Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2011 FLTRUSE REPLACEMENT TIRE OPTIONS  (Read 6500 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2011 FLTRUSE REPLACEMENT TIRE OPTIONS
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »

If your tires are cupping, you're not running enough air.

:nixweiss:   Air pressure is important but not everything.  Suspension, surface, weight, etc.  all contribute.  Here is a very informative article:  Motorcycle Tire Wear.  On my SERG3, riding mostly solo,  I got 17,000 miles out of a set of stock Dunlops.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mark

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 08:44:27 AM »

I run 38F and 42R and got about 12K miles out of the first set, and 11,600 out of the second set with no cupping.

Mine cupped and I check tire pressure every one - two weeks.  I think the Dunlops are just prone to cupping.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »

Mine cupped and I check tire pressure every one - two weeks.  I think the Dunlops are just prone to cupping.

I think you're right.  The problem got worse when they introduced the Multi-Tread product, and I still believe it has a lot to do with the transition area from the harder center compound to the softer side compound.  At the same time, they also changed from a more traditional tread pattern to the current system which can also be a factor.  But of course I don't have the test facilities necessary to prove my theory, and the folks who do aren't talking.

Since the H-D recommended inflation pressure is 40 psi, and the maximum I believe on the sidewall is 42, I'm not sure what anyone means by running higher air pressures will cure the cupping.  If they're running significantly over the max safe pressure on the sidewall, I'd suggest not trying to convince others to take the same risk they are.  Yes, running much higher pressures will reduce flexing of the tire and put more of the load on the center of the tread, and that might have some affect on the cupping.  But trading a little less cupping for safety isn't a great idea, especially when you only have one tire holding the rear of the bike (and thus your rear as well) off the ground.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:19:36 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »

:nixweiss:   Air pressure is important but not everything.  Suspension, surface, weight, etc.  all contribute.  Here is a very informative article:  Motorcycle Tire Wear.  On my SERG3, riding mostly solo, I got 17,000 miles out of a set of stock Dunlops.

getting that kind of mileage out of the 407 is telling me you ride like a girl.  :drink:

from my understanding the american elite multi tread compound tire has undergone several updates since inception. The HD branded tire has not. :nixweiss:

Ride em if ya got em
Wut the hell was that maneuver

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »

getting that kind of mileage out of the 407 is telling me you ride like a girl.  :drink:

from my understanding the american elite multi tread compound tire has undergone several updates since inception. The HD branded tire has not. :nixweiss:

Ride em if ya got em

I like fast women!  ;-)

Via Mobile

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:55:36 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »

I like fast women!  ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Roger that.   
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.