Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: CVO 110 Engine Longevity  (Read 31025 times)

HarleyFool59

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

CVO 110 Engine Longevity
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:21:30 AM »

New member, so this is my first post, although I have used this forum for years reviewing opinions and experiences.  Great site!

Anyway, I am the proud (original) owner of a 2011 CVO Street Glide with the 110 motor.  I've experienced all of the heat problems fellow posters have mentioned, which I dealt with using three fans, two on the motor and replaced oil cooler with fan assisted model.  Also using PowerVision to monitor engine temp and tweak fuel-air mixture. Over the last year bike has been making lots of noise.  I tore apart the cam case to find one of the cam bearings had failed, so took motor apart for that.  In the process, I replaced the cam bearings, cams, cam plate and oil pump with S&S TC3, and roller rockers (which required clearancing in rocker covers).  After bike back together it ran well, but still making noise.  Took to dealer and they informed me that they had never seen a 110 motor with over 32K miles that didn't need a new engine.  My bike has 49K miles.  My question to the forum, does anyone out there have over 50K miles on a original 110 engine? 

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: CVO 110 Engine Longevity
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

New member, so this is my first post, although I have used this forum for years reviewing opinions and experiences.  Great site!

Anyway, I am the proud (original) owner of a 2011 CVO Street Glide with the 110 motor.  I've experienced all of the heat problems fellow posters have mentioned, which I dealt with using three fans, two on the motor and replaced oil cooler with fan assisted model.  Also using PowerVision to monitor engine temp and tweak fuel-air mixture. Over the last year bike has been making lots of noise.  I tore apart the cam case to find one of the cam bearings had failed, so took motor apart for that.  In the process, I replaced the cam bearings, cams, cam plate and oil pump with S&S TC3, and roller rockers (which required clearancing in rocker covers).  After bike back together it ran well, but still making noise.  Took to dealer and they informed me that they had never seen a 110 motor with over 32K miles that didn't need a new engine.  My bike has 49K miles.  My question to the forum, does anyone out there have over 50K miles on a original 110 engine?
[/color]

I think we would all like to know. I lost an inner cam bearing at 22K.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:25:31 AM »

A couple of years ago I decided to replace the cam at about 20,000 miles to help with the heat on my 2011 CVO Streetglide.

Good thing! Found scored lifter and cam lob just in time.

I think the 110 is a box of junk. Cam, lifter issues. Knocking rockers. Already on 4th compensator.

Love the bike, hate the motor.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:44:29 AM »

Quite honestly all you did is a partial repair. When a bearing lets go metal travels.
If it were mine I would pull the motor and start from the bottom up. Pull the oil pan and clean it and the same for the oil cooler, if that can be done effectively.
Clean or replace all lines.

The 255 stock cam is noisy, period. The stock lifters are no help and have a short life cycle. New cam and lifters, adjustable pushrods. The cylinder to piston fit and the cylinders need to be checked for taper and size, fix as needed. The crank should be pulled apart, cleaned and checked, trued and pinned at minimum, perhaps rods honed and other work as needed. The new oil pump will need to be cleaned and checked. The heads should be reconditioned with new guides and beehive springs. The main bearings replaced. The piston jets replaced.

Anything less than what I am suggesting, a very high level plan, not too detailed, is a waste of time and money in my opinion.
You will see guys on these forums chasing issues and never getting the reliability possible by doing partial fixes.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:59:35 AM »

At around 35k I had cams, lifters and pushrods done w/Thundermax.......I really like the performance compared to stock. Currently sitting at 52k.......does she chatter?, sure does :-X

I want an S&S 124 that performs the same or better with less chatter. My goal will be reality when I finally pull that trigger. :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »

Tightened mine up at 17,000 miles with new cam Andrews 48, lifters, rocker lockers, bee-hive springs, .010 overbore on the tight side, Malhe pistons, new oil pump (playing it safe). Runs great and a whole bunch quieter. Followed up with a professsional tune by Dyno Dave at Pocono HD. 99HP...114 TQ. It is a shame that HD sends these bikes out in a poor state of tune and slopppy tolerances.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »

How about the twin cooled 110 on 14 and newer. Mine seems to run very cool and quite.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 06:25:23 PM »

It seems like the week points are the cams and lifters. If you change those early on does that eliminate most problems along with a good tune?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 06:56:55 AM »

How about the twin cooled 110 on 14 and newer. Mine seems to run very cool and quite.

They still have lifter issues and compensator issues.  I know of a 14 CVO limited who's lifters when out while we were riding mount Rainer, so we were a long way from home, 21K on the bike.

