Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Abby's Engine  (Read 20463 times)

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
Abby's Engine
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »

Enough is enough, my evo has vibrated for a year and we finally ran out of ideas on how to solve the problem. Our last ditch effort has resulted in removing the engine. Sending jugs to be bored, new pistons, sending case, crank and pistons to Truitt and Osborn to balance the crank and install new bearings. While we have it apart a new and better cam may be in order. Our mechanic mentioned Andrews EV23. Comments about the cam anyone? Hopefully the bike will be back together within 4 to 5 weeks. Texas still has great riding this time of year. Hope all of this effort and money solve the problem once and for all.

Abby and Plasmaman

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Abby's Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »

Damn Leanne, you aren't having much luck with that motor. Why not check out HD's rebuilding program, and have it factory rebuilt. They build it back to stock, but it's prolly the best rebuild you can get, and it's fairly reasonable in price. Something to consider! ;)

HD Engine Remanufacturing

HD Engine Remanufacturing Options and Pricing

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »

Hi Leanne,

With your FXRs gearing, the EV27 would be a nice choice also...
Not sure 'what's up' with the vibration problem....on FXR bikes the vibes usually creep up on you, you wonder if it's your imagination at first.
Generally cured with a change-out of the stabilizers, and swingarm rubbers/spacers, followed by a powertrain alignment.
Besides wheel balance, have you checked for an 'out of round' tire/wheel?.......do this with a dial indicator.
Good luck......
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »

Thanks Hoist and Lucille for your input. We elected to go with our local mechanic and Plasmaman will do a lot of the work cause it's fun and also save a little money. Over the past few months we received several suggestions to try and try we did with no luck. This engine kept changing, sometimes smoother and sometimes put your feet to sleep. It was for certain in the engine and not the frame. We have new motor mounts, new tires, check runout on alternator, check clutch, did a valve job and new rings, etc so with 33K on the engine Abby wanted a rebuild and add the better cam. She thinks she can keep up with my modified sportster but it ain't gonna happen. Anyway, cylinders back on Tuesday and ship the crank and pistons to Wichita KS for balance. Then we take all of the parts we can find and put it back together. Thanks for trying to help and ride safe.

Plasmaman

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:14 PM »

Put a Wood W6 cam in her. She'll keep up just fine!

JW

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »

Damn Leanne, you aren't having much luck with that motor. Why not check out HD's rebuilding program, and have it factory rebuilt. They build it back to stock, but it's prolly the best rebuild you can get, and it's fairly reasonable in price. Something to consider! ;)

HD Engine Remanufacturing

HD Engine Remanufacturing Options and Pricing

Hoist,

I can't believe you are recommending a MoCo rebuild for an 80" Evo! You know there are far better options out there that will still offer stock-like reliability and durability.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:11:48 AM »

Hoist,

I can't believe you are recommending a MoCo rebuild for an 80" Evo! You know there are far better options out there that will still offer stock-like reliability and durability.

I thought she'd be gun shy of home-builts after all the grief she went thru with this motor is all. I'd go the building one route myself. But the stock Evo rebuild program isn't a bad deal if you like stock performance. ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

I thought she'd be gun shy of home-builts after all the grief she went thru with this motor is all. I'd go the building one route myself. But the stock Evo rebuild program isn't a bad deal if you like stock performance. ;)

If they would allow you to do the labor yourself, the remanufacture program wouldn't be a bad deal. They even offer a new All Black Option (PN:16007-99A) for $1756 at Chicago HD. Just gotta find a stealer willing to do an exchange without the labor.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:32:43 PM »

Hoist,

If they would allow you to do the labor yourself, the remanufacture program wouldn't be a bad deal. They even offer a new All Black Option (PN:16007-99A) for $1756 at Chicago HD. Just gotta find a stealer willing to do an exchange without the labor.

Consider that along with the reconditioning, damaged/unusable cores are replaced at no additional charge; cases, heads and cylinders get a fresh powdercoat; chrome pieces are replaced with new; comes with a 1 year, nationwide warranty. The cost/value is extremely strong with the Factory recon engine.

It may be possible to swap one without the Dealer R&R; although you would probably lose the warranty.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »

Well guys, it's a done deal. Jugs now bored 20k over with new pistons, rings, pins. Engine lower unit on the way to Wichita KS for crank balance, new bearings, etc. Hotter cam ordered along with gasket kits as required. We had already done the heads and will just do some polishing. Will let you know total cost involved when this project is completed. Keep in mind that Mike and our mechanic are doing disassembly and reassembly of the bike here at home. We will pay the bike shop to assemble the engine to the point it is ready to install. We just decided that we wanted to retain the original engine and hoped that the cost would be about the same as buying a Harley rebuild.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »

......We just decided that we wanted to retain the original engine and hoped that the cost would be about the same as buying a Harley rebuild.

It read like you had already committed to a course of action; I’m just trying to keep my keyboarding skills current.

With H-D’s remanufactured engines, you keep your original engine number, even if the crankcase is replaced; unlike when purchasing a new “off the shelf” engine.

Good luck with your project.  :2vrolijk_21:

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »

Salt in the wound. Word from Kansas was that the crankshaft was not bad but one of the rods did need attention. Most likely the lower end was not causing the vibration but we went ahead and had it totally rebuilt and balanced. The container with engine arrived today. I had built an angle iron frame crate with plywood sides to protect the engine in shipment. The engine was bolted to an engine stand and the stand bolted to the floor of the crate. All four sides and the top clearly marked "THIS END UP". Well, as Abby's bad luck would have it, UPS dropped the crate from considerable height and hit on the crank end. A large dent is in the top of the block and another damaged the primary face. One piston crushed. The engine hit hard enough to rip the plywood floor with engine attached loose and was lying on its side in the crate. So, now we fight with UPS and send the engine back to Kansas to be balanced and damage repaired. This really sucks and as you would expect, Abbynormal is livid.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »

YGBFKM!   :o :o :o

chite!  Sorry to hear of the troubles....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »

Salt in the wound. Word from Kansas was that the crankshaft was not bad but one of the rods did need attention. Most likely the lower end was not causing the vibration but we went ahead and had it totally rebuilt and balanced. The container with engine arrived today. I had built an angle iron frame crate with plywood sides to protect the engine in shipment. The engine was bolted to an engine stand and the stand bolted to the floor of the crate. All four sides and the top clearly marked "THIS END UP". Well, as Abby's bad luck would have it, UPS dropped the crate from considerable height and hit on the crank end. A large dent is in the top of the block and another damaged the primary face. One piston crushed. The engine hit hard enough to rip the plywood floor with engine attached loose and was lying on its side in the crate. So, now we fight with UPS and send the engine back to Kansas to be balanced and damage repaired. This really sucks and as you would expect, Abbynormal is livid.
Wow!!! That sucks!!!! :bigcry:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 03:44:01 PM »

Holy crap! That's terrible! So sorry to read this! Not what we wanted to hear of course! I hope you don't get screwed around by them, and can get her motor back from them in a timely fashion. And of course, at no additional cost to you. Good luck! >:(

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.