Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Belt snapped... Anyone else have issues??  (Read 8043 times)

so sweet so sweet

• Not scared to PLAY a bit
    • MYSPACE
Belt snapped... Anyone else have issues??
« on: December 22, 2007, 12:42:04 AM »

Has anyone had any problems with their bike??  The first 1200 miles the tach was replaced, it just quit working.  Now at 5700 the belt snapped, the tach broke again, the led gas guage is being replaced and the front wheel bearing went out.  The dealership called to let me know they replaced the belt and bearing and the guage and tach are on order.  While riding there is still a problem with the front wheel so it may have to be replaced.  I know stuff happens, but this is rediculous.
Becca
Proud owner of two big bikes
2002 VTX 1800C                        2007 FXSTSSE

New addition 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

www.myspace.com/spankmesweet

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Belt snapped... Anyone else have issues??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »

So why did the belt break??

so sweet so sweet

• MYSPACE
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »

They don't know. Some say the torque on the bike is too strong, but no one knows for sure.
Becca

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 12:59:35 AM »

Belts are pretty tough.  I have been pretty rough on a few through the years, and I have never broke one.  I think I would want them to make sure there is not anything wrong with the bike that is going to cause the belt to break again.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »

Unless you are riding really aggressive (dragstrip racing) the belt shouldn't be an issue. If it were out of alignment this could cause a premature breakage. I believe I've heard of others w/the issue concerning the LED gas gauge, and tach both. If you're still feeling something not right w/front wheel that might be something you want to insist on getting replaced.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

so sweet so sweet

• MYSPACE
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:35:34 AM »

I do ride pretty aggressively, but even so they said it should not have been a problem.  It didn't show any wear or rubbing or anything that could cause it to snap.  As far as the front wheel, I had already had them replaced once. When I picked the bike up I noticed it was making a noise and had a chugging feeling.  The guy told me that it was the springer getting broken in and I should get used to the noise.  I did let him know that it was smooth before and now you could feel and hear something. This new guy said he felt and heard what I was talking about and the other guy should have listened since he didn't know what it was like before.
Becca

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »

Are you having your bike looked at at your local HD shop or an independent that you have known for awhile?  Maybe just trying a new service shop might get someone who is willing to listen to you.  Hope you find the solution to the problem.  I don't think your belt should be breaking if everything is in correct alignment. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »

Belt breakage, even with the latest narrow belts, is not a common occurence.  As for the torque statement, no stock H-D  has anything even approaching the torque necessary to snap a belt.  There are plenty of heavily modified bikes running stock belts with no breakage issues.

Common causes of breakage are misalignment, improper tension, and foreign objects being trapped between the belt and sprockets.  Then there is the possibility of just getting a defective belt from the supplier.  Have the dealer closely inspect the sprockets for abnormal wear, sharp edges, etc., and then make sure the alignment and belt tension are set properly.  You will need to have the new belt checked and readjusted after 500-1000 miles.

I'm not familiar with the current springer setup, but the older versions had to be maintained, cleaned, and lubricated religiously to reduce noise and harshness.  I wonder if this has anything to do with your front end issues?  Hopefully someone with more Springer experience will chime in here.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '11 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: '02 FLSTSI
    • CVO3: '05 ROAD ROD
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »

Belt breakage, even with the latest narrow belts, is not a common occurence.  As for the torque statement, no stock H-D  has anything even approaching the torque necessary to snap a belt.  There are plenty of heavily modified bikes running stock belts with no breakage issues.

Common causes of breakage are misalignment, improper tension, and foreign objects being trapped between the belt and sprockets.  Then there is the possibility of just getting a defective belt from the supplier.  Have the dealer closely inspect the sprockets for abnormal wear, sharp edges, etc., and then make sure the alignment and belt tension are set properly.  You will need to have the new belt checked and readjusted after 500-1000 miles.

I'm not familiar with the current springer setup, but the older versions had to be maintained, cleaned, and lubricated religiously to reduce noise and harshness.  I wonder if this has anything to do with your front end issues?  Hopefully someone with more Springer experience will chime in here.

Jerry

I agree with Jerry and the general consensus that the belt didn't break from torque output. It would also seem unlikely that the engineers at The Motor Company wouldn't account for the torque output of their drivetrains. And if they didn't, we'd probably have the knowledge by now that belt breakage was a common problem. Jerry's advice of having the new belt inspected and adjusted after 500-1000 miles tells me tells me he knows his stuff!!!

I've been a Springer guy for some time and aside from greasing the front end frequently, I've gone 20,000 miles between services for the steering head. This typically involves new races and bearings. If you bang the bike around from those wonderful potholes that seek us out, I would have the geometry checked out more often. You're not the first CVO Springer owner that has told me they're having multiple problems, and God knows what Harley has done to their tachs. I usually hit the Factory show in Rapid City during Sturgis week and that's a good time to vocalize your complaints to the guys that design our bikes. I hope they get you fixed up and In The Wind!

Joe

so sweet so sweet

• MYSPACE
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:55:43 AM »

Thank y'all for the responses.  I will update if/when they ever let me know more.  It is at the original dealer I bought the bike from this time.  It was their sister store that had done the work before.
Becca

dagbre

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 SEFB
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »

Check if the belt touches the inner plastic fender, right behind the belt guard. Look for scratch marks there.
Måteleg klok kvar mann vere ovklok vere han ikkje for sjeldan er hugnad i hjarta å finna hjå honom som ovklok er!

havoc

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »

My belt broke with a little more than 900 miles on it.  The reason the dealer gave was unknown, but replaced it under the warranty.  The real reason I think it broke was the belt tension.  I've gotten on it a couple of times before and it made a god awful sound.  From the tires squealing I really didn't know what it was.  Now that the belt has been replace I've been a little light on the gas.  I did get the back end a sideways the other day and nothing was noted out of the ordinary.

I do think that the extended warranty on this bike is a must!  A friend of mine has a 07 with 6500 miles on it and not a problem one and he hides pretty hard.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:55:57 PM by havoc »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »

I agree with GRC, no current production Harley has enough power to snap a belt. Mis-aligned is my best guess.

I snapped a belt in 00 on my Softail and I believe I must have picked something up in the belt or it was simply mis-aligned. My 124" has a belt on a rigid frame and I enjoy pulling hole shots with this bike, no issues.

Congratulations on the 08 BUSA. Nice ride. :2vrolijk_21: I'm tempted even though when I sold mine this summer I said never again. ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »

What problem are you still having with the front wheel? I agree with GRC, or Puzzled. If you kicked up a rock and it got in between the belt and the pulley it could damage the belt and cause a sharp edge on the pulley causing the belt to break. The reason I asked about your front wheel, if you have an alignment problem it could cause the belt problem and could cause riding issues too, causing you to think you have a problem with the front wheel. If you've been going to the same dealer and are not getting the results, I'd try going somewhere else.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 01:07:12 PM by Talon »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »

I have seen two belts break in the past couple of years.  Both on baggers.  Both had rocks impeded in the pulley that had cut the belts....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.