Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tallest Wild 1 Chubby on 03 SERK w/o Cable Change?  (Read 12270 times)

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
Re: Tallest Wild 1 Chubby on 03 SERK w/o Cable Change?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 12:57:15 PM »

I just Installed a Set of Wild One 10" chubby mini apes, stock cables. needed to chance risers.This is one modification that I think was worth every dime. Much more comfy.

I am wondering if I went with 10" on the 03 SERK if I could get by without cable change?

Did you add risers and single clamp too?
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »

The top clamps are 55917-79A and 55918-79A.  Rather than the two small separate top clamps, however, use the bigger and stronger one piece top clamp that is part number 56170-83T.  Wild1 recommends a one piece clamp.  Using it will take some potential flex out of the middle of the handlebars.  It's a good idea.

The risers are 56149-88B and 56151-88B.  

If you change the riser bushings you might consider the polyurethane rather than the stock rubber bushings.  Most consider this an improvement (me included).  That bushing kit is 56298-03.

Wild 1 site recommended a different clamp....http://www.wild1inc.com/TECH_TIPS.html.

I need all chrome parts on the riser and the handle bar bracket...because of all the chrome on the SERK, zinc would look out of place.

Is the one you are recommending chrome or something?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:47:42 PM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »

The top clamps are 55917-79A and 55918-79A.  Rather than the two small separate top clamps, however, use the bigger and stronger one piece top clamp that is part number 56170-83T.  Wild1 recommends a one piece clamp.  Using it will take some potential flex out of the middle of the handlebars.  It's a good idea.

The risers are 56149-88B and 56151-88B.  

If you change the riser bushings you might consider the polyurethane rather than the stock rubber bushings.  Most consider this an improvement (me included).  That bushing kit is 56298-03.

Twolanerider . . .

I had an 03 Fatboy. . . got run over on it . . . totaled me for a whule and totaled the bike forever.  But, I do have in my possession the stock risers off that 03 Fatboy (had a stock 1" bar) . . . I am wondering if those stock 1" bar size  risers off the 03 Fatboy would be the same part number as you are telling me to get?

What do you think?  I am getting ready now to order everything in a few minutes . . . going to go with the 8.5 bars just because I cannot get a verification that I could do the 10" ones without a cable changing.
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »

Wild 1 site recommended a different clamp....http://www.wild1inc.com/TECH_TIPS.html.

I need all chrome parts on the riser and the handle bar bracket...because of all the chrome on the SERK, zinc would look out of place.

Is the one you are recommending chrome or something?

There are several one piece clamps.  All accomplush the same thing.  Part number I listed just happens to be least expensive of the many options.  The clamp is covered by the handlebar cover so that's a place you don't have to pay extra unless you just want to. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

Twolanerider . . .

I had an 03 Fatboy. . . got run over on it . . . totaled me for a whule and totaled the bike forever.  But, I do have in my possession the stock risers off that 03 Fatboy (had a stock 1" bar) . . . I am wondering if those stock 1" bar size  risers off the 03 Fatboy would be the same part number as you are telling me to get?

What do you think?  I am getting ready now to order everything in a few minutes . . . going to go with the 8.5 bars just because I cannot get a verification that I could do the 10" ones without a cable changing.

Without looking I don't know if the risers are interchangeable.  Not where I can check for a few hours either.  The 8" versus 10" bars are a crap shoot.  Once in awhile guys can use the taller ones without changing cables.  Usually at least the brake line is an issue though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:02:28 PM by Twolanerider »

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »

Thanks Twolanerider . . .

I ordered the 8.5 inch . . . just to make sure I do not have any cables to change.

I asked the tech at Wild 1 and he said I could use the 03 Fatboy stock risers no problem . . . saved a few bucks there recycling!  :-)

The dealer is closed today, but I am ordering the bushings you recommended while I am in there and the $16 clamp/

You saved me some bucks and a lot of headaches!  New bars will be here Friday . . . Foster HD opens tomorrow and I can get those parts and some others ordered . . . time for some highway pegs too!

Now, what do you suggest for highway clamps and pegs?  :-)
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »

My stock cables just wouldn't stretch far enough.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »

Thanks Twolanerider . . .

I ordered the 8.5 inch . . . just to make sure I do not have any cables to change.

I asked the tech at Wild 1 and he said I could use the 03 Fatboy stock risers no problem . . . saved a few bucks there recycling!  :-)

The dealer is closed today, but I am ordering the bushings you recommended while I am in there and the $16 clamp/

You saved me some bucks and a lot of headaches!  New bars will be here Friday . . . Foster HD opens tomorrow and I can get those parts and some others ordered . . . time for some highway pegs too!

Now, what do you suggest for highway clamps and pegs?  :-)

...and on a Road King rather than a fairinged bike the job is a relatively simple one too.  Biggest hassle will getting the wires in and out of the bars.  Once that's done the rest is gravy :2vrolijk_21: .

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »

My stock cables just wouldn't stretch far enough.

Ha!  Ha!  Sharp looking though!  What make and size are the bars?

2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
Tallest Wild 1 Chubby on 03 SERK w/o Cable Change?
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »

I put the Wild1 12.5 inch apes on my SERK. I also added Alloy Art polyurethane bushings and a 1 piece riser vs. the 2 singular risers for added strength. I ordered 2 inch over cables but found out that my bike came with 2 inch over cables. I love the look and feel of my bars. I may go taller in the near future.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »

Wild 1 16"
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »

I put the Wild1 12.5 inch apes on my SERK. I also added Alloy Art polyurethane bushings and a 1 piece riser vs. the 2 singular risers for added strength. I ordered 2 inch over cables but found out that my bike came with 2 inch over cables. I love the look and feel of my bars. I may go taller in the near future.

Sharp looking!  I went with the 8.5 to be safe on the cables.  Probably will regret it....but I doubt the 03 SERK came with extra cable...why I was hoping to hear from more 03 SERK owners...the ones I heard from said 8.5 for sure, maybe 10" possible with cable reroute.

Already ordered the bushings at Twolanerider's encouragement.
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »

Wild 1 16"

Nice look....but I know you changed the cables!  :-)
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »

By the way . . . love the look of your breather . . . I am shopping for a new one, but by default have been leaning toward the SE Heavy Breather . . . how do you feel about the Wimmer?
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »

Just installed the Wild 1 8.5 inch mini-apes . . . I believe the 10" would have worked without a cable change.  Too late now . . . don't want to undo it all now!  :-)
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.