CVO Technical > Drive Train

2010 SECU Transmission DISASTER

(1/2) > >>

Ultra2010:
Looking for some assistance, ideas....  Had a loud whine in first gear while coasting with clutch pulled in.  Selling dealer came and picked it up,  checked it out, drained old fluid, test rode and said, no problem the noise is normal.  I was so happy everything was OK.  Got the bike back yesterday (delivered).  This morning I got about 1.5 miles from home and suddenly the transmission would not disengage, could not hit neutral and could hardly hit any gear.  Bike died in traffic, very difficult to start and the SOB taxi driver behind me just hammered his horn the entire time. Got it going and pulled into a parking lot to unpucker my a$$, it was scary!   In the parking lot the clutch in 1st gear suddenly would disengage so I headed home, then it did it again.  Had to shut the bike off at intersections since I could not stop.  I know I'm not explaining this very well but chit, 318 miles on this $40,000 thing, been in the shop more time than I've had it home and now it's going back again................  Dealer (different one) is going to call sometime this afternoon to make arrangements to come and pick it up, "sometime" this week. The initial dealership who serviced it said it was not cost effective to come and get it "everytime", I kinda agree, they are 145 miles away, but I made a few trips there to buy from them.   Waited a VERY long time to get a CVO, now I'm just shaking my head and cannot even begin to explain just how disappointed I am.  Not being able to stop the bike from "running away" is one scary dang thing, never happened to me on any other bike and I've had many of them over the years.  I really HATE to say this, but the best bike I ever had was my 89 Goldwing. It never once left me along the road but my 92 FXSTC and 07 FLHX both have....... and now the 2010 SECU pretty much did too.   It's a little early, but I'm gonna have a beer and cry into the bubbles, nah, given how early it is, I think a coffee and Bailey's will do just fine.  lol

9 1/2 Beers:

--- Quote from: Ultra2010 on October 27, 2009, 02:42:47 PM ---Looking for some assistance, ideas....  Had a loud whine in first gear while coasting with clutch pulled in.  Selling dealer came and picked it up,  checked it out, drained old fluid, test rode and said, no problem the noise is normal.  I was so happy everything was OK.  Got the bike back yesterday (delivered).  This morning I got about 1.5 miles from home and suddenly the transmission would not disengage, could not hit neutral and could hardly hit any gear.  Bike died in traffic, very difficult to start and the SOB taxi driver behind me just hammered his horn the entire time. Got it going and pulled into a parking lot to unpucker my a$$, it was scary!   In the parking lot the clutch in 1st gear suddenly would disengage so I headed home, then it did it again.  Had to shut the bike off at intersections since I could not stop.  I know I'm not explaining this very well but chit, 318 miles on this $40,000 thing, been in the shop more time than I've had it home and now it's going back again................  Dealer (different one) is going to call sometime this afternoon to make arrangements to come and pick it up, "sometime" this week. The initial dealership who serviced it said it was not cost effective to come and get it "everytime", I kinda agree, they are 145 miles away, but I made a few trips there to buy from them.   Waited a VERY long time to get a CVO, now I'm just shaking my head and cannot even begin to explain just how disappointed I am.  Not being able to stop the bike from "running away" is one scary dang thing, never happened to me on any other bike and I've had many of them over the years.  I really HATE to say this, but the best bike I ever had was my 89 Goldwing. It never once left me along the road but my 92 FXSTC and 07 FLHX both have....... and now the 2010 SECU pretty much did too.   It's a little early, but I'm gonna have a beer and cry into the bubbles, nah, given how early it is, I think a coffee and Bailey's will do just fine.  lol

--- End quote ---

This is something JC wrote earlier :

Seems that many of them have air in the lines.  

Mine was fine for the first twenty or thirty miles or so.  But at about fifty miles it started getting hard to shift or find neutral.  When I finally got off the highway and stopped, it didn't want to stop.....kept creeping forward to the point where when I grabbed the front brake it killed the motor.

Bled the clutch and it was all good.....for awhile.  Eventually, it started doing it again the next day.  Was at Jim's for the first service and he bled it.....over and over and over.  It would get to where it appears like it's completly bled and when you're just about ready to stop.....then more air bubbles in there.  It took awhile.  Now it shifts fine and neutral is like hot butter.

Ultra2010:
Thanks for your input. This was not "creeping" forward, this was 20 MPH running forward @1500 or so RPMs.  I'll look into and pass on to the dealer every suggestion I get, thanks I really appreciate it. 

sadunbar:

--- Quote from: Ultra2010 on October 27, 2009, 03:08:08 PM ---Thanks for your input. This was not "creeping" forward, this was 20 MPH running forward @1500 or so RPMs.  I'll look into and pass on to the dealer every suggestion I get, thanks I really appreciate it. 

--- End quote ---

"Selling dealer came and picked it up,  checked it out, drained old fluid, test rode and said, no problem the noise is normal."

Sounds like the same basic issue that JC experienced - just to a greater degree.  You were essentially trying to ride without a clutch...  Sounds as though the first dealership did a poor job of bleeding the air from the hydraulic clutch when they drained and refilled it.  Given that it is a new bike, it is strange they would drain it in the first place...  I think you are fortunate it is to much trouible for them to come pick up your bike.  Better luck with the new dealership.

NVTHIS:
U10 I feel for you and remember it's never to early to start drinking. LOL

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version