Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 96/103 in for crank runout  (Read 12678 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 96/103 in for crank runout
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »

When spliting the case to have the Timken conversion done and looking at the other half of the crank the splines were badly worn. Will have to go with a new crank, S&S.  Going to the dealer tomorrow to check things out.  Dealer is asking me about why I had the fueling oil pump installed, my question is would a piece of cam shoe cause the splines to be worn?  (If I have all the motor terms correct.)  I would like to get some of the work covered under the extended warranty and have the S&S crank installed instead of the Harley.  Anyone had this issue?  Comments? Thanks!
Sorry to hear this. :( Don't know but I would think if a piece of the tensioner got someplace where the tolerances were tight it could do damage. Look at this picture Henry (REGGAB) posted of what pieces did to his oil pump....

You would think the splines would tear up the chunks before the chunks wore out the splines, but I guess anything is possible. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 06:43:23 PM »

I'll take some photos tomorrow and post.
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »

Howdy
Dropped off my brother en laws 07 SG for primary chain tightness/vibration. We checked crank runout on the primary side with .038 runout. His is a HD dealer built 103. Local dealer acted like we were talking a different language to them. They said they never heard of crank runout problems w/ 96's.   We had to take a print out of HD Tech Tip 324 in to them to educate the service manager.  Guess they are in a meeting now as I'm writing this. We'll see how it goes!!!!

Why is HD not replacing the whole motor?  That's the usual fix up to now.  Mine was .020 ans I got a motor.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

crewchief25h

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 07:58:37 PM »

This whole deal is out of hand now. Dealer finished the motor, now the oil is not circulating. They said the plug in the bottom of the case was in to far and is blocking the oil from circulating.  Guess what, that plug was in that position for 2400 miles and the motor ran fine. Now the dealer thinks it's restricting oil flow an the motor will not rev past 3000 rpm. What a mess..

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »

If your still considering the Muscle 103 kit, just run away don't walk away.   It is not something you want in your bike unless your willing to redo it over at your own cost.   I had the first one and Twolane also had one and Dawg is now having lots of issues with his 113 with this same porting done to the heads on his 04 pumpkin. 

I made more power taking a set of CNC Harley heads removing the ramps from the chambers and installing a set of flat top pistons and a YB13 Cam from Brad Yuill.

Zippers muscle 103  w/ 657 cam was 105 tq / 113 horsepower   (no fun to ride)

HD CNC    117 / 114 and the bike runs smooth and quiet.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »

If your still considering the Muscle 103 kit, just run away don't walk away.   It is not something you want in your bike unless your willing to redo it over at your own cost.   I had the first one and Twolane also had one and Dawg is now having lots of issues with his 113 with this same porting done to the heads on his 04 pumpkin. 

I made more power taking a set of CNC Harley heads removing the ramps from the chambers and installing a set of flat top pistons and a YB13 Cam from Brad Yuill.

Zippers muscle 103  w/ 657 cam was 105 tq / 113 horsepower   (no fun to ride)

HD CNC    117 / 114 and the bike runs smooth and quiet.

Harry

Did you do this work or did CycleRama or a shop do this work you speak of above?
From your text
it appears you did this work yourself!

Don't want anyone thinking you did this actual work do you?
What shop did this work?
Give them the credit!
Don't let everyone think you did it on your own!
That kinda reminds me of a MFG post!

Good to see you and Michelle this weekend!
See you at Maggie Valley!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 10:09:37 PM »

Chip,

I had al redman do the heads and another friend Brian from Scooters do the build on the pumpkin.   In this case I put together the package to try and use a flat top piston with the cnc head to see if it would work, since the heads have pretty good flows from the factory.   FWIW they flowed 171 on the front and 172 on the rear at 10 inches with good velocity.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20133.msg320626#msg320626 

In the Zippers case if you go way back to the old board I had Bragging Rights do the build.   
All other parts were supplied by Zippers for the first muscle 103 kit.   I had donated the heads to them for the protoypes.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »

Chip,

I had al redman do the heads and another friend Brian from Scooters do the build on the pumpkin.   In this case I put together the package to try and use a flat top piston with the cnc head to see if it would work, since the heads have pretty good flows from the factory.   FWIW they flowed 171 on the front and 172 on the rear at 10 inches with good velocity.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20133.msg320626#msg320626 

In the Zippers case if you go way back to the old board I had Bragging Rights do the build.   
All other parts were supplied by Zippers for the first muscle 103 kit.   I had donated the heads to them for the protoypes.