Another friend had his motor replaced in a 15 SERGU for lifter issues at 35K or so miles.

I had my motor replaced on my 15 SERGU with 43K miles on it.

Lifters fail in the 110's.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »

2008 CVO road king stage I tune, after initial cylinder gasket recall, 28k with no engine issues other than normal 110 engine valve train noise.

2010 CVO ultra stage III kit. In 55k I had to replace lifters and cams twice due to galling and wear. Other issues such as oil leaks and break system but it never left me stranded.

2015 CVO RG 7,500 miles , going in for 117 kit. I'll let you know what the cams and lifters look like

HarleyFool59

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

Appreciate all the feedback.  Looks like a few bikes out there with over 50K, but very few!  Going to probably end up trading bike in for a 2017 CVO, but dealer tells me they'll have to replace motor, so that's coming off trade-in.   >:(  Sure would like to have a bullet-proof motor from the factory with the bells and whistles of a CVO, but doesn't look like that's in the cards.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »

Sure would like to have a bullet-proof motor from the factory with the bells and whistles of a CVO, but doesn't look like that's in the cards.
Different make maybe, but not one of these.....jus sayin  :coolblue:
You basically have to spend 45k for the scoot, then 10k to make it right....... maybe then you'll be close :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

kcbike

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 06:02:12 PM »

89k on my 2012 skunk did get 577 cams pushrods and S&S premium lifters along with TTS mastertune and fullsac DX and 2.25 baffles...030 cometic head gaskets.... contemplating freshening up this winter ...at dyno in June still pulled 106 HP and 118 tq

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »

CVO 110 Engine Longevity?

About 30% (on a good day) what modern standards suggest it should be.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »

Oil pump, cams and lifters at 69,000.
Bill

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »

They last forever when you put em in a box. ;D

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »

They last forever when you put em in a box. ;D
And they make great paperweights then.   :(
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »

I haven't moved it but I did look and it's still in there. :huepfenlol2:

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

I haven't moved it but I did look and it's still in there. :huepfenlol2:
Not surprised it's still there--they're famous for not running.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »

After reading this and other posts about the 110 longevity, what else besides replacing lifters would need to be done to extend the life of the motor to 100K miles?

On my 2004 FLHTCSE, I had the Timken bearing upgrade done, switched to gear cams (adj push rods and new lifters) crank was to out of tolerance so went with S&S crank, fueling cam back plate and oil pump. Bike had 69K and ran strong when I sold it.

Would something similar need to be done to the 110?

Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 04:54:44 PM »

After reading this and other posts about the 110 longevity, what else besides replacing lifters would need to be done to extend the life of the motor to 100K miles?

On my 2004 FLHTCSE, I had the Timken bearing upgrade done, switched to gear cams (adj push rods and new lifters) crank was to out of tolerance so went with S&S crank, fueling cam back plate and oil pump. Bike had 69K and ran strong when I sold it.

Ride safe!

My plan, and I am already on my second motor, is to wait until I hit 75k to invest any coin in the motor. If the replacement motor pops again, ESP will cover. Then at 75k the motor is coming out and getting bulletproofed. There are plenty of threads here on bulletproofing the 110. It's crank, valve springs, lifters, etc, all that jazz.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »

I must be doing something wrong... while I don't get to ride 360 days out of the year, I have still managed to put over 28,000mi on my bike.

The only thing internal that was changed was a performance clutch from Barnett.

The right side front wheel bearing was replace this season.

I had the TTS MasterTune programmed for Hot Weather prior to a trip to Texas and back, and other than running Crusher True Duals with the Tailgunners exhaust pipes... all is Stock.

I've owned, and been riding bikes since '85... and of course this CVO Ultra is by far my favorite from all my other bikes.

Even my Mechanic has told me several times to leave the 110 alone, as the engine was physically built the way it is, to run as it does.  His only recommendation was to ensure the tuning was appropriate, and not necessarily stock.

In my opinion, when stock engines begin to break inside of 10,000mi... something went wrong in the production of that engine.

I just recently visited an HD Engine Production facility and took the tour.  If they do everything they claim to do as described during the tour process... something slipped past them.

