Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Production no. vs. VIN  (Read 1752 times)

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
Production no. vs. VIN
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »

Hi Guys & another question about FXR4 numbers.Can I tell by my VIN what number my bike is out of the 316 produced in 2000.Thanks again for all the great info you provided for me.Many thanks & real happy to be a CVO member.

RedFXR2

Re: Production no. vs. VIN
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »

You'd have to know the full range of VIN's for your bike to know that.  First VIN assigned to last.  My FXR2 has the last 3 digits 431.  Does that mean that mine was the 431st of the 901 produced ?  or did the VIN's start at say, 350?  Or 276, or whatever?  431st would be a reasonable guess, but only a guess unless the full range of assigned VIN's could be determined.  And were the VIN's color specific?  A range for each color starting with end of the first color?  I personally doubt it, but again it's possible, I suppose.  Another problem for me is that in 1999, the FXR2 and 3 were being produced.  I would need to know if the frames were sequentially allotted to each bike, or mixed between the two?

For the FXR4, it was the sole FXR in 2000 so the frames should be uniquely VIN'd for that year.  (one of the letters in the VIN denotes the year but I'd have to go look that up.)  But then all the above questions still come up.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »

Hello Red and Gregg, the tenth digit represents the year on the VIN number. So for a 1999 it should be 9 and 2000 should be 0. If I find my old summons book you could look up many years. The older years had a designated letter instead of a number. If i find it I'll send you a copy for future reference. Best, George.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »

Red, I am so glad that I could help you with that question. Your the best. You always give important info. And from what I hear, you are well respected for your valuable experitise.

Best regards,
George

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.