Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD Battery or Not  (Read 3400 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
HD Battery or Not
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »

The original stock battery in 2016 was recently checked at the dealership and is at about 250 cold cranking amps (CCA) from starting point of 400.  Purchased bike new and has always been on a tender while parked in the garage.  Was thinking of getting a replacement from Yuasa to see if would get a bit more than 2 years.  Has anyone had any experience with this brand of battery or others?  Can always get another HD but have read of these having to be replaced shortly after the 1 year warranty expires.  Dropping $200 every year does not appeal to the wallet! :nixweiss:

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: HD Battery or Not
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »

Aren't you still under warranty?
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:54 PM »

Deka,  rumored to be made by East Penn, same maker as the HD battery but with less cost.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:05:56 AM »

Last 3-4 Batteries have been Deka / East Penn, from Batterymart.com,,, been getting a good 3 years out of them so far...

https://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX30L-Battery.html

Guess I've been catching them on sale,,, right at $100. shipped...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:10:32 AM »

Same here, usually get 3-4 years.  This is equivalent to OEM, $103. http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/Deka-ETX30L-Battery-p/etx30l.htm

Some are using lithium batteries instead, $200 or so.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »

Wouldn't purchase another MoCo branded battery (as you mentioned they don't last/aren't as good as they used to be :()... last time I needed one I got a Deka... purchased here - Deka ETX30L Battery.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »

Look at Duracell has your size. 2 year full replacement warranty.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:33:46 PM »

i just replaced the original H-D batt on 2012 about 3 mos ago with a Yuasa. I'm also running Yuasa in the 08 sg. just replaced it in 2017. the old Yuasa was installed in 2012. so, I got 5 yrs out of it. I'm happy. jmho
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:49:08 PM by 08glide »
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »

There are some other fairly recent threads on this subject btw.

Vehicle starting batteries have become a bit of a crap shoot in recent years, with some lasting barely one year and others lasting five or more, all within the same brand and manufacturer.  Cost cutting in manufacturing tends to be a main culprit, but you also have to look at the big increase in electrical demand from modern vehicles.

If you're looking for higher CCA in an AGM battery, Yuasa has a 500 CCA battery that fits your bike and you can find it on Amazon for about $30 - $40 less than the H-D battery.  If you're just looking for the standard specs but longer useful life, I don't know of any way to determine that ahead of time.  As I said, results vary all over the map for pretty much any brand these days.  I would suggest staying away from the huckster offerings like Odyssey (bogus cranking amps claims and other slick advertising hype).  And depending on your riding conditions, you could venture into the unknown with a lithium battery that a few folks around here have recommended.   Not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114228.msg1452403#msg1452403

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »

I'm on my second HD battery in my 07 replaced the stock one in 2011 still running on the second one with no issues. Now I've said this I'll probably have to replace it next week  :P

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »

Would the higher CCA yuasa "GYZ" batteries, generally speaking, have equivalent or shorter expected service life than the "standard" yuasa batteries?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:16:05 PM »

Would the higher CCA yuasa "GYZ" batteries, generally speaking, have equivalent or shorter expected service life than the "standard" yuasa batteries?

It's possible some may have shortened lifespans, depending on how they got those extra amps.  The exterior dimensions to fit a Harley are pretty much fixed, so getting more CCA out of the same overall size package involves finding ways to add more plates.  That could entail thinner plates and separators, among other changes.  So far I haven't heard or seen reports of early failures, but the sample size of people using these is probably pretty small.  I dare say most Harley folks haven't heard of this battery yet.

I'm also interested in seeing some reports from folks running lithium batteries.  I know there are a few on this site running one of the various units being offered, and one person has given a positive review so far.  One of my issues with LI batteries is something anyone using LI powered power tools is aware of.  First, performance doesn't taper off like lead acid batteries, but just suddenly shuts down.  Second, LI batteries don't do well in cold weather.  And of course third, there are too many safety issues with poorly made LI batteries, as seen with all the fires in laptops, phones, hover boards, aircraft (Boeing), etc.  There are too many flaky sellers of Chinese batteries packaged to fit a motorcycle, and I'd highly recommend anyone looking for LI make certain they are getting batteries from a reputable source.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »

I read some reviews on the Li batteries on Amazon.  Lot of reports and photos of them burning up.  Really not something I want to experience from either a damage or safety perspective.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »

It's possible some may have shortened lifespans, depending on how they got those extra amps.  The exterior dimensions to fit a Harley are pretty much fixed, so getting more CCA out of the same overall size package involves finding ways to add more plates.  That could entail thinner plates and separators, among other changes.  So far I haven't heard or seen reports of early failures, but the sample size of people using these is probably pretty small.  I dare say most Harley folks haven't heard of this battery yet.

got this battery from phat performance for $127 shipped.  put it in the wife's bike.  going on a year, still going strong.  wife doesn't ride as often as i do, so her bike may sit for short periods of time without being used (two weeks or so) and i don't use a tender.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grahn1967

• FL

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »

Make the switch to  the YUASA absorbed glass mat battery you'll be  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Also, the day I got rid of those pesky acr's was the day I stopped having battery issues. 2014FLHTKSE
Thundermax ECM, Darkhorse Crank and rods, R & R Heads,D & D Fat cat,Feuling oil pump and camplate,S & S Gear drive,S & S 585 easy start, Progressive front and rear,WO577 CHUBBY, Hogtunes all over.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.