Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Battery tender lead routing  (Read 5759 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Battery tender lead routing
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »

Mine is on the left side, under the side panel cover.  It is also very short, just enough to stick out from under the cover.  I have not used it yet because I just got the bike in June and it is ridden regularly.  As fall settles in, I intend to take a look and re-route so it is more readily accessible for quick connect/disconnect as it sits longer and longer.   My 2012 was on the right side, not hidden and was easy to access (although it did fall onto the exhaust a few times and melt the end off). 
I noticed on the '18s the tender cord is where NHB said above, but there's another wrinkle:  Where the cord goes into the inside of the frame, it enters a wiring harness--and then it's invisible.  Didn't spend a lot of time on it, but couldn't find where it went; didn't go to the battery + terminal like the "add-on" harnesses do.  I did see where the '18s owner's manual says both the Main fuse and the P & A fuse must be inserted to use the battery tender cable.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »

I noticed on the '18s the tender cord is where NHB said above, but there's another wrinkle:  Where the cord goes into the inside of the frame, it enters a wiring harness--and then it's invisible.  Didn't spend a lot of time on it, but couldn't find where it went; didn't go to the battery + terminal like the "add-on" harnesses do.  I did see where the '18s owner's manual says both the Main fuse and the P & A fuse must be inserted to use the battery tender cable.

The battery tender lead is part of the wiring harness now, and it is connected to the P&A fuse.  So you won't find leads going to the battery, which is a good thing.  Another good thing is the fuse is twice the amp rating of the old add-on style tender harnesses.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »

The battery tender lead is part of the wiring harness now, and it is connected to the P&A fuse.  So you won't find leads going to the battery, which is a good thing.  Another good thing is the fuse is twice the amp rating of the old add-on style tender harnesses.

Jerry

So THAT'S why the MSRP is up another couple thousand for the '18's..... ;D :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21:

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

So THAT'S why the MSRP is up another couple thousand for the '18's..... ;D :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21:
(head palm)  Of course!   :'(
If you want peace, prepare for war.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »

Does this mean in 2019 the little cap on end of the wiring harness won't be included and will be a $50 option.   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »

Does this mean in 2019 the little cap on end of the wiring harness won't be included and will be a $50 option.   :nixweiss:

$50?  Really?  Don't you know HD stands for "Hunerd-doller".... :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »

Here's the one on my tank console. I planned on using it for my heated gear, but it's used mostly for the Battery Tender.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:55:13 PM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »

The one we use the most is here, run up through the grab strap. When my wife rides along I use a "Y" splitter
for both of us.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

$50?  Really?  Don't you know HD stands for "Hunerd-doller".... :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

In 2020 it will cost $100.  Will be the 3rd "new improved version" of the 2019 model cap that fell off when the bike was going faster than 45 mph.  :huepfenjump3:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »

Here's the one on my tank console. I planned on using it for my heated gear, but it's used mostly for the Battery Tender.

Now that's the neatest job I've seen thus far... Where did you get the parts to complete it?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »

Now that's the neatest job I've seen thus far... Where did you get the parts to complete it?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Mike,

I got it from Gerbing: https://www.gerbing.com/panel-mount
Another good source for hook ups and connectors is http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/power-cables/PWRCBL
This is what I use to control the heat. http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote-control-heat-troller/

Hope this helps.

Mark

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »

Thanks Mark.  :2vrolijk_21:
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »

Great idea and would be an excellent spot...if I ever kept the passenger strap and bracket on my bike.  That's one of those things that gets removed when it comes home for the first time

Passenger grab handle is required by Texas law even with backrest.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

ultrarider123

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »

Passenger grab handle is required by Texas law even with backrest.

No kidding?  Lawmakers are so funny.  Probably lots of money from the grab handle lobby.... ::)

Have they ever actually looked at the "safety straps" and how useless they really are?  And also still required if there is a backrest/tourpac? 

Oh well, I guess that puts me out of moving to Texas.... ;D :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 05:10:56 PM »

Follow up, replacing the stock harness, expecting to find harness connected to the battery .

Found out Rushmore models have the harness preinstalled and not connected to the battery.

Going to check the manual, any one replace your preinstalled battery tender harness?

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:47:30 PM by roadrunner »
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.