Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: [Motorcycle] Camera Advice???  (Read 4852 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: [Motorcycle] Camera Advice???
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »

Bill....you will not be disappointed with the D90.  It has many of the functions of Nikon's "pro" model D300, and since it is a newer release, has a few extras like video capability.  The image sensor is virtually identical to the pro model, and may be just a bit better regarding processing the image, depending on what file type you choose to shoot.  Memory cards are cheap right now, and many have nice rebates, so I would recommend getting a couple of 8GB, high speed cards made by either Lexar or SanDisc.  The higher speed cards allow the camera to write data faster so there is no lag time when shooting multiple shots in sequence.  There are cheaper cards out there, but IMO those two brands are the best and most reliable.  With the two 8GB cards, you will be able to get over 600 images, even if you shoot them in RAW (largest) format.  If you shoot in Jpeg large, you'll be able to get well over 1,000 images on the two cards.  On the back of the bike, Jpegs will do 90% of the time.  For scenic shots, the RAW format will record more detail in the highlights and shadows.  The D90 is capable of many things, so there will be a learning curve involved to utilize all the functions, but you can also just pick it up and shoot with it if that's what you want to do.  It doesn't HAVE to be complicated, but I would recommend playing with the camera and figuring out what kind of settings you like and set them up in the "my menu" so they are easily accessible without digging through layers of menus to get where you want to be.  The D90 has an outstanding LCD and it can also be used in "live view", like a point and shoot without a viewfinder.
Regarding the Nikon 18-200 VRII...it is a great all purpose lens, and IMO, superior to third party lenses in it's class.  You will likely use the lens more in the 18-135 range, which is where it is at it's best.  At 200, it's just a little soft, but nobody but an expert would be able to tell the difference in anything other than a very large print (larger than 13x19).  The VR will allow you to get shots that you normally would not be able to get with a non VR lens.  It is also a very fast autofocusing lens because it is an AF-S lens.  You will be happy with it...Nikon has sold nearly 1 million of these lenses, so they must have done something right. I am a firm believer in putting a protective filter on all my lenses, but please do not cut corners on this item.  I personally use B+W skylight or clear filters with their MRC coating which ensures that the filter will not degrade the image quality you are paying for with the Nikon lens.  Hoya is also a good brand.  I'm not a big fan of Tiffen.  You'll pay from 70-100 bucks for a good filter.  A polarizer would be a good thing to have as well, for use off the bike....again, don't scrimp on that glass either.  I get almost everything from B&H Photo in New York...they are reputable and have good prices.  Good luck, and enjoy your new camera!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »

Thanks Terry!

Appreciate the filter guidance...need to add that to the list!

I should have a new camera next week.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »

Camera arrived Friday!

Took a ride with Anne on the back taking some pics on Saturday...a couple of observations:

1.  Had trouble auto-focusing when moving...changing to action mode on the lens seemed to help
2.  Anne is worried about losing lens cap...will buy a couple of spares
3.  Anne found it a little heavy, but she said she would get used to it
4.  the lens hood hurts when it pokes you in the shoulder at unexpected stops

That said, I really love the camera...handles well when off the bike.  Pretty easy to set many of the major features that I want as defaults.  I splurged and also bought the SB900 flash.  I have a Lumedyne recycler for my Canon's Vivitar flash...I wonder if there is a cable for my new one? I also grabbed a few extra memory cards, batteries as well as a few other extras...but now feel I NEEEEEEED the GPS option!

I have had a Cullman tripod for many years and decided to try their Magic two tripod that stores nice and flat.

I am worried that I will miss a faster lens when indoors.  On my A1, I had the 50mm f1.4.  That said, the flash should take care of that concern.  Even the built-in one works well.

Later, Bill

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

Camera arrived Friday!

