Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+  (Read 9147 times)

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
Re: True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »

Hi all,

My bike has been serviced for the 15K miles. Everything checked, new tires well balanced, motor mount checks etc...

I've talk with the mechanic in chief who said it is really not a good idea to over tight the neck bearing which would cause rapid worn. So I did not ask to do it.

Guess what, wobbles still there.

But I've also talk with the guy and they admit that I am definitely not the only one who is experiencing wobbles at speed from 75 and above. They have no miracle solution for that as it is almost by design. These bikes have not been design for that kind of speed. End of the story.

I have mounted the bike in full Öhlins front and rear, of course it handles a lot better, but it absolutely does not help in eliminating the wobbles.

So now I am going to mount the True-Track and let you know.

Greetings   Lolo
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:39:36 PM by Lolo »

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

Hi all,

I have mounted both the front and rear True-Track stabilizers. Now after around 3K miles of trips on highways and mountain roads I can say that is helps, but...

While the wobbles are still present at "high" speeds the phenomenon now occurs from 85 mph in curves, so I gained 10mph, and wobbles are more low frequency, it still wobbles but much more slowly. On straight line when releasing the throttle over 100 mph I still experience some wobbles but again much less than before.

The bike feels more homogeneous and direct when initiating a curve, at any speed over 40 mph I feel that the frame and the engine turn together with no impression that there is a "lag", frame first than engine. Difficult to really explain, just a sensation. The bike also vibrate more at idle.

As the bike is fully mounted with Öhlins shocks, front and rear, I have also hardened the rear shocks by 2 clicks, going from 9 to 11 clicks (I weight 165lbs). I seems also to minimize the wobbles. I've done that later, thus this do not alter the feedback above.

Well, True-Track is not the silver bullet, it helps to reduce high speed wobbles, increase speed at which it occurs, but do not fully eliminate the problem which I guess is inherent to the design of the bike.

Now there nothing much I can change/add to eliminate the issue. So I will live with, but heck this sucks.

Hope this helps.

Greetings   Lolo

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »

Have you considered a steering stabilizer in the event it’s the front causing the tail to wiggle?

Have you tried loading down the passenger seat and seen any change in handling?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:40 AM »

Have you considered a steering stabilizer in the event it’s the front causing the tail to wiggle?

Have you tried loading down the passenger seat and seen any change in handling?

No rear wobbles, only front wobbles

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »

Have you road forced balanced your rims and tires vs just a standard balance to check them specifically or changed out the bearings as a precaution?

Our 04 pumpkin had a bad rim in the front

Have you ridden with a 2nd person at those speeds and seen the same problem.   I’ve noted with a BSR that with more weight on the bike that I didn’t see the same characteristic wobble / shake

Also have you taken a look at your swing arm bushings?

Good luck chasing it

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »

Have you road forced balanced your rims and tires    SAME EQUIPMENT YOU"D USE FOR YOUR AUTO OR TRUCK????

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »

Dave after replacing every bushing, heimjoint, neck bearing and the tires, along with laser alignment, manual ailment, we put the 04 rim on the machine and found a bad rim.   Replaced the rim and all good now.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »

Wow!  I didn't know the Road Force balance & alignment computer could be adapted for MC wheels & tires. I will only go to a tire dealer that has that equipment for my autos specifically.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »

Dave sorry no car alignment but a great wishlist item.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »

:D

Dave sorry no car alignment but a great wishlist item.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »

I would go back at the steering head bearings. Mine was wobbling really bad when I let of the throttle at over 50 mph and it was loose head bearings. Then I changed my suspension front and rear and had a horrible woble on high speed turns! I adjusted my rear suspension to the proper sag, changed both front and rear tires and put on a klock Works windshield shield and that cleared it up. The Klock Works shield seems to help at the higher speeds.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »

I never had a wobble on my FXR4 CVO but I had one yesterday on my 98 Road King at 100. It was scary it lasted a few seconds too long. I ordered a True Track today to bolt up to my Baker Oil Pan.
It was very frightening. It made me wonder is this it? My last ride?
Bike was completely gone through 12k miles ago.  The 124" motor and Baker 6 speed Over Drive really likes to go fast with no effort at all.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »

Lolo,
Change your fork oil ,it worked for me. I went to15w medium heavy, I would get that wobble at a higher speed in a bend or when leaning to lane change at a higher speed , same as you in the 70 to 80 mph range.
Since I put the heavier oil in I can be in the 70 to 90 range with no issues. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:30:23 AM by longlast »

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »

I have an öhlins fork kit FKC102 with the appropriate öhlins oil 1309.01 which viscosity is 19CST - 5W.

I will ask the öhlins guy if I can put a different oil. But not sure about that.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 03:59:40 PM »

I have an öhlins fork kit FKC102 with the appropriate öhlins oil 1309.01 which viscosity is 19CST - 5W.

I will ask the öhlins guy if I can put a different oil. But not sure about that.

All the 15w will stiffen the forks up a little,  it wouldn't hurt  anything.

For me anyway it stopped my wobbling  the front end felt like a hole new overhauled front end and I just went from 5w to 15w.

It's not hard to do if you do it your self , just need a vacuum brake bleeding  kit to pull the oil out and put the new in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:45:33 PM by longlast »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.