Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boombox Display Failure  (Read 939 times)

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited, FLHTKSE
Boombox Display Failure
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »

I'm not sure if this is related, but I downloaded the software version 1.22.0.1 into my 2014 CVO Ultra and started having intermittent problems with my display. Now the display is pretty much toast. When I turn on my motorcycle the display is not working and shows a blue screen. The radio works but I can't see to select different stations, use the GPS, etc. Is there some kind of reset I can execute without being able to see the display? I suspect the display is not a serviceable item, and that if I want to replace it, I have to replace the radio. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
Re: Boombox Display Failure
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »

You can replace just the display. But since it comes on and shows color, it is most likely a software issue. I am not sure if you can un install the most recent update though.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »

Others know a lot more about this stuff than me.  I would re-install that software, maybe there was a glitch on the initial install.  If that doesn't work would try to revert to the previous version software that worked.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »

I’m stuck in a Catch-22. I can’t update the software because my display doesn’t work.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »

Found this on another forum:
---------------------------------------
This is out of the 2014 Touring electrial diagnostic manual. To enter the service menu:
1. Turn IGN OFF. Wait 15 seconds.
2. Press and hold power/mute button. Turn IGN? to ACC.
3. Continue to press power button for 2 seconds after the WARNING screen is displayed.
4. Release power/mute button and accept warning.
The service menu may display Diag Service not Availiable when a menu option is initially selected. This message will clear once the system has finished performing the power-on process. Options are: DTCs, Audio, Display, Key input, Component menus, Version info, Reset, Touchscreen.
Reset: Pre-calibration reset: Restores fatory default settings. This is recommended when there are radio symptoms and no DTCs*
Post calibration save: Archives customers settings so that they can be restored after a Post calibration Reset.
Post calibration reset: Resets the radio to factory default settings and restores the last archive data stored during Post calibration.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't work will need to make a trip to the dealer for a hard reset or diagnostic unless somebody else has a better suggestion..
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »

Here's a shot in the dark:  Pull the fuse for the boombox, keep it out for 30 seconds, re-install.

Don't know if pulling the fuse will cause a reset, but...
If you want peace, prepare for war.

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »

I wanted to provide an update to this post. After reviewing my options I was down to two choices, either take it to the dealer, or attempt the repair myself. Unfortunately the display does not have a part number so, if you take in to the dealer it will cost you $1600 for a new radio plus the labor. I decided to go with option #2.

Armed with a maintenance manual and my lifetime career of experience as an electrical engineer, I reluctantly removed the fairing and dug in. Unfortunately I could not find any YouTube videos on how to remove the radio. I noticed that there was a white residue on the components, suggesting that water probably found its way inside the compartment. It immediately reminded me of a ride to Wisconsin when we rode through the worst storm I can remember. I finally got to the radio and removed it from the chassis. There were no loose connections so did some searching and found a site on eBay that sold used BoomBox displays for $250. I ordered one. The display arrived a couple of days later so I returned to the lobotomy in the garage, mated it with the radio and started the reassembly. I took my time and carefully put everything back together. After I finished I crossed my fingers, flipped on the ignition and :mango: :apple: :orange: :huepfenjump3:... She’s alive!

Not to say you need to, but I would recommend that you avoid riding through any gully washers because they’re not fun, you might crash and drown, or you might get your display wet and have to go through what I just finished. Also, take care when you wash your scooter and avoid getting your display wet. It will save you a lot of money and aggravation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:33:52 PM by robinswl »

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »

Another reason I love this site!! Great info. thanks for sharing.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »

And once again we have proof that Harley's are not designed to be ridden outdoors.  After 100 years one might think the folks in Milwaukee would get one of those light bulb moments and figure out their bikes need to be water proof.  Some people actually take them out of the garage and ride them out in the mean old world.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.