CVO Technical > Drive Train

anyone have a clutch issue?

<< < (2/6) > >>

hd-dude:
Ditto what Jerry said :2vrolijk_21:

mjb765:

--- Quote from: grc on October 07, 2009, 08:50:31 AM ---If the clutch is dragging enough to affect shifting and force you to kill the engine when stopping in gear, that's not going to be fixed by a change of trans fluid.  You're on the right track with the air in the line comment, that's the first thing to check and it has been a fairly common issue since H-D started installing hydraulic clutches.  There have also been instances of defective actuators (the part under the trans side cover) that wouldn't provide full travel of the clutch release rod, but those are relatively rare.  If a thorough bleeding of the system doesn't help, the dealer needs to measure the travel of the release rod against the specification.

Jerry

--- End quote ---

Just mentioning what had happend to me. If he has extreme symptoms, then I agree, a fluid change will not fix it. With mine the clutch was dragging a bit and it was tough to find neutral and the switch in fluids took care of that.

Ultra2010:
My  new (300 miles) CUSE is also VERY hard to hit neutral. See my post "Transmission Whine in 1st Gear" in this section.  Also she "clunks" like I've never seen or heard before when going into first from neutral.  Dealer pulling the transmission next Wednesday......

grc:

--- Quote from: Ultra2010 on October 07, 2009, 12:10:35 PM ---My  new (300 miles) CUSE is also VERY hard to hit neutral. See my post "Transmission Whine in 1st Gear" in this section.  Also she "clunks" like I've never seen or heard before when going into first from neutral.  Dealer pulling the transmission next Wednesday......

--- End quote ---

Try this and see if your neutral to first clunk gets better.  Pull in the clutch fully, quickly "blip" the throttle to 2000-2500 and immediately let it return to idle, wait at least 5 seconds with the clutch still held in and then try to engage first gear.  This will eliminate the clunk on most bikes I've tried it on, and it's a good indication of how much the Harley clutch drags.  When you hold the clutch lever in and quickly rev the engine, it helps break the clutch plates loose.  The input shaft stops spinning (the 5 seconds is to let the shaft and gears slow down or come to a stop), and now there is no clunk.  In fact, with the gears sitting still you might find it hard to engage first until you start to release the clutch.

Of course, the above "solution" isn't really a solution, it just helps show where the problem is really coming from.  I use that technique on the first shift into first on a cold start, but once the bike is warmed up it isn't necessary.  Until your clutch plates get worn in a bit, you may find the clunk will even be there when warmed up.  Assuming no air in the system or other problem with the hydraulics, you should see improved shifting as the clutch plates wear in.

Jerry

bbowler:
     Thanks all. I called the dealer and they said first thing was the clutch spring needed to be replaced. Once they fix that he will test it and see if all is well or if it is something more serious. I'll keep ya posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version