Thanks Harry
Knew you would give credit where credit is due!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »

Damn I just got caught up on this thread.

First off who said I had issues with my 113 build?????? Yes I have issues with Zippers but not with the motor. I am unhappy with the build as it is not what I was told it would be but that is the only problem. It also has not been tuned as of yet. I guess I can take some blame there also.

As far as the 657 cams in the 103 build, there are some people who have had problems. Actually it is a very good cam it just needs all of the right componets. That is also the case with any cams. The CVO heads SUCK, plain and simple and I think this is where the major problem arises with these builds. I wanted to keep the stock CVO look. That is the only reason why I had Zippers rework the heads.

One other problem is the level of TESTOSTERONE on this board. My bike makes more power than yours kinda deal. Yep I got it toooo. The Zip 113 is putting out 126 square. I am happy with those numbers as the TQ comes in very early. But if I were to change heads, cams and TB on this build 140 HP would not be out of the question. I chose to stay where I am (for right now anyway) as if fits my riding style. Also I very rarely twist the wick except to catch the Little Women on her V Rod.

So to the ones who have had problems I have to say I am sorry for dragging Zippers into the CVO world. It has worked for me (kinda) but not for all.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:01:50 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »

Dawg,

You said you had no problems above, yet in this thread you said you did:  :nixweiss:

It is great to see I am not the only one WITH ISSUES. Now if they were 647's like the ones they were suppossed to put in my bike I would buy them. Now I think it is time to pull my heads and look at them.

I guess in a few weeks I will be ready to unload. Don I bet you can't wait for that now can you.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20696.msg330623#msg330623

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »

Harry ol bud!

You are reading in to Dawg's post what you want it to say!
Read it again. He says he has issues with Zippers not putting the cams he wanted in his bike.
He never said he had motor issues. You said that!   (see below)

I had the first one and Twolane also had one and Dawg is now having lots of issues with his 113 with this same porting done to the heads on his 04 pumpkin.  

What Dawg said was,

It is great to see I am not the only one WITH ISSUES. Now if they were 647's like the ones they were suppossed to put in my bike I would buy them. Now I think it is time to pull my heads and look at them.

Dawg has issues with Zippers, not with the motor they built!

You have his #, call him if you want the story on the issues.

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »

Chip,

The CNC program is the same on the 103 and the 113, and while I am glad you posted for DAWG I am quite sure he is big boy and can do so for himself.  And I am specifically looking at him saying 
Now I think it is time to pull my heads and look at them.
along with the cam issues.

if you were to ask a reasonable man why he would pull the heads off his motor if he was happy with them and the bike was running well ...  my answer would be you wouldnt till you had cause to. 

I also know just us 6 also had issues with his 113 build.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:39:39 PM by Unbalanced »

hogasm

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

:vrolijk27:

:zwtf:

I think I'll sit back and eat some :vrolijk_11:

since I'm an  :engel017:

someone please  :givemebeer:

while I sit back and watch the :sauer007:

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »

Photo of stock SE crank, as promised from previous post.  Not as damaged as originally told.  Not covered under warranty as runout is with HD spec's and splines not damaged enough to effect operation  :(.  Ended up going with the S&S crank, Zippers putting together the bottom end to include the Timken bearing.  Dealer doing the top end along with the clutch and bearing upgrade.  Cheers!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

hogasm

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 07:26:38 AM »

Photo of stock SE crank, as promised from previous post.  Not as damaged as originally told.  Not covered under warranty as runout is with HD spec's and splines not damaged enough to effect operation  :(.  Ended up going with the S&S crank, Zippers putting together the bottom end to include the Timken bearing.  Dealer doing the top end along with the clutch and bearing upgrade.  Cheers!

That's a shame that your dealer would not work a little better with you on a new crank. I realize that Big Brother changed the runout specs, which is a crock of chit....mine was out .0008 and they gave me a new crank. I used the moneys to buy a screamin eagle/Jims crank. Much better crank, worth the upgrade.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.