Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 110 Whiney  (Read 3678 times)

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

110 Whiney
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »

Just after some advice.
 I purchased a 2011 CVO Street Glide with 16000KM. It has Andrews 254 cams, HighComp pistons and 58mm throttle bodies. It has a whiney noise coming from the cam area. I had noticed it when I got it home but thought it was just cam noise. I had to take it to the dealer to have the alarm reactivated and they mentioned the noise was unusual and they weren't sure what it was . They suggested I drain all the oils and check for any metal and to contact the previous owner and find out whether the lifters were replaced when the engine work was done. ( Sorry this is a bit long winded).
 So I have changed the oils with NO visable metal in any of the oils and no deposits on the drain plug magnets. I also cut open the oil filter and there was nothing in there either. I contacted the previous owner who said he had the lifters and cam bearings replaced and adjustable push rods fitted when the engine work was done. He also said the engine sounded distinctly different after the engine work. Does anyone else with similar work done notice a whistley whiney noise in the cam area.
 Any thoughts advice would be appreciated.

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Re: 110 Whiney
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:51:11 AM »

Gear drive cams?

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »

Can you ask the PO for a copy of the invoice of parts installed, and post it? AFAIK, Andrews doesn't make a 254 cam- HD does, so a list of what's actually installed would be helpful in figuring this out.

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »

Gear drive cams?

Thats what I thought but all the reading I have done reckons they are not noisy.

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »

I questioned the PO when I bought the bike about receipts and he never kept them as it was 13 years ago. When I picked it up he had all the old parts ( Pistons, Cams and Throttle Body ) for me to bring home but as I had a 1000km ride home I didn't wan't them. I rang his dealer to try and get the information but they replaced there computer system a few years back and said they have no records available from 2014 when the work was done. I do have the Dyno sheets which list compression lifted to 10.1, Andrews 54 cams, 58mm throttle body and Fulsac exhaust. I rang the PO again the other day and he said he had the lifters and cam bearings replaced when the work was done because of the known problems with the engine. The bike also has the Baker 1.5L bigger sump. 

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »

I have also found out the lifters were Screaming Eagle Version 2 and the heads were fitted with Roller Rockers.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:28:02 AM »

Just after some advice.
I purchased a 2011 CVO Street Glide with 16000KM. It has Andrews 254 cams, HighComp pistons and 58mm throttle bodies. It has a whiney noise coming from the cam area. I had noticed it when I got it home but thought it was just cam noise. I had to take it to the dealer to have the alarm reactivated and they mentioned the noise was unusual and they weren't sure what it was . They suggested I drain all the oils and check for any metal and to contact the previous owner and find out whether the lifters were replaced when the engine work was done. ( Sorry this is a bit long winded).
 So I have changed the oils with NO visable metal in any of the oils and no deposits on the drain plug magnets. I also cut open the oil filter and there was nothing in there either. I contacted the previous owner who said he had the lifters and cam bearings replaced and adjustable push rods fitted when the engine work was done. He also said the engine sounded distinctly different after the engine work. Does anyone else with similar work done notice a whistley whiney noise in the cam area.
 Any thoughts advice would be appreciated.

I questioned the PO when I bought the bike about receipts and he never kept them as it was 13 years ago. When I picked it up he had all the old parts ( Pistons, Cams and Throttle Body ) for me to bring home but as I had a 1000km ride home I didn't wan't them. I rang his dealer to try and get the information but they replaced there computer system a few years back and said they have no records available from 2014 when the work was done. I do have the Dyno sheets which list compression lifted to 10.1, Andrews 54 cams, 58mm throttle body and Fulsac exhaust. I rang the PO again the other day and he said he had the lifters and cam bearings replaced when the work was done because of the known problems with the engine. The bike also has the Baker 1.5L bigger sump. 

A little discrepancy in the numbers. You got the bike in 2011? Or it is a 2011 The owner put the parts in the bike 13yr ago  that knocks it back to 2004.  Which ones the type o ?
Regardless  your hearing whining I would go for bearings a pull down would be required to know for sure.

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 05:30:03 AM »

Oh chit see what you mean. The bike is 2011 model it has 17000km on clock and the engine work was done at 4000km. The previous owner said the whinney noise has been there since the engine work was done his dealer thought it was normal. I think you are right pull the cam plate and inspect is the only way to check properly although I do think if it was serious there would have been some sort of visable metal substance in oil or filter.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »

Oh chit see what you mean. The bike is 2011 model it has 17000km on clock and the engine work was done at 4000km. The previous owner said the whinney noise has been there since the engine work was done his dealer thought it was normal. I think you are right pull the cam plate and inspect is the only way to check properly although I do think if it was serious there would have been some sort of visable metal substance in oil or filter.