T-Hawk
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »

40 k Om my 14 SERK . The rod bearing went out. Glad for ESP Saved me 5 grand. MY 07 SERK had the engine qrand trans repaired about 3 time each plus 3 compensator. No compensators on this bike so far. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »

My 2015 CVO Road Glide got a new motor last month at 18,000 miles. The crank bearings went out, of course, lifters and cams were trashed too. During the teardown, they found the stator bad so replaced it too. The worst part was, when I picked the bike up, they told me it had bad lifters but HD Factory wanted me to ride it to see if it quieted down. Of course it didn't so back into another shop for new lifters--the first engine failed 1200 miles from my home. The bike already had front wheel bearings and new compensator installed. This bike is completely stock and at my age, I ride it easy. The bike is still under factory warranty until the end of this month, then I already have ESP in place.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 12:47:23 PM »

This is so disappointing!   My last CVO had about 30K and this one is at 20K. Everything stock except exhaust and the basic tune. So far she just runs great!  I have never had a bike die at just low mileage. I hope I don't have that happen now. I expect a lot of miles from this engine.  I have my fingers crossed.  :-\

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »

17k. All good. 2014 wethead
Will

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »

My original motor died at 83,693 miles due to lifter imploding and eating up the engine case and destroying many other internals.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:29:25 AM by FLTRCVO »

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »

Just replaced cam plate and oil pump at 57 low pressure so I checked it both scored badly also sns lifters it now has a tic so I am going to try and fix that.  Plus compensator done at 40. Just did trap door bearings on trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 12:28:15 AM »

My 2010 CVO Street Glide has 65000 miles so far.  Not one issue
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

OakleyFreak

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »

I must not be lucky
I have a 2010
I got it with 9600 on the clock now has 17000.
was getting set to do cams, used 1 qt oil about 1000 to 1500 miles
That concerned me
So we tore it down over the weekend, good and bad news
Leak down test was good 7 and 8 %  but valve guides were leaking, and the exhaust valves are white, (Got hot) CCP was 230
It was bone stock with a set of V&H slip ons when i got it
I added a breather system to the Intake and put true duals on it to shed the heat from the cat with a good tune.
also the rubber seals on the intake were like hard plastic, would have been as issue if I kept riding it.
Lots of Carbon on the pistons , prob why the CCP was a little high
Crank run out was 5

So head work, cams and lifters  58mm TB and 5.3 injectors
Will be for a fun Summer 2017

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »

Threads like this one are what prompted me to replace my 110" engine in my 2010 SESG.

After I gave consideration of fixing all the poorly designed/selected components of the 110", including reworking the bottom end to handle the increased power of a larger displacement kit, I decided a full engine replacement was best.

I finally have peace of mind with regard to reliability of my CVO.  These threads are kinda depressing!   :(

smenard415

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »

Greetings,

Not a frequent poster but been on the list for many years.  I have a 2009 CVO S/E Roadglide, orange and black, best looking Harley I've ever owned and in 40 years of riding HD i've owned a bunch.  I love this bike and I plan to keep it for a long time.  Having said that this is without a doubt the worst HD i've ever owned as far as the motor goes. 

It has made rocker box/valve train noise ever since it was new.  I had a hot rod 95in in my previous Roadglide so I was familiar with the typical twin cam rattle so I just put louder mufflers on it.  8)  At 36k I am on my 4th compensator and I'm not sure about the one that is in it now even though it has the S/E version with the glue on plastic parts in the primary cover.

We got home from a 8 day, 2400 mile trip around Lake Superior in September when I thought it was making more noise than usual.  My first thought was that the lifters had taken a dump like so many other's on this list have experienced.  It was indeed a lifter which of course ruined the cam.  I, like any red blooded American man, used this as a excuse to up grade to the HD 117 kit.  I'm going to stick with the HD cam but I did purchase S&S lifters like most folks around here recommend.   

I would add that for the last 13yrs I have worked at two different HD Dealers so this bike has been meticulously maintained and always had Redline oil used in it.  To be transparent I did put a 30 tooth sprocket, Fullsack baffles and a Mastertune tuner on it.  No converter either.  I just think, as do many others, that there is some inherent design flaws in the twin cam motor and do not get me started on the shocks and forks.

I retired, again, in May as my dealership had a new owner who does not believe in vacations in the summer.  But the mechanic there is fixing the old girl.  Fingers crossed.

As a side bar I promised the sales staff that I was going to buy a second bike and it was not going to be a HD.  After scaring the dog chit out of myself on a Ducati XDiavel S I bought a 2016 BMW R1200RT.  It is a blast to ride.  not as comfortable as the Roadglide but it certainly out handles it.  About 200 pounds lighter to so it's like riding a scooter.  Sure is nice to have though while the Roadglide is on a lift at the shop.  Especially when Ohio had a string of 70 degree days in November.

Just my two cents worth.  Love my bike but any motorcycle should go well past 36,000 miles when maintained as well as this one has.
Flame on.

