Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?  (Read 6663 times)

J.D.

Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?
« on: June 17, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »

This is one of the few jobs I don't do myself but am considering buying the tools to start doing my own tire changes.  Typically I remove the wheels and drop them off at the shop with the new tires but they're up to around $80 labor to mount and balance a set of tires.  Anyone doing their own?  Any advice on tools and techniques?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »

I used to, but then I got old. Now I do like you, remove them from bike and drop off at shop. I do use a shop with electronic balancer, I refuse to pay for bubble balance. I still can do that as well as anyone. Shop I use also is very diligent in cleaning wheel surface prior to appling new wheel weights, otherwise as we all know they fly off.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »

I do.  Bought a manual tire machine that HD-Dude got too smart to keep using a few years ago. 

It is really handy and leaves almost nothing can't do at home now.  On my older bikes with a more normal profile 16 to 18 inch tires its a snap.  On some of the newer bikes with the wider and lower profile tires it's a freaking chore though.  Becomes a two person job (at least) to get the tires on or off the wheels.  Causes the saying of many bad words. 

It gets done though.

JerseyT

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »

Here's what I use ... No-Mar model CH200.  Works great.  Also have a balancer.  Check out the videos on the No-Mar website and on YouTube for how-to tips.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »

I really don't have the room or budget for a proper tire changer and balancer.  I'm looking at some good irons and one of those simple axle-style gravity driven balancers.  I want to be all-in for about $100.  I don't mind struggling through the labor as I don't change tires all that often, but with that said, I have no desire to ruin my wheels or ride on grossly unbalanced tires to save a few bucks.  Will/can this approach get the job done or is this a bad idea?

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:07:45 PM »

I really don't have the room or budget for a proper tire changer and balancer.  I'm looking at some good irons and one of those simple axle-style gravity driven balancers.  I want to be all-in for about $100.  I don't mind struggling through the labor as I don't change tires all that often, but with that said, I have no desire to ruin my wheels or ride on grossly unbalanced tires to save a few bucks.  Will/can this approach get the job done or is this a bad idea?

I change my own tires by hand with iron/spoons
I got a bead breaker from harbor freight
The Yellowthing bead keeper tool
Use balancing beads to balance the tire and they work great.
Get some of that tire lube/paste from no-mar

Now I can change a tire in about 30 min but the first time it took me a couple hours. Once you learn the art of the drop center it's not that mean of a beast.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »

Used to mount my own tires.  Newer touring bike tires have stiffer sidewalls, a pain in the butt to mount.  Mostly have a shop mount/spin balance them now.  If I had access to a better machine, would change my mind.  Used NoMar tools.  Used a modified Harbor Freight tire changer, had to be welded/shored up and would not waste my money on one of those.  Harbor Freight bead breaker works ok.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:52:11 PM »

All good suggestions.  Like that yellow claw doodad.  Was looking at a Motion Pro tool that is a combo spoons/levers and bead breaker.  Looks like it works well, on YouTube anyway.  Can you break a bead with a couple of big C-clamps in a pinch?  Never seen those beads before.  Does this work better than balancing with weights?  What's "the art of the drop center"?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:21:46 AM »

I'm happy  to have and pay someone else to do it.  Why would I want to change and balance tires? Let the guys with the tire machine have all the fun.  Call me when it's done. Stuart.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:23:23 AM by cvostu »

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »

All good suggestions.  Like that yellow claw doodad.  Was looking at a Motion Pro tool that is a combo spoons/levers and bead breaker.  Looks like it works well, on YouTube anyway.  Can you break a bead with a couple of big C-clamps in a pinch?  Never seen those beads before.  Does this work better than balancing with weights?  What's "the art of the drop center"?

they are called Dyna Beads and work very well. C-clamps could work but they will have to be big. Breaking the bead without the proper tool is a difficult task.

"Drop Center" is referred to as the center part of the wheel which has a smaller circumference than the outter ridge where the bead seals. While spooning over the final segment of the tire, positioning the opposite end the tire as close to the drop center of the wheel will allow tire to slip over the wheel with the minimal amount of stress. Also, at this point is where the lube paste does it magic.

I also use the lube paste on the wheel during the final slide of removing the tire.

FYI....take the brake rotor off the wheel, it can be done with them on, but just one mishap and you will be buying new ones.

also if possible, i will lay the new tire in the sun to warm up the tire to make it alittle more pliable.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:33:47 AM by Cat Eye »

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »

This is one of the few jobs I don't do myself but am considering buying the tools to start doing my own tire changes.  Typically I remove the wheels and drop them off at the shop with the new tires but they're up to around $80 labor to mount and balance a set of tires.  Anyone doing their own?  Any advice on tools and techniques?

I'm a bit out of the norm on this one, I have the coats tire machine and Snap-On spin balancer in the garage available 24/7.  Guess I'm spoiled.  I help out a few folks on and off as needed.  Gives me a hobby for a few months, usually between April and July. That $80 for two wheels really gets my attention! 

I've worked on wheels that people have changed the tires themselves, need to be careful, those things are expensive and easily damaged.  As stated, the thicker sidewalls and lower the profile the harder to change no matter what the equipment. 

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Brad

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »

I'm a bit out of the norm on this one, I have the coats tire machine and Snap-On spin balancer in the garage available 24/7.  Guess I'm spoiled.  I help out a few folks on and off as needed.  Gives me a hobby for a few months, usually between April and July. That $80 for two wheels really gets my attention! 

I've worked on wheels that people have changed the tires themselves, need to be careful, those things are expensive and easily damaged.  As stated, the thicker sidewalls and lower the profile the harder to change no matter what the equipment. 

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Brad

:znotworthy:

HoustonAgingDad

• I ride a '10 FLHTCUI
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »

some (now defunct) forums I've seen have had threads like this where guys would post up where they are and offer to either change people's tires or if nothing else, allow someone else to come over and use the changer they have.

I've considered getting one. Around Houston anyways, shops REALLY frown (to the point of being a jerk about it) if you even mention bringing in your own tire. I can see their side though. It's tough when you can get a tire online for 1/2 the shop price. And a lot of shops charge a mount fee of $80 in addition to that double price.

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

Yep the dealer will reluctantly do the job bringing in my own wheels and 3rd party tires.  I'm super meticulous about removing and installing the wheels, but if I were to have any sort of issue with the tire after I leave I'm sure I'd be SOL.  Last install was the one that sent me over the edge.  I brought in Commander IIs as the dealer doesn't carry anything besides Dunlops and the told me that the tires are too stiff for a Harley wheel and they needed to install a tube in order to seat the bead on the rear wheel.  Rotor and pulley were all scraped up from their monkeys beating on it.  Honestly I can't imagine the results of DIY to possibly be worse.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »

I purchased a NO-Mar a few years ago and have changed a bunch of tires.  I haven't had any trouble removing any kind of tire but installing a new Dunlop for the rear can be a real ball buster at times.  I end up spooning it on by hand.  Metzlers are a snap, I haven't changed any tires to my new/used 2001 Valkyrie but heard they can be real tough.  If I had to do it again I would just get the good hand tools that were recommended.  I had 2 rims damaged by dealers, not fun. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.