Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: WORKS PERFORMACE REAR SHOCK SET UP  (Read 3441 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

WORKS PERFORMACE REAR SHOCK SET UP
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

I purchased a set of used Works Shocks and had them rebuilt. however I didn't get the set up instructions. I reached Works on the Website and came up with some pics of the shocks installed on various bikes. I sent an email to HOGMIKE who had some excellent pics of the shocks installed on his bike. Am hoping he can get back to me.

I have attached a picture of the shocks side by side, one has been adjusted??? The other left for alone, I hope you guys can give me some pointers on seeing them up.

Bike is a 2011 CVO Street Glide, saddle bags total loaded approx. 40lbs. and a Kuraykyn Excursion bag maybe total filled another 30lbs. and I'm 180lbs. What should the shocks be set at. Had Bitubos, simpler to set up pf course I had the Instruction Sheets, in retrospect should have removed before selling the bike.

Thanks in advance

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: WORKS PERFORMACE REAR SHOCK SET UP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:49:50 PM »

Being 180 #’s, take the rh shock and run the collar up until 1/2 the threads are showing from what the picture shows now.  Then take lh shock in picture and adjust collar to the same threads showing as the rh shock. 

Put shocks on bike.  Lift bike on jack and let rear wheel hang and measure from shock bolt to bolt and should be 13 1/4”..   sit bike on ground.  Sit on bike and bounce couple times.  Have assistant measure again from eye to eye with you sitting on bike.  You now want a measurement of 3/4 to 1” less than the first measurement when on jack.  Adjust adjusting collars up or down to get that 3/4 to 1” measurement.  Once done you have set the sag.  This paragraph should help with most rear shock sag adjustment no matter what brand. 

Works uses a dual rate spring.  One on top of the other.  When it changes from the long spring to the short is controlled by the tang on the collar and shock has 4 steps.  The shortest step is for heavy loads and the longest step is for lighter loads. Adjust both tangs over the same steps. 

Problem is most shock spring rates are not for 180 # or less riders.  Wife is 145 # on her own bike and even with Öhlins hard to get right spring. 

Hope this helps.  Instructions were in box when I shipped them to your rebuilder.  Good luck. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:55:22 PM by Boatman »

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »

Boatman,

I will do as you advise, I checked the guy who rebuilt the shocks he claims he lost the instructions,

Thanks for the information,

Leo

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 11:38:56 PM »

Thought Works went out of business.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:53:17 PM »

They have, I bought a used set of their shocks, that's why it's difficult to get instructions.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »

Being 180 #’s, take the rh shock and run the collar up until 1/2 the threads are showing from what the picture shows now.  Then take lh shock in picture and adjust collar to the same threads showing as the rh shock. 

Put shocks on bike.  Lift bike on jack and let rear wheel hang and measure from shock bolt to bolt and should be 13 1/4”..   sit bike on ground.  Sit on bike and bounce couple times.  Have assistant measure again from eye to eye with you sitting on bike.  You now want a measurement of 3/4 to 1” less than the first measurement when on jack.  Adjust adjusting collars up or down to get that 3/4 to 1” measurement.  Once done you have set the sag.  This paragraph should help with most rear shock sag adjustment no matter what brand. 

Works uses a dual rate spring.  One on top of the other.  When it changes from the long spring to the short is controlled by the tang on the collar and shock has 4 steps.  The shortest step is for heavy loads and the longest step is for lighter loads. Adjust both tangs over the same steps. 

Problem is most shock spring rates are not for 180 # or less riders.  Wife is 145 # on her own bike and even with Öhlins hard to get right spring. 

Hope this helps.  Instructions were in box when I shipped them to your rebuilder.  Good luck.

Leo: what he said!!
I have some instructions that came with my shocks and I'll try to get the pics to post here, if that doesn't work, let me have your email in a PM and I'll send them on to you.

