Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil temp sensor/switch  (Read 1302 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Oil temp sensor/switch
« on: January 21, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »

Where can a oil temperature sensor be installed?
Would it be in one of the two allen plugs in the forward front of the body of the oil filter?  Top or bottom?
Also is 230/250f a good operating oil temp for the 110s and what's considered to hot?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil temp sensor/switch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »

Where can a oil temperature sensor be installed?
Would it be in one of the two allen plugs in the forward front of the body of the oil filter?  Top or bottom?
Also is 230/250f a good operating oil temp for the 110s and what's considered to hot?

For me the "other" hole in the front of the oil pan was always the easiest place for a temp sending unit.  As to operating temp it's an air cooled motor so ambient temp will obviously make a difference.  Harley says (or at least used to spec) that "normal" operating temp is approximately 230 (about 110c for those with the temp on the other side of the road [and all the rest of the world too]).  A lot of reports of bikes seeing uncomfortably high temps on hot days though.  I'd shoot for a comfortable reporting range.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »

Cheers Don, I didn't think of that plug hole in the pan, I'll go for that  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:13:27 PM »

You will get different readings depending upon where you install the sensor.  The machining plug in the front of the oil pan is where the oil leaves the pan and goes to the oil pump.  The temperature at that point is lower than it would be if you measured the temp where it enters the pan as it returns from the engine.  My point is, don't fixate too much on an absolute number.  It's more important to determine while riding what the usual temp range is for your bike under your riding conditions at your chosen point in the system.  Once you know the "normal" range, you would only react to the gauge readings if they exceed what you normally expect to see.  The "normal" range on a Harley is pretty wide compared to a modern car or truck that has a more sophisticated and controlled engine cooling system.  You will have to compensate for ambient temperature as Don noted.  Harley's "spec" is 230° F in standard ambient conditions, which is roughly 70° F.  As the ambient temperature increases you would expect that 230° to also rise.

A long winded post to basically say, your results will vary.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »

Cheers Don, I didn't think of that plug hole in the pan, I'll go for that  :2vrolijk_21:

It's an easy place to work from.  Temps will be lower there than in the engine but that's nothing to worry about.  You're always using the gauge to compare what is normal for your bike rather than some absolute standard anyway.  Good luck!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »

You will get different readings depending upon where you install the sensor.  The machining plug in the front of the oil pan is where the oil leaves the pan and goes to the oil pump.  The temperature at that point is lower than it would be if you measured the temp where it enters the pan as it returns from the engine.  My point is, don't fixate too much on an absolute number.  It's more important to determine while riding what the usual temp range is for your bike under your riding conditions at your chosen point in the system.  Once you know the "normal" range, you would only react to the gauge readings if they exceed what you normally expect to see.  The "normal" range on a Harley is pretty wide compared to a modern car or truck that has a more sophisticated and controlled engine cooling system.  You will have to compensate for ambient temperature as Don noted.  Harley's "spec" is 230° F in standard ambient conditions, which is roughly 70° F.  As the ambient temperature increases you would expect that 230° to also rise.

A long winded post to basically say, your results will vary.

Jerry

Yeap, what Jerry said!

Someday I gotta learn to read ahead a few posts before answering.....  :huepfenlol2:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 11:40:12 PM »

Notes taken   :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21: guys

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
  • Live like today is your last day
    • MT

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide CVO Skunk
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »

I have my oil temp sensor in the oil line coming out of the filter and going to the oil cooler.

I use a Harley tee that allows for the  temp sensor to be mounted out of the pan.

My oil temp is about as pure as I can make it without having it in the pan.  I have no mounting location in the pan as I have the SE pan.

Both of these adaptations are on a 120R.

My oil temp going to the oil cooler is approx 225 degrees and 170 coming out of the cooler.

My head temp, as measured by the Harley internal temp sender is approx 255 at speed.  I have never seen a head temp over 300 in the entire 10K of miles.on my 120R.

As previously stated, establishing a range is more important than an absolute number.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 23 queries.