Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another 110 build  (Read 1420 times)

havoc

Another 110 build
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »

Okay I've tried to do as much homework as I could on this build so here we go.

The dealer is pulling the jugs for the obvious oil leak, but mine is down at the bottom of the jugs on the front cylinder 08 SE Springer.  Anyway I got myself a leak and it's getting fixed.  So in the process why not have some head work done and a new cam.

My little list.

Heads Port, polish, and flow test
4 stainless valves (increasing valve size about .050 and new cuts)
Port throttle body
Cut heads down to achieve 10:5 to 1 compression
Woods 188 Night Prowler Springs
Woods TW408-6 Cam
Adjustable SE push rods

I've been thinking about gear drive for the cam, but Bobby Woods said it wasn't necessary.  He did say I need to get a bigger air filter "If you leave POS stock filter on there you might as well pull the rear spark plug wire".  Some more was said but that is basically his point.  So I will figure something out for that later.  I am running the VH Big Radius pipes which I know isn't the greatest and I think I might give the Thunder City baffles a try.  I love the way they look, and sound, and not a big fan of the 2 in 1.  Then of course the electronic side SERT, Thunder Max, PC III and so on.  The problem with the SERT is there isn't a good tuner in this area or at least one that is known.

So any other ideas?  I'm trying not to break the bank on this build either.

Chuck

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Another 110 build
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »

Havoc,

I don't see a need to go to 2.130 intake valves over the 2.080 you already have in the 110.  The springs i would change out.   Cam choice might be a bit noisey but that is a personal choice.   I don't know that I would want the compression at 10.5 to 1 based on the current gas situations and the ethanol being added.   You might consider 10.0 to 1.   

Not sure what you mean by new cuts.   Typically the headwork I have had done has been port, polish, flow with 5 angle valve job.   Each porter usually has his own thing he likes to do, I would verify what your after and go from there.   Velocity is what your after not just big flow numbers.

If your doing all this work you really should consider new lifters.   Instead of the standard SE Pushrods adjustable they make a new type that is tapered you might consider these or S&S pushrods.

What are your targets for numbers that your looking to achieve and where are you looking for the power (ie where do you ride the most)?

Good luck with the build,
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

08_ScreaminSpringer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »

I'm in the same boat with my 08 fxstsse rear head gasket.

What's wrong with the stock lifters? Also does the cvo 110 come with roller rockers? And do you need forged rocker supports or are they factory?

I was looking at the woods cam TW-7H i was talked out of it because of noise.

Havoc,
If wish to go V&H big radius 2-1 i have a used set (only 200 miles) going with D&D fatcat

Thanks!
08 Softail Screamin Eagle Springer with SERT and D&D fatcat Big Boar 2 into 1..

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »

I'm in the same boat with my 08 fxstsse rear head gasket.

What's wrong with the stock lifters?  They have been known to fail with added performance.  Also does the cvo 110 come with roller rockers? No. And do you need forged rocker supports Yes or are they factory?

I was looking at the woods cam TW-7H i was talked out of it because of noise.

Havoc,
If wish to go V&H big radius 2-1 i have a used set (only 200 miles) going with D&D fatcat

Thanks!

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

havoc

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »

Havoc,

I don't see a need to go to 2.130 intake valves over the 2.080 you already have in the 110.  The springs i would change out.   Cam choice might be a bit noisey but that is a personal choice.   I don't know that I would want the compression at 10.5 to 1 based on the current gas situations and the ethanol being added.   You might consider 10.0 to 1.   

Not sure what you mean by new cuts.   Typically the headwork I have had done has been port, polish, flow with 5 angle valve job.   Each porter usually has his own thing he likes to do, I would verify what your after and go from there.   Velocity is what your after not just big flow numbers.

If your doing all this work you really should consider new lifters.   Instead of the standard SE Pushrods adjustable they make a new type that is tapered you might consider these or S&S pushrods.

What are your targets for numbers that your looking to achieve and where are you looking for the power (ie where do you ride the most)?

Good luck with the build,
One of the issues is I have a great builder, but hasn't worked on the 110 before.  So his knowledge about the heads on the 110 is very limited.  For him having new valves gives him the ability to put is own cut on the valves.  He made reference about some heads you can buy have been CNC cut but was unsure if mine have been cut like that before.  So any information that anyone has on the 08 heads would be great so I can pass that along.  I'm trying to keep the dealer to maintain the warranty and if the valves are replace that might be a issue for them.

I will inquire about the push rods and new lifters.

The numbers I would like to see.  Well I would love to see anything above 110 in the lower end.  I'm a local bar hopper type rider.  If I put over 200 miles in a day that is a lot of riding for me.  The boss is always riding with me other than the days I might ride into work.   Which is why noise isn't a huge factor for me.  The bike is loud, I can't hear anyway, so what more is a little noise

08_SS asked some good question which I also wish I had the answers for.  Does anyone have a spec sheet on the heads or even better the engine?  Bobby Woods said that the TW-7 H is his best bolt in cam without doing any head work.  Once I mentioned doing the heads  he said I need to go bigger with the cam.  If Bobby has time to talk to you he is a character with a lot of knowledge and a HUGE patriot.

I'm still trying to iron everything out before I go forward, so thanks for the opinions and advice.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.