Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Battery tender lead routing  (Read 5732 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Battery tender lead routing
« on: October 02, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »

Hello All,

My battery tender lead ends out the left side cover and has about 6" of cable and keeps getting the end chewed up.

How is everyone securing the lead so I doesn't get chewed up?

Thanks!

Update;
Funny instructions for Tender Harness states the following;
See Figure 8. Route the harness connector (6) down along the front of the battery, then to the right toward the space between the right frame tube and battery box (5).
Cleanly tuck the in-line fuse (2) into the nest directly in front of the battery. Bring the harness connector out under the right side of the battery box and continue to route through the hole or slot in the frame sheet metal (4) down to just above the oil fill (7) dipstick. Use a cable strap and secure the connector to the conduit on the existing harness running vertically near the frame tube. Trim any excess from the cable strap.
Proceed to ALL Models, Step 4. (install seat)

Not sure why my tender harness is on the left side.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:29:42 AM by roadrunner »
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: Battery tender lead routing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »

I use the tethered cap and loop it around the left saddle bag support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »

You can run the lead out whichever side you want (there should be a lot more than six inches of wire).  When you connect the battery tender, which side is the tender located on?  That would be the obvious side to locate the bike harness connector.

Everyone has their own circumstances and preferences, so there is no single answer.  Personally, I prefer to have my bikes connector secured to the bike in a location where I can just pop off the weather cap and connect the tender wire without having to move the bike harness at all.  Mine is secured to the metal panel between the rear of the engine and the battery compartment with heavy duty 3M exterior grade mounting tape, and it's been there for over ten years without a problem.  My charger is on the wall next to where I park the bike, located where the charger harness easily reaches the bike connector.  You can also use plastic tie straps to attach your bike connector to frame tubes or anywhere you desire, just make sure you locate it where it won't be damaged by heat or get pinched/crushed during operation of the bike and suspension.  Once you have the connector located and secured, use ties to secure the rest of the wire harness.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »

Hello All,

My battery tender lead ends out the left side cover and has about 6" of cable and keeps getting the end chewed up.

Thanks!

Update;
Funny instructions for Tender Harness states the following;
See Figure 8. Route the harness connector (6) down along the front of the battery, then to the right toward the space between the right frame tube and battery box (5).
Cleanly tuck the in-line fuse (2) into the nest directly in front of the battery. Bring the harness connector out under the right side of the battery box and continue to route through the hole or slot in the frame sheet metal (4) down to just above the oil fill (7) dipstick. Use a cable strap and secure the connector to the conduit on the existing harness running vertically near the frame tube. Trim any excess from the cable strap.
Proceed to ALL Models, Step 4. (install seat)

Having it on the left side makes it less likely to be noticed when the bike is parked on its' side stand.

Don't know if you use heated gear, but I use the same lead for my charger and my heated gear, so my lead comes out on the left side just under the front of the seat near the back left corner of the tank.  When the bike is on the side stand you can hardly notice it, and it is the best place for use with my heated gear.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »

Having it on the left side makes it less likely to be noticed when the bike is parked on the side stand.

Exactamundo!  The '15 was routed to hang on the money side but it's one of the things I changed right off the bat to the primary side.  It's routed so I have just enough slack to keep it tucked under the primary side cover lip.  When I know it's going to be parked for a few days or longer, I can pop the bottom of the cover, pull the lead out and waller, easy charge.  Just as easy to unplug and re-tuck the lead.

I don't have any heated gear but my way would make it hard to use the lead if you did.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:44:59 PM by Haird »

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

Mine is on the left side, under the side panel cover.  It is also very short, just enough to stick out from under the cover.  I have not used it yet because I just got the bike in June and it is ridden regularly.  As fall settles in, I intend to take a look and re-route so it is more readily accessible for quick connect/disconnect as it sits longer and longer.   My 2012 was on the right side, not hidden and was easy to access (although it did fall onto the exhaust a few times and melt the end off). 
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

X2 on what Haird said.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »

I use the tethered cap and loop it around the left saddle bag support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:2vrolijk_21:   Like this idea, tried it, so far so good.  Thanks for posting a pic.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:   Like this idea, tried it, so far so good.  Thanks for posting a pic.

No problem, Damn my bike is dirty  :D
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »

Mine is routed up through the center console on the tank, where it is mounted with a capped female plug. There I can plug in either my charger, or my heated gear. My passengers plug passes through the leather grab handle over the back seat where she can plug in there.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »

I tuck mine behind the passenger grab strap bracket. It's handy and secure there :2vrolijk_21:
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

I tuck mine behind the passenger grab strap bracket. It's handy and secure there :2vrolijk_21:

X2.   Have already gone back to this method, easier to use, like it better.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:46 PM »

Great idea and would be an excellent spot...if I ever kept the passenger strap and bracket on my bike.  That's one of those things that gets removed when it comes home for the first time

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »

:confused5:
I'm not understanding anyone on the plus side of 50-60 wanting to deal with that damn tender connector routing down the left side and exiting at the bottom of the left side cover.  My '14 SG Special came that way from the dealer along with another new tender.  To keep it from dangling out the bottom of that side cover,  I put a small piece of velcro on the back of the bottom edge of the cover and the other velcro piece on the dust cover deal for the tender.

This way,  I can just pull loose the bottom edge of the cover and fish out the tender cord and connect up.  However,  on the side stand.......this is too low to suit me.

My '09 Ultra came with a tender setup too,  but the cord routed out thru a hole in the frame under the seat and zipped tied down the right side.  Very convenient and obviously easier as it's higher up when bike on side stand.

When my current battery needs replacement,  to be sure I will be re-routing my tender to the right side. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.