Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Corbin or Mustang Solo seat  (Read 11106 times)

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
Corbin or Mustang Solo seat
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »

OK I really can not decide what to get next for the bike. However, I hardly ever ride two up anymore and do love the solo look. Look wise the Corbin really does it for me, especially because I can add the chrome V rail - I like nostalgic looking bikes. On the other had the Corbin is only 13" wide while the mustang is 15, making the mustang better for my fat A$$. I also remember hearing from folks that Corbin seats are hard. I did have a Mustang on my 03 heritage, but I wound up putting a gel pad on top of it....... Any info is appreciated!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Corbin or Mustang Solo seat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »

OK I really can not decide what to get next for the bike. However, I hardly ever ride two up anymore and do love the solo look. Look wise the Corbin really does it for me, especially because I can add the chrome V rail - I like nostalgic looking bikes. On the other had the Corbin is only 13" wide while the mustang is 15, making the mustang better for my fat A$$. I also remember hearing from folks that Corbin seats are hard. I did have a Mustang on my 03 heritage, but I wound up putting a gel pad on top of it....... Any info is appreciated!

Corbin seats are firm, not hard.  It's a distinction with a difference.  Firm is load spreading and sharing distribution across the field.  Hard is a board against your ass.

You're right, when you grab a Corbin it doesn't feel at all plush or comfy or luxurious to your hand.  For some reason the ass has as a different interpretation than the hand though.  Have sat on a Corbin solo a few times.  My derrier is not at all narrow either.  The Solo has seemed fine.  So the extra width of the Mustang may not be necessary.

Both saddles are generally deemed comfortable by their owners.  So it may come to do choices of cost and appearance.  Personally after having done them so long and so many times I just about can't not do the Corbins.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »

I had the wide Mustang solo with studs and backrest on my 2000 RK & loved it. Smacked up the RK & ended up ordering a brand new Heritage & a new Mustang solo to match. Never did take delivery of the Heritage & bought an Ultra instead. Still have the brand new Mustang solo with studs and built in backrest sitting in the box. I run a Corbin Heated on my new bike. For a solo I don't think that you can go wrong with the Mustang. Kuryakyn makes a nice rail for the Mustang. Good luck :2vrolijk_21:

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »

Thanks! Twolanerider do you know the part # for the Kuryakyn part? I also live well within a ride down to Corbin so I emailed them about going there and having the seat made to fit me - not sure if that is extra $$ but I am sure they will let me know

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

Thanks! Twolanerider do you know the part # for the Kuryakyn part? I also live well within a ride down to Corbin so I emailed them about going there and having the seat made to fit me - not sure if that is extra $$ but I am sure they will let me know

Sorry but I couldn't quickly find it.  Muffman mentioned the Kuryakyn part for a Mustang seat.  On a quick search I didn't see it though.  If you're calling Corbin they've got a rail for their seat though.  I've got the same rail on my tan ostrich dual tour seat.  It's a nice looking piece.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

Sorry but I couldn't quickly find it.  Muffman mentioned the Kuryakyn part for a Mustang seat.  On a quick search I didn't see it though.  If you're calling Corbin they've got a rail for their seat though.  I've got the same rail on my tan ostrich dual tour seat.  It's a nice looking piece.

I'm coming up with part # 9033. I don't have the book with me to verify. I had one on my 2000RK so I'm not sure if this is for that or the solo.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

I cannot personally vouch for the mustang, but my husband just replaced his at in and around the 70,000 mile mark.  He replaced it with the Corbin tour dual heated seat that Don is telling you about. I have a solo Corbin, - with the chrome railing - and it has about that same plus minus 70,000 miles on it.  Jamey's mustang was beginning to have lost it's original firmness, and after several hours of riding, he envisioned he could feel the bike frame.  My seat ---- still feels fantastic.  However, on his mustang, the cover still looks brand new.  On my seat, the cover is very badly worn.  So ------ based on this knowledge and observation - going with comfort over beauty, I'd go Corbin again if buying. Cheaper to get a cover than a whole new seat.  

Saying all that too though, I think I will be getting a whole new seat this year ----- cause I want the solo with the heat.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:33:57 AM by Mrs.We »

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

Bikerbehaviorist,

First of all, nice choice of scoot!  Let me say, as a fellow, let's just say, wider than average "arse" rider, I was terribly dissapointed with the Mustang.  It sure feels good for about 100 miles or so, but then, the seat starts to apply pressure at the crease area of the thigh and the hip area.  After a while, it starts to feel like your jeans are crinkled there or something, but no chance, smooth and creaseless.  Nonetheless, the pain increases until the ride terminates.  The extra width of the seat may well contribute to this discomfort.  The Mustang is firm, but doesn't give the same distributed support that the firmer Corbin gives.  If solo is your preference, I can't even imagine passing on the Corbin Solo.  The CVO version of that seat for our bike is gorgeous.  I'm presently waiting for them to release the dual tour CVO for the '08.  Get the Corbin and don't even look back.  Corbin with heat,.... SWEET!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

I've had Mustangs and I've got a Corbin now. I'm done with the Mustang. It was better than the stock seat, but it still wore out. Corbin is it for me now. :)

:indian_chief:

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »

Bikerbehaviorist,

First of all, nice choice of scoot!  Let me say, as a fellow, let's just say, wider than average "arse" rider, I was terribly dissapointed with the Mustang.  It sure feels good for about 100 miles or so, but then, the seat starts to apply pressure at the crease area of the thigh and the hip area.  After a while, it starts to feel like your jeans are crinkled there or something, but no chance, smooth and creaseless.  Nonetheless, the pain increases until the ride terminates.  The extra width of the seat may well contribute to this discomfort.  The Mustang is firm, but doesn't give the same distributed support that the firmer Corbin gives.  If solo is your preference, I can't even imagine passing on the Corbin Solo.  The CVO version of that seat for our bike is gorgeous.  I'm presently waiting for them to release the dual tour CVO for the '08.  Get the Corbin and don't even look back.  Corbin with heat,.... SWEET!

I'll second the above opinion about the Mustang seat, once it gets uncomfortable it stays uncomfortable for the rest of the ride. At least with the Corbin if your rear gets sore during a long ride, just take a short break and you can get back in the saddle and continue on your ride.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:56 AM »

Corbin.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:38 PM »

Emailed Corbin monday and have not heard back - not to happy about that - I will call tomorrow

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »

Emailed Corbin monday and have not heard back - not to happy about that - I will call tomorrow
Personally, I was never happy with email response, and it has been said here over the years that email is not Corbin's best foot forward.  Phone them, I think you may be much happier.  The response is instant, because it seems for every question and then answer, there is yet another question.  Electronic communication in this venue leaves one too much potential for frustration.

:coolblue: :cherry:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:15:34 AM by Mrs.We »

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:20 AM »

I know in my line of work my responses to any e-mail inquiries always come in 2nd to direct verbal contact.Phone call is the way to go.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »

They meade me mental getting it, they even gave me a little rebate after I bitched. But the seat sure is comfy.

Miker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.