Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!  (Read 18959 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

I have been doing a lot of research also and Hoist is correct, I have called every tire supply around. Really no problem with finding the rear but the front is the hard one. So i gave in and will be at H-D store in the morning to put 2 new tires on, I'll let you know what happens. With everthing i have read about on here i don't expect to get 10,600 miles on the new ones. I'm not really
concerned about mileage just as long as they don't screw up the way the bike handles.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

I have been doing a lot of research also and Hoist is correct, I have called every tire supply around. Really no problem with finding the rear but the front is the hard one. So i gave in and will be at H-D store in the morning to put 2 new tires on, I'll let you know what happens. With everthing i have read about on here i don't expect to get 10,600 miles on the new ones. I'm not really
concerned about mileage just as long as they don't screw up the way the bike handles.

That's the point. The D407F does screw up the way the bike rides and handles. There's a tremendous need for an option for the front. But since tires are made to run best in a matched set, we need to find one with a matching rear. Nothing exists to handle the 937 lb load rating we get with the D407 rear. And Metzler makes a V rated front too, besides the H rated ME880. But that rating is 60V. meaning only 550 lb load rating in lieu of the 63H 600 lb load rating. If you use the Metzler ME880 V rated front and rear, you've given up over 200 lbs of load handling capacity! What a conundrum! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »

I'm in agreement with ya. I called and ordered mine also. Maybe in another 10000 miles another manufacture will step up to fill this small void. I'm sure it's a matter of such a limited need the manufacture's don't feel it justify the cost. Too bad, this is really a great wheel/tire set up on the RoadKings.
JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »

I'm in agreement with ya. I called and ordered mine also. Maybe in another 10000 miles another manufacture will step up to fill this small void. I'm sure it's a matter of such a limited need the manufacture's don't feel it justify the cost. Too bad, this is really a great wheel/tire set up on the RoadKings.
JW

Right on Jeff! The best riding and handling RK they've made yet. All we need is some decent tire choices now! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »

Whatever you do, don't mix tire brands. Between tire construction, type of rubber and what the purpose of the tire requirements are it's just too risky IMO to put 2 different brands on your bike. For example, You might would have a sticky front and a hard rear and the first good corner you go into the back washes out. Sticking with the same family of a tire brand ( ie.. Elite), the rubber compound will be more consistant and both tires will behave similar.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »

That's the point. The D407F does screw up the way the bike rides and handles. There's a tremendous need for an option for the front. But since tires are made to run best in a matched set, we need to find one with a matching rear. Nothing exists to handle the 937 lb load rating we get with the D407 rear. And Metzler makes a V rated front too, besides the H rated ME880. But that rating is 60V. meaning only 550 lb load rating in lieu of the 63H 600 lb load rating. If you use the Metzler ME880 V rated front and rear, you've given up over 200 lbs of load handling capacity! What a conundrum! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
Hoist! 8)

Sounds like no BSR, no Tour Pak and certainly no fairing!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Sounds like no BSR, no Tour Pak and certainly no fairing!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

HeHe!!! Good one Phil! :2vrolijk_21: ;D

I guess I can live with the load loss up front then, huh? :huepfenjump3:

But the back might be a problem! :o :nixweiss: ;)

Then again....... ::)

Hoist! 8)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Tire Options for a SERK3/4?
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »

Hey gang..just got back from a short trip and my buddies noticed my front tire is "cupping"..still new to riding..some say cupping is a bad tire, alignment problem, balancing issue or that I ride my SERK hard in turns and touring bikes aren't meant to do that. Called the dealer to see if they had any D407 F in stock..he said whats up you have an 08, I said my front tire Cupped, he said I should take it to my dealer it's a warrantee issue, I said you are my dealer, he paused and said "OH, then I'd bring it in right away"...also have 9300 miles on the tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated. still learning.
Dean

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

I ordered new tires to be put on after the 2 trips I'll be taking over the next 2 weeks. About 3500 miles total between them, plus a Dynotune on the old ones. I hope they can last that long!

Ouch, those stock Dunlops suck. Not holding up to Hoist's abuse very well. Rear is cupping now, and the new front just sucks! I can make the Southern trip, but I'll definitely be done after the ME trip for sure. I hope I don't need the new one's for ME. I'd like to get thru the Dyno on these POS Dunlops, then get the new Metzler ME880 radials (actually Pirellis-they own Metzler, did ya know that? I didn't!) I ordered when I get back from ME. I did find they make a 130/70R-18 front, but not a VR rated one. I ordered it, and got a 170/50VR-17 rated ME880 for the rear. Front load rating is 600 lbs and the rear load rating is 843 if I'm not mistaken. Should be adequate for Cybil. So Metzler does make replacements for those POS Dunlops in the correct sizes. I've only used Metzler Lasertechs before, so I hope I like the ME880 Radials!

I'll let ya'll know what I think of em in a few weeks! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Well, how are the skins? 

Mine are getting thin and if I don't plunge for serg Ima going to need new ones soon.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »

Well, how are the skins? 

Mine are getting thin and if I don't plunge for serg Ima going to need new ones soon.

It's been very frustrating finding replacement tires for this bike. I never went with those Metzlers as I didn't want to give up the weight handling capacity of the stock tires. After exhaustive research, came up blank! :nixweiss:

Any ideas? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:54:04 PM by Hoist! »

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »

It's been very frustrating finding replacement tires for this bike. I never went with those Metzlers as I didn't want to give up the weight handling capacity of the stock tires. After exhaustive research, came up blank! :nixweiss:

Any ideas? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,

Send an email to Jeff at Grand Canyon HD Jeff@gch-d.com and see if they have the E3. I had my front replaced there the end of May and they only had E3s. Maybe you could buy a couple for future use.
 :drink:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »

Hey gang..just got back from a short trip and my buddies noticed my front tire is "cupping"..still new to riding..some say cupping is a bad tire, alignment problem, balancing issue or that I ride my SERK hard in turns and touring bikes aren't meant to do that. Called the dealer to see if they had any D407 F in stock..he said whats up you have an 08, I said my front tire Cupped, he said I should take it to my dealer it's a warrantee issue, I said you are my dealer, he paused and said "OH, then I'd bring it in right away"...also have 9300 miles on the tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated. still learning.
Dean

Not bad mileage I would think.  The 418Fs the 07s had cupped and I replaced my over winter break at 9000.  We'll see how the D407F wear.  Cupping is usually alighnment but the SERKs seem to be prone to doing it.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »

Not bad mileage I would think.  The 418Fs the 07s had cupped and I replaced my over winter break at 9000.  We'll see how the D407F wear.  Cupping is usually alighnment but the SERKs seem to be prone to doing it.

Cupping can also be caused by "pushing" the front in corners. As much as the SERK's weigh and most of it toward the rear it's no wonder the tires aren't cupping sooner than they are.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 04:28:48 AM »

Howie - interesting to hear that you are having issues with your replacement front tire. My bike came with the D407's front and rear and I have just replaced both of them for my trip. I have found them to be good tires over here and have never felt like the bike is not sure footed in any situation.

What difference did you notice when you replaced the front with the D407?

They certainly don't seem to wear too well, but I then lay that off against the handling of the bike with them on.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »

All the posts I've read alluded to there not being any Metzlers in the size for the FLHRSE4.  I just called a company and they said they have exact match ups...130/70 HR18  and 170/60VR17...not sure if this is right information. The ME880 has an "H" added to the fronts and on the companys website it has in parentheses GL1800 and VTX1800...as well the rear has a "V"  added to the rear..I'm guessing it's the weight rating, which doesn't match up. Confused.
Dean
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.