None of the parts that were replaced in the cam chest should produce a whine that wasn't there previously.  The previous owner should have insisted the dealership find it and fix it before paying the bill.  Since he didn't, you get stuck either having it checked out by a more competent shop, or just living with it but having it in the back of your mind that something isn't right.  Inner cam bearings, improperly installed cams (alignment), cam chain tensioners, oil pump alignment, etc. are all possible sources of noise.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »

Yeah mate I am going to pull it down and inspect myself. Will replace lifters why I am there. Just thought someone else ma have encountered  the same noise. I saw on the Aussie Harley forum that apparently the adjustable pushrods can sometimes  rub in there outers will check that as well.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

Wick,

Just a thought,...but you may want to ( if you haven't already) do a check with a probe stethoscope to try and pin point the loudest point of the whining. There's always the possibility of the cause being amplified  to the cavity area that the cams sit in and the cam body cover.
I had a noise that I thought was coming from the front of the motor, I even had a bike mechanic listen to it and he also said it was from the front. It turned out to be at the rear ( noise being amplified to the front) by the cavity area of the tank. If I had used a probe stethoscope I would have known the noise was from the rear.
For the sake of a few $$ it's a good tool to have to listen to the inner workings of the motor for abnormal sounds and pin point them at the loudest point. It's also good for checking the wheel bearings by putting the end of the probe on the shaft then you can hear if a bearing is on the way out.
If you used it once a month you would know the moment there's a change in sound at any given point.

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »

Yeah mate had that done today by a local Harley guru, he said the cam chest and lifters all sounded perfectly normal he thinks the roller rockers are causing the noise and is normal. He doesn't think I need to do anything until at least 30,0000km. I will keep an ear out for any noise changes and see what happens. Thanks for the advice all that replied.

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »

Just an update. Pulled apart found nothing wrong but since I put back together I keep thinking its getting worse. Have a set of S&S Premium lifters and S&S cam chain tensioners on there way replacing them for my own sanity.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 01:50:59 AM »

Getting rid of the SE Lifters cant hurt :).    Are you certain its not the throttlebody you are hearing ?   Have you done a leak down test on the motor?   Could the noise be piston slap?   Have you checked every heat shield to be sure they are tight as well as the bolt on the transmission for the exhaust?   Have you checked motor mounts etc?   sometimes its the simple stuff that will drive ya nutz.

Where in Oz are ya?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Wick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:17 AM »

Yeah mate checked and doible checked everything.  Think it is the "Sewing Machine" noise people talk off. Figure if I do the Lifters and Chain tensioners I will rest easy and just ride. I am in Tasmania.

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:07 AM »

I heard a whine on my 2012 RGU and it ended  up being a rear head gasket leak...Rear cylinder had heated up..
Long story short Harley replaced my entire motor under ESP.....No loss of power was noted, however,  my mechanic stated that if I would ha e waited it was on the verge of starting to lose power and compression at any moment...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

I heard a whine on my 2012 RGU and it ended  up being a rear head gasket leak...Rear cylinder had heated up..
Long story short Harley replaced my entire motor under ESP.....No loss of power was noted, however,  my mechanic stated that if I would ha e waited it was on the verge of starting to lose power and compression at any moment...

Maybe there is more to this than you’re sharing.  From what you shared the story is lacking in justification for a new motor and doesn’t pass the sniff test.   No way Harley gives you a new motor for a leaky head gasket.   They pull the head and put in a new gasket and if your lucky check the head for warping or pull the head and find other concerns and tear down the cylinder(s) to inspect further.

Are you absolutely sure they replaced the motor?   If so, then you want to know the reason they replaced the motor.    Head gasket by itself isn’t it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »

Head gasket was the start of the problem...Top of the barrels had a lip on it...push rods were bent after 24d cams installed at 60 k....77k miles on the odometer....I already had a GMR lifters and SE Cam plate (on hand) and bought some SE 585 cams, which were recommended by Don at HDSP...Sent out the heads...replaced the clutch, compensator...

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

110 Whiney
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 07:08:10 PM »

Head gasket was the start of the problem...Top of the barrels had a lip on it...push rods were bent after 24d cams installed at 60 k....77k miles on the odometer....I already had a GMR lifters and SE Cam plate (on hand) and bought some SE 585 cams, which were recommended by Don at HDSP...Sent out the heads...replaced the clutch, compensator...

When you say they replaced the motor, what exactly did they replace as your supplying cams, lifters and camplate?    Thus far i can understand pushrods, cylinders, pistons gaskets?   what are they saying is the reason the pushrods are bent?  all bent or just 1?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:43:54 PM by Unbalanced »

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »

2 push rods were bent.....Mechanic rolled them and 2 rolled uneven...cylinders, pistons, Head gasket (although) I switched to MLS were all covered...It all started after the sales manager accidentally started my bike and saw a puff come out the rear cylinder...Compress ion checked...Mechanic couldn't get the bike to duplicate it...Then they took out the plugs, sprayed some type of fluid in the motor, and started the bike...the fluid shot another mechanic in the face...Due to my relationship with my mechanic and the same mechanic working on all 3 of our hawgs...He went deeper...He asked if I felt a loss in power..No..He said that I would have if I would ha e kept riding it...

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.