CVO Technical > Drive Train

Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage

(1/25) > >>

Twolanerider:
Week and a half or so ago everyone had to suffer through my laments when the trans in the red bike shelled.  All the parts and tools arrived this past Thursday but each time I'd expected to tear it apart something else came up.

Finished all I had to do this evening about 10:30 and curiosity got the best of me.  So put everything away then started tearing the bike apart.  It was unexpectedly bad.  I was really shocked by the condition. 

Brief review was that it had not been making any noise.  It had just made the 2500+ trip back and forth to York, PA without incident; pulling the trailer at interstate speeds.  Had run around here briefly after returning then one afternoon cruising a county road easily in 4th at about 45 it suddenly screeched for a second and completely locked up.

With the engine off I could shift it between 2-3-4.  It would roll in 2 and 3.  Still locked up in 4th.  Where it died was not immediately accessible by trailer so it went noisily in 2nd about 3/8 mile to the trailer and then from the trailer in to the garage upon getting it home.

Knew it was going to be bad when this was on the drain plug right after getting it home:

Twolanerider:
Knew it was going to be really bad when this was under the top cover:

Twolanerider:
But I didn't really expect it to look like this.  Not with so few turns on it after the sudden failure. 

Twolanerider:
Inner cage from the main shaft bearing.

Twolanerider:
More generic ugliness after it had been sprayed down with brake cleaner to get a better look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version