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »

Threads like this one are what prompted me to replace my 110" engine in my 2010 SESG.
What engine did you put in?

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »

What engine did you put in?

I went with a Fuel Moto 126" Outlaw, and all the necessary bits to support it.

Ended up with 147.91HP & 154.62TQ.

:bananarock:

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »

I went with a Fuel Moto 126" Outlaw, and all the necessary bits to support it.

Ended up with 147.91HP & 154.62TQ.

How's the reliability/driveability and cost on that? It's an engine option that is never mentioned when the S&S 124 and SE 120 are discussed.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 12:26:58 AM »

How's the reliability/driveability and cost on that? It's an engine option that is never mentioned when the S&S 124 and SE 120 are discussed.

Here is more info on it:
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-31168-126-fuel-moto-outlaw-engine.html

Turn key installation of the engine itself is $8745, including full dyno tuning.  With this engine though, you need to have ancillary components that are capable of supporting 150hp/150tq.  Items like full exhaust, clutch pack/clutch spring, injectors, throttle body, and tuner (Fuel Moto requires the use of a Power Vision for tuning).

Depending where you're at with those things will determine the actual price out the door.

One of the things that was appealing about this engine is the use of SE cases.  Fuel Moto upgrades to the Timken bearing and uses an S&S crank.  The SE cases maintain stock oiling passages, so no need for the external oil lines that S&S uses.  Also, the manufacturer statement of origin is nice to have too.

With the build as it is and the use of premium internal components, I am confident the engine will be reliable.  Fuel mileage is still good for touring, but takes a hit when playing around!  The engine has probably the quietest valve train for a V-twin, at least that I've been around.

And the cherry on top - the Fuel Moto crew is fantastic to work with.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 12:19:31 AM »

On my 2011 I got to about 60 000 miles before the dealer rebuilt it under warranty. Now at 87 000 miles. (140 000 KM).

LOUDHOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 04:05:20 PM »

2007..at 13,900 my cam wiped out. Stuck valve caused lifter/cam to score. Crank was out of spec so I did a rebuild. Stock bore, Fuel Moto 777 cam, portwork and Darkhorse repaired bottom end. 112HP 119TQ

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »

Well, it's my turn! :o This last MV trip I started to smell and use oil. Never had to add between oil changes. Put lifters in it at around 13K and has 23K now. Finally got around to bringing it in and after a leakage test they thought they'd replace rings, hone and valve guides. When he got jugs off to do pistons he found rods on flywheels not flopping. Not good! Waiting on how bad when he gets it out. Looks like an exchange engine might be coming. Glad I got extended warranty. Going to try and get by there today or tomorrow to see it. At least it's not sunny and warm outside! :D Merry Christmas Everyone! :2vrolijk_21:

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »

Sorry to hear this!  I hate hearing about issues with such low miles. How many miles have you put on her since the MV trip and you started noticing the oil usage?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »

Well, it's my turn! :o This last MV trip I started to smell and use oil. Never had to add between oil changes. Put lifters in it at around 13K and has 23K now. Finally got around to bringing it in and after a leakage test they thought they'd replace rings, hone and valve guides. When he got jugs off to do pistons he found rods on flywheels not flopping. Not good! Waiting on how bad when he gets it out. Looks like an exchange engine might be coming. Glad I got extended warranty. Going to try and get by there today or tomorrow to see it. At least it's not sunny and warm outside! :D Merry Christmas Everyone! :2vrolijk_21:

John, so sorry to hear about your motor troubles.  That's about the same mileage my 2012 had when it's original motor failed.  It was still under moco factory warranty and I got a brand new motor.  That motor lasted about 45k when it too failed.  I figured I'd paid quite enough '110 tax' and traded it off for the 2017 CVO Limited.  I had not intended to do so with it being the first year for the new M8 motor but I figured I made it through being a beta tester on my 2007 with the first year 110 motor and I would no doubt survive.  So far with 6k on it the M8 motor has been perfect.  Keeping fingers crossed that it remains so.  Hard to believe but the moco may just have gotten this one right.  Good luck with yours and keep us posted.  And a very Merry Christmas to you, Deb and your family.