Took a ride with Anne on the back taking some pics on Saturday...a couple of observations:

1.  Had trouble auto-focusing when moving...changing to action mode on the lens seemed to help
2.  Anne is worried about losing lens cap...will buy a couple of spares
3.  Anne found it a little heavy, but she said she would get used to it
4.  the lens hood hurts when it pokes you in the shoulder at unexpected stops

That said, I really love the camera...handles well when off the bike.  Pretty easy to set many of the major features that I want as defaults.  I splurged and also bought the SB900 flash.  I have a Lumedyne recycler for my Canon's Vivitar flash...I wonder if there is a cable for my new one? I also grabbed a few extra memory cards, batteries as well as a few other extras...but now feel I NEEEEEEED the GPS option!

I have had a Cullman tripod for many years and decided to try their Magic two tripod that stores nice and flat.

I am worried that I will miss a faster lens when indoors.  On my A1, I had the 50mm f1.4.  That said, the flash should take care of that concern.  Even the built-in one works well.

Later, Bill

Hey with all this discussion...Let's see some pictures?

:2vrolijk_21:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »

Had to reduce size so really wont help much

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »

same caveat

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »

It would appear that you are off to a good start...Enjoy the view...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »

Glad you're liking the new camera, Bill.  On the autofocus issue, you might also try playing with the autofocus configuration switch, giving the camera fewer options to focus on.  The action mode is for riding in a car or on a bike, so that should help as well.

Nikon makes a couple of nice 50mm lenses in either 1.4 or 1.8...both are excellent and not all that expensive for Nikon glass.

The SB900 is an awesome flash unit, plus you can use the on board flash as a commander and the SB900 as a wireless slave, with all controls in camera operating everything in iTTL.  If you really want to get creative with flash, get an SB600 (cheaper), as a yet another light source which will also operate wirelessly.

A couple of other things you might want to take a look at:  http://www.upstrap-pro.com/   Very grippy shoulder strap...it will NOT slip off your shoulder when walking around with the camera...get the quick detach model for when you don't want the stap on there.  Also:  http://www.ultimatebouncecard.com/   I know you got some stuff with the SB900, but this bounce is really easy to use and packs flat.

Sample of SB600 with this bounce card...flash compensation -2.  18-200 VR lens.  Tough lighting situation.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »

Strap looks great!

I already am eyeing the new (and cheap at $199) Nikon F1.8 35mm lens that nobody has in stock.

/Bill

Glad you're liking the new camera, Bill.  On the autofocus issue, you might also try playing with the autofocus configuration switch, giving the camera fewer options to focus on.  The action mode is for riding in a car or on a bike, so that should help as well.

Nikon makes a couple of nice 50mm lenses in either 1.4 or 1.8...both are excellent and not all that expensive for Nikon glass.

The SB900 is an awesome flash unit, plus you can use the on board flash as a commander and the SB900 as a wireless slave, with all controls in camera operating everything in iTTL.  If you really want to get creative with flash, get an SB600 (cheaper), as a yet another light source which will also operate wirelessly.

A couple of other things you might want to take a look at:  http://www.upstrap-pro.com/   Very grippy shoulder strap...it will NOT slip off your shoulder when walking around with the camera...get the quick detach model for when you don't want the stap on there.  Also:  http://www.ultimatebouncecard.com/   I know you got some stuff with the SB900, but this bounce is really easy to use and packs flat.

Sample of SB600 with this bounce card...flash compensation -2.  18-200 VR lens.  Tough lighting situation.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »

Strap looks great!

I already am eyeing the new (and cheap at $199) Nikon F1.8 35mm lens that nobody has in stock.

/Bill

Just got the 35mm F1.8 in the mail yesterday...too late for our western trip but now am really thinking I need an ultra wide angle also...so the Nikon 10-24 is topping the chart...but I have spent a lot recently and may have to wait...or just not tell Anne that it is new but part of the original purchase...and damn...the D300S is just coming out...but I do not need a second camera ...yet...

/Bill

.  Add the new Nikon 10-24 DX and you've got everything in the world covered,
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:24:51 AM by WFP »

MrBKBiker

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

I have a Canon EOS 20D, and take this on trips.  (Have a Sony DSC T-90 on RAM mount while traveling).

I am planing on a upgrade to Canon EOS 5D Mark II full frame, only thing that has made me
hold off is none of my EFS lens will work on the 5D! $$$$$ :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.