Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Zumo 660  (Read 5565 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Zumo 660
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

Thanks Mike.  A .6875 hole....  In the painted inner fairing.  Just thinking about that makes my knees go all wobbly.  Do think I'd prefer that mount to the handlebar mount though.  Not sure if I'm that brave though.

Don now you are getting way tooooo technical for me. Remember I am just a dumb Ole Firemann. Actually I used a 5/8 bit with a turned down shaft that fit my air drill. A center punch to get me in the right spot and waaalaaa. I like the looks and the fit. They are calling for some weather north of here so we will see just how weather resistant the install is.

I actually thought about the handle bar mount. It is now a painted item from the MOCO. So I need to replace my inner this winter anyway, so if I did not like it I can change it then.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:26:24 AM »

Cool any reason why the 660 vs the 550? I'm trying to decide myself which. Where can I get a good deal?

Thanks

I was going to go with the 450. I don't think I will ever use the options on the 550 or the 660. But the price was right. I think it was 596.00 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I am going to read up on it today and see what else it will do for me. This trip will be for navigation only.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

When you return the trip if you have a moment please share a pic of the mount on the fairing.  A big honking hole drilled through the inner might not cause a heart attack if the mount looked good.
That's not going to help me with a sharknose!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »

Remember the first Garmin Quest for Harley's and the fairing mount?? I installed one of those for the 04 Pumpkin back in 04 and thought it was a clean install. Then the Quest broke and Garmin and Harley came out with better units i.e. Garmin 550... Well damn it!!!! I upgraded, and now I've got three fricken holes in my inner fairing  :'( :'( :'( I wonder if i can use the same three holes for the new mount??? Na,,, Think i'll patch up, repaint and stick with the handle bar mounts...

I did see another cool option a few months ago on a Ultra in Napa. The guy drilled his E-Caddy chrome mount through the lower section of his windshield and the install actually looked very good. I've got an old wind shield to try this out on this winter on my 08... If it turns out worth braggin,, i might post some pics   :P :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:13:23 AM by sportygordy »

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

I was going to go with the 450. I don't think I will ever use the options on the 550 or the 660. But the price was right. I think it was 596.00 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I am going to read up on it today and see what else it will do for me. This trip will be for navigation only.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

It will let you make a phone call using your paired cell phone if you have an interface. J&M, Kennedy or the one and only Bomm.

JIm
Ride It Like You Are Retired

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

What are you guys thinking about the handle bar mount?  I would kind of like just to run with the Ram mount to the handle bar controls, and remove the cradle when I'm just bar hopping and don't need the Nav.

However, the motorcycle mount cradle has the bulky wires that you're stuck with. I would rather have something like the car cradle, that will work with the motorcycle mount arm, that has the cigar plug in, so that you're not stuck with a permanent mount.

Obviously this is more of a deal with the non-touring models, like my softail, but still, having that bulky mount permanent installed due tot he wiring is kind of a turn off.

Thoughts??
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »

What are you guys thinking about the handle bar mount?  I would kind of like just to run with the Ram mount to the handle bar controls, and remove the cradle when I'm just bar hopping and don't need the Nav.

However, the motorcycle mount cradle has the bulky wires that you're stuck with. I would rather have something like the car cradle, that will work with the motorcycle mount arm, that has the cigar plug in, so that you're not stuck with a permanent mount.

Obviously this is more of a deal with the non-touring models, like my softail, but still, having that bulky mount permanent installed due tot he wiring is kind of a turn off.

Thoughts??
I agree, looks like it might be worse with the 660 vs 550.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »

Finally made it home form the trip. I have to say the Zumo is pretty cool. I like it better than the 330 I have in the truck. I really do need to read up on it though, just to see what else it can do. I did think it is kinda funny it will hold your top speed for the trip. Right now the top speed is 105! I got a little excited about being out on the open road with no one around. It was a good road trip and I had a good time till I had to stop and put on my rain gear. I was about 2 hours from home so it was not that bad.

Pics of the install tomorrow night if I don't forget.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »

Finally made it home form the trip. I have to say the Zumo is pretty cool. I like it better than the 330 I have in the truck. I really do need to read up on it though, just to see what else it can do. I did think it is kinda funny it will hold your top speed for the trip. Right now the top speed is 105! I got a little excited about being out on the open road with no one around. It was a good road trip and I had a good time till I had to stop and put on my rain gear. I was about 2 hours from home so it was not that bad.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Glad you enjoyed the ride and the new GPS Mike.  You're not sweet enough to melt in the rain either.  So no worries. :drink:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the ride and the new GPS Mike.  You're not sweet enough to melt in the rain either.  So no worries. :drink:

Don just didn't want to wash the Dickel out of my pores! :orange:

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »

True.... but he might float. :oops: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG
DAWG
Where are the Pics?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »

Friday I will get a few posted. I just did the update on the unit can't wait till tomorrow I am going to use it going to work.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 10:44:31 AM »

Just installed my new 660 and found a few facts to share;

1. Harley's handlebar mount kit comes with the wrong RAM ball in the box. They send it out with a RAM ball that has a 1/4 - 20 threaded stud and a 3/8 - 16 lock nut. The 1/4-20 ball does not even stick out enough for any nut to grab hold once on the mount plate. So, I had to order a correct ball from Cyclegadgets.com

2. The mount plate, even with the spacers and a couple extra washers, will still contact the clutch housing. You would have to heat the mount plate and bend it in a vice to make it not hit the clutch resevoir. Not an option, it's going back to Harley

I ended up using my old chrome TechMount to keep it on the bars
AMA Life Member
2009 CVO Ultra in Twilight Blue & Silver
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.