Jerry
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:47:08 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »

FYI If you are on the ESP you will not receive a motor exchange, the Motor Company and the Warranty Company as in my case will replace everything that needs replacing and save everything that can be saved even if it isn't cost effective, they did a complete engine rebuild and replaced my engine cases that required my VIN to be stamped on it; I know it sounds insane, however now you can add free upgrades like a Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and and S & S Premium Lifters w/o limiters just make sure the dealer doesn't mark the S & S Lifters on the receipt or the ESP will be voided, thus, have them list the Harley Lifters of the day. That could be what I did, but I can't say I would do such a thing.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »

Same with me lower rod bearing . No new motor. They said they are not available anymore. So they rebuilt the motor .Runs great. We added SE oil pump and plate . I have a esp till 2021 So If I need one more They will pay again. They fixed in one week So I was happy. % K on it now and it is fine. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »

Same with me lower rod bearing . No new motor. They said they are not available anymore. So they rebuilt the motor .Runs great. We added SE oil pump and plate . I have a esp till 2021 So If I need one more They will pay again. They fixed in one week So I was happy. % K on it now and it is fine. Billy

I find that very hard to believe.  The 110 engine is still in production for several bikes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »

I do not believe anyone will receive a motor exchange unless the motorcycle is under Warranty even then it's not a guarantee; I could be wrong, however, I am a recipient of 5 crate motors under Warranty. Once you are out of Warranty and into the ESP this is when the Dealers make their money in parts and labor. My last repair complete motor rebuild including engine cases which needed my VIN stamped on it, wasn't a motor exchange, it would have been more cost effective for the Motor Company to send out a crate motor with my VIN on it and the labor would have been the motor swap. However, there are benefits of the rebuild happening in front of you, such as upgrading some parts cam plate and lifters and not voiding your ESP. My cost was $50.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 06:41:08 PM »

..... I am a recipient of 5 crate motors under Warranty......
Say what?
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »

Say what?
Oh yah, can't forget the first year production of the illustrious 110, hard to forget, 5 motors removed, 5 motors shipped directly to Harley Davidson, 5 crate motors shipped overnight with my VIN stamped on the engine, back on the road within 4 days; all this within 14 months of ownership. The motorcycle was a 2007 CVO Road King, Cobalt Blue. That is why, I am a little gun shy about diving into the Harley Davidson first year production pool again, I can state with absolute certainty my trust issues are founded and documented.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »

That is why, I am a little gun shy about diving into the Harley Davidson first year production pool again, I can state with absolute certainty my trust issues are founded and documented.

Point well taken and you have my sympathies.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »

Ride safe!

Yes, but different

Understand that the 110 is just a 103 with different heads and cams.
That said the heads carry heavy big valves and have a design that contributes along with the fast lift rate cam that pushes components such as the lifters and cam bearings to their limit and failures occur prematurely. Lean mixture and high cylinder pressures seal the deal and make things worse.

What to do:

Assumption #1 is the rings are sealing well and the cylinders are not distorted. Pull the barrels and measure! If bad go right to 113 or 117". If good clean and reinstall with new HD base oring kit.

Assumption #2 is there have neen no bearing or other failures that could have metal traveling. If that happened GMR gave a good description what needs to happen in the Nikasil thread. Full teardown

Have the heads gone through, new Bronze Manganese guides, serdi valve job, replacement conical or beehive springs with less rate and pressure, and  premium viton seals. Replace valves as needed. Chambers CCd. The head chambers can be quite different on heads from the same motor, have them measured and fixed.

Replace the lifters with US made premium Delphis, S&S, or Johnson HiLift. Replace the inner cam bearings with HD torringtons or other premium full compliment needle bearings such as INA. Use HD adjustable pushrods 18404-08 or Smith Bros. Purchase "rocker lockers". Check the rocker bushings and shafts, replace with OEM as needed. Check oil pump, cam plate, and tensioners, replace with OEM parts as needed.

Check crank run out. My rule of thumb with a chain drive cam motor is <.006. Over that and we talk. New S&S crank is easy and works. A timken conversion is not needed unless this is going to a motor that gets pounded.
Bearings replaced with OEM if the bottom end is disassembled.

Finishing touches, cam choice. To go 100K miles I would go with a grind that is known to have conservative ramps such as Andrews and S&S cams. Assuming this is a nearly stock motor with no head porting no need to look at the cam as any more than a factory replacement. A little more duration is desirable. My needs are similar and as an example I chose an Andrews 54, pretty plain vanilla. Understand that all that said a cam chest inspection at ~every 30K is wise, better yet is preemptive maintenance, replace the lifters while there. Change the oil and filter every 5k. Use synthetic after a break-in on mineral based oil, 15-40

Get the bike professionally tuned with a flash tuner. It does not need to be rich and overly rich is as bad as overly lean. A good professional knows all this.

Covered some basics, there are some other minor details but this is a start.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:41:23 PM by HD Street Performance »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.