Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: low speed wobble on decell  (Read 2680 times)

2015 CVO STREET GLIDE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

low speed wobble on decell
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »

I am having an issue with a low speed wobble on decell when letting off the throttle at approximately 40 mph all the way down to mid 20's if I don't hold on to the handle bars. This started happening after I had put on a detachable tour pack. Has anyone else had this happen. Dealer say's fall away is fine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: low speed wobble on decell
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »

I am having an issue with a low speed wobble on decell when letting off the throttle at approximately 40 mph all the way down to mid 20's if I don't hold on to the handle bars. This started happening after I had put on a detachable tour pack. Has anyone else had this happen. Dealer say's fall away is fine.

No matter what the dealer say's, this was a common problem on previous model year Road Glides as well and it was necessary to run the steering head bearing preload on the tight side of the spec to eliminate the decel wobble.  You will find many posts on the site from owners of pre-Rushed More RG's with the same problem, and most of their dealerships also told them the steering head preload was OK.  What I'm saying is, get a second opinion from a different tech or dealership.  And you might want to question how they checked the bearing preload, since the proper term for the 2014 and later Touring bikes is Swing Back, not fall away.  There is a difference in how the test is performed, and doing a fall away test instead of the proper swing back test will result in incorrect results. 

Btw, as the attachment shows (click on it for full size), the specs are different for batwing bikes, regular Road Glides, and the CVO Road Glide.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »

Thought that was more of a road glide issue.    :'(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:14:56 PM by cvostu »

2015 CVO STREET GLIDE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »

From what I have read so far, it happens more so with a tour pack, or any weight behind the rear axle.
This bike did not do it until 2500 miles hit so I figured it loosened up, but they checked it and say its ok.   Frustrating for a 40k motorcycle to have such an issue.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »

Thought that was more of a road glide issue.    :'(

Damn, I don't know how I managed to read SG and think RG.  Good catch Stu.  Sorry for the inappropriate response 2015CVOStreetGlide.  I'm going to blame it on staying up late last night watching the Blackhawks.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »

Damn, I don't know how I managed to read SG and think RG.  Good catch Stu.  Sorry for the inappropriate response 2015CVOStreetGlide.  I'm going to blame it on staying up late last night watching the Blackhawks.

Jerry

Dang

You stayed up late to watch the Blackhawks...and they lost! 

(so did I)    :(

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

2015 CVO STREET GLIDE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »

I wonder what the spec 's are for a limited CVO as that is closer to what I have with the tour pack. I will bet is is tighter or shorter distance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »

I wonder what the spec 's are for a limited CVO as that is closer to what I have with the tour pack. I will bet is is tighter or shorter distance.

Not really.  Look at the attachment I posted previously and note that there is only one spec range listed for all batwing models, 1.7 - 2.6 inches.  I was about to mention that just adding a Tour Pak shouldn't cause this issue, since the other e'glides that come standard with a Tour Pak don't have the same problem.  You might want to try experimenting with the rear shock preload to see if it has any affect, since you're running a 12 inch shock and the other e'glides have 13 inch shocks.  When the rear end is lowered it does affect steering head angle (rake) and trail slightly.  If the rear is set too low and you add the weight of a T-P behind the rear axle, it may make just enough difference to create your problem.  It shouldn't if everything else is right, but we all know how that goes on a Harley.

I'd still look into the steering head preload adjustment.

Jerry

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.