Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HID and visibility ?  (Read 940 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
HID and visibility ?
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:54 AM »

I installed an HID bulb setup in my lowbeam of the SESG a couple of days ago.  After installing, I tested it on the driveway and looking up and down the dark road and it really did provide a lot more light to the front of the bike.

However, I finally was able to ride with it last night for a little while and noticed a couple of things.  First, since the HID beam is so flat, there appears to be a lot more jerking motion of the light...so if you go to a dip in the road, you actually seem to lose visibility at the top of the next crest...and I am not talking mountains, just an average road.  Second, in a basic curve in the road (not the dragon) I feel that I also do not have as much light looking through the corner....Not that I can explain this well but if you have a flat beam and you are leaning right, the light is not shining well around the corner but mor splashing the road immediately in front of you.

Do any others notice this?  Is it just something I will have to get used to? 

I am sure passing lamps would help but I don't want to add them to the SESG.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: HID and visibility ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »

bill after adding HID to the serk, i found i use the passing lamps at night to help fill in the edges
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »

Bill, yours sounds at least partially similar to what mine was like right after its installation but before the housing was adjusted up.  The break line on the HIDs is flatter, and lower.  I had to adjust the housing way (way) up to get it where it worked well. 

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:49:02 AM »

Bill, yours sounds at least partially similar to what mine was like right after its installation but before the housing was adjusted up.  The break line on the HIDs is flatter, and lower.  I had to adjust the housing way (way) up to get it where it worked well. 

Will crank it up a little further to see if this helps.

bill after adding HID to the serk, i found i use the passing lamps at night to help fill in the edges

I really don't want to add them but I really like to see around a turn at night especially with all the critters this time of year!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »

I really don't want to add them but I really like to see around a turn at night especially with all the critters this time of year!

Bill, on the red bike and on at least two others I've added HID lights to around here the spots haven't been a big deal once the headlight was adjusted up properly.  The low beam reflector in that dual bulb housing is a relatively wide pattern.  The red bike obviously has the spot lights so I could compare with and without with only the touch of the switch.  The other two I'm thinking of were Road Kings that didn't even have the lights.  They were fine going down the road.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.