HOGMIKE
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »

More
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »

First one...........
HOGMIKE

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »

Mike,

Can you please email me the pictures, when I printed the pic from the post they were very dark and blurry.

My email is lewkojoe@gmail.com

Thanks again,

geezerglide (leo),

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:10:52 PM »

Mike,

Can you please email me the pictures, when I printed the pic from the post they were very dark and blurry.

My email is lewkojoe@gmail.com

Thanks again,

geezerglide (leo),

check your email.................
HOGMIKE

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »

HOGMIKE/Boatman,

I think I have the collars run up properly, see photo. Going to install on bike and got from there.

Thanks

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »

Forgot to add you did you use any extra washers beside the ones that were in the eyelets for the shocks for mounting in the lower and upper mounting points?

Thanks,

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »

Turn the adjuster nuts the opposite way before you install.   Screwed down they are set up for a 500 pound rider.  For you, I would start with about 4 threads showing above the adjuster. 

Put bolt in either upper or lower shock hole and snug bolt but want to be able to swing shock up or down.  Then see where the other end of the shock lays.  If you have to push the shock up against the swing arm you need to add washer. If shock lays nicely against swing arm you are ok. 

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »

I assume the adjuster nut is the top one, correct?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »

I assume the adjuster nut is the top one, correct?

Yes.  Loosen it up until only 4 threads show above it.  The spring is compressed way too much as shown for your ride weight. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »

Between the tang lever and the adjuster is the 2” long or so short spring hence their dual rate shock. The only spring being compressed or decompressed by the adjuster nut is the long spring. 

The action of the short spring is controlled by which tang you use with the step.  4 steps in upper shock collar.  Try the step that is the longest first.  Then maybe the next step with passenger and luggage. I don’t think you will ever use the 2 short steps.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »

Put shock in vice, clamped the lower collar and backed off the adjusting nut till approx 4 - 5 threads showing, see attached, is this correct?

I have seen pics showing the Works Shock with almost 1 - 1 1/2" of thread showing does that mean they have adjusted for heavier loads?

Thanks again

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »

Adjust both shocks like the one on the right.  Put on bike.  Then take length eye to eye measurement with wheel hanging. Lower to ground.  Bounce on bike. Have someone measure with you on bike. 

Yes.  The more threads showing the long shock is compressed more to carry heavier load. 

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »

OK,

Great thanks

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »

Sounds like you got it right Leo. Will wait for the report after you get to try them out.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »

Adjust both shocks like the one on the right.  Put on bike.  Then take length eye to eye measurement with wheel hanging. Lower to ground.  Bounce on bike. Have someone measure with you on bike. 

Yes.  The more threads showing the long shock is compressed more to carry heavier load.

Installed the shocks see attached. Eye to eye length was 13 1/4, lowered bike bounced up & down had wife measure eye to eye. Was just over 12 1/4".

The steel tang under the bottom collar is that to adjust the spring load. I rotated it and did not see any movement in the springs. Put it back, what does it do?

Thanks

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »

Rotate the tang to the right and put it under the first step which is the deepest and softest setting.  Long spring will do all the work til you hit a hard bump and when the long spring bottoms out it (the tang) will transfer to the short stiffer spring to take the jolt out.

Do not adjust the adjuster nuts any more as the measurements you have means the sag is set up correctly.

Turn the tang clockwise til under the deep step. 

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »

Rotate the tang to the right and put it under the first step which is the deepest and softest setting.  Long spring will do all the work til you hit a hard bump and when the long spring bottoms out it (the tang) will transfer to the short stiffer spring to take the jolt out.

Do not adjust the adjuster nuts any more as the measurements you have means the sag is set up correctly.

Turn the tang clockwise til under the deep step.

Batman,

Thanks for all of your help.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »

Batman,

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that's gonna stick for at least awhile  :huepfenlol2: .

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that's gonna stick for at least awhile  :huepfenlol2: .

OOPS  :o
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:31:20 AM by geezerglide »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.