Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome Peeling on Wheels  (Read 3593 times)

yort4041

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Black Ice
    • CVO2: Big Dog PitBull
Chrome Peeling on Wheels
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »

I know I'Ve seen this topic before. I discovered the chrome is bubbling and peeling on my front wheel on my SERk3. Its not under the original warranty, however, I do have the extended warranty until 2011. Can someone advise on what can be done...if anything. Thanks

dynamicpress

Re: Chrome Peeling on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:12:30 AM »

I have the same issue  on my FXDSE2. I am in warranty and they will replace, however I will soon be out of warranty and have been thinking about purchasing the Harley extended warranty.
Does any one know if chrome is covered. 

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

I do not think Chrome is covered, the ext. warranty is really a extended service contract and it does not cover cosmetic things like paint, chrome and the leather seats. It covers electronics, motor, tranny etc. Ext. service contracts on cars work the same way. Sorry.

Scott

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »

Hi,
Join the club, the chrome on my front wheel is peeling.
Tried to get it replaced/rechromed as it has only done 5000miles but is out of warranty.
Not a chance - informed that the warranty would not cover the chrome anyway...... :soapbox:

Best of luck.......

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:25:38 PM »

I've had two set of wheels replaced when on the extended warranty...both 04 SEEG's...due to chrome peeling.

But it could have been the good will of the dealer...I don't know...

I have a great relationship with my local dealer.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

nsrider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »

I had both wheels, right side foot board insert and right mirror replaced under warranty. Well beyond warranty now and rear wheel and footboard insert have peeled again. I had an opportunity to show it to a senior guy from the CVO division when he was here for a rally last summer; he indicated the dealer should take care of it.  I am talking with the dealer now, will let you know how it turns out.

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »

I had both wheels, right side foot board insert and right mirror replaced under warranty. Well beyond warranty now and rear wheel and footboard insert have peeled again. I had an opportunity to show it to a senior guy from the CVO division when he was here for a rally last summer; he indicated the dealer should take care of it.  I am talking with the dealer now, will let you know how it turns out.

You remember the CVO guys name :nixweiss:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »

:cherry:
I live in Sunset Beach, N.C.  and am about 2 miles from the beach.  My bike is in the garage at all times I'm not riding it or working on it.  I have a street rod with polished aluminum parts on it and on occassion, I have needed to leave it sit outside for a few days........Guess what,  I have had problems with the polished valve covers getting messed up with corrosion.

I see that you are located in (New Orleans)..............Whether or not your bike sits outside or not,  it is a "likely" contributor to your problem.......... :oops:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »

The biggest problem with chrome wheels these days is the fact that most are aluminum.  Aluminum is difficult to plate when compared to steel; after fighting that problem for years many of the auto companies are now installing "chrome clad" wheels rather than truly chromed wheels.  The thin exterior steel shell is chromed and then permanently bonded to the aluminum wheel, resulting in a more durable finish at a lower cost. 

As for the salt air, yes it can cause etching or pitting of polished aluminum in a heartbeat.  That is not necessarily the case for a good chrome surface, however.  I live in an area where they love to put 2 inches of road salt on a 1 inch snowfall, and the chrome clad wheels on Momma's CUV show absolutely no sign of damage from the salt at all.  And even if salt did cause some pitting, that should not cause good chrome plating to peel.  Many folks with 2004 SEEG's had wheels and other chromed parts peel, and many of those folks lived no where near the ocean.  The plating was substandard, period.  The MoCo seems to go through periods of this sort of problem, possibly related to whomever has the contract for the plated parts at a particular time.  It's not just the wheels, btw, but the other parts like floorboards and hand or foot controls as well.

As for the original question posed in this thread, the ESP does not cover cosmetic issues.  However, you should still try to get H-D to assist with the replacement cost.  I would first go to the dealer and ask for his assistance.  If he doesn't want to step up himself, ask him to at least contact the MoCo on your behalf.  If the dealer can't help, then contact the MoCo directly.  State the facts as you see them, indicate your disappointment in the durability of the parts on your flagship CVO motorcycle, state what you think would be a fair response to your problem, and then ask them to assist you.  They may decide to replace the wheel, they may decide to pay for a portion of the replacement, or they may blow you off.  You'll never know until you ask.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.