Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Brakes  (Read 1210 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Front Brakes
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:04:38 AM »

I’ve got a 2016 CVO Road Glide. When applying the front brakes I get an ever so light ( hard to explain ) shaking. No pluseing in the brake lever, just a slight vibration. I’m going to clean up the rotors and put in new pads, plus check the run out on the rotors. Is this just part of the ABS or maybe the linked system. Has anyone else had this type of problem and if what did you do to cure it.
          Thanks Jonnierock

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Front Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:13:01 AM »

Possibly warped rotors.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »

Agree with iski that it is likely your rotors.. If you also felt something on your brake hand, it could be your abs but you deny that. How many miles on these brakes and could you have overheated them at some point?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »

I bought it with 4K it now has 8K. I don't remember anytime where they would of gotten over heated. Checked the run out this morning, the right side was 7 thousands and the left was 10. service manual says 8 thousands is the maximum run out. could those 2 thousands on the left be causing the problem ?
                      Jonnierock

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »

Probably enough to feel what you are describing.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »

Yes, could be the rotors.  Do not have to be out that much to cause a shudder.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »

Several of those have been described such that one would normally assume rotors as here but the problem ended up being the wheels.  Just an FYI.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »

I bought it with 4K it now has 8K. I don't remember anytime where they would of gotten over heated. Checked the run out this morning, the right side was 7 thousands and the left was 10. service manual says 8 thousands is the maximum run out. could those 2 thousands on the left be causing the problem ?
                      Jonnierock

Absolutely.  And that .008" spec Harley uses is BS, like their crankshaft runout spec is BS.  Those specs were created out of thin air to reduce their warranty costs, and have nothing to do with proper tolerances based on real engineering principles and real world results.  No one else I'm aware of claims .008" runout is acceptable for a brake rotor, or .012" runout on a crankshaft is acceptable.  That's because any competent and honest engineer knows better.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »

Jonnierock

It is the problem. Also, note that the runout could be opposite of each other giving you a much bigger difference.
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 21 queries.