Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley Buyout  (Read 3560 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Harley Buyout
« on: March 16, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »

Harley shares up 8%, volume high on buyout speculation
By Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel

Updated: March 16, 2010 2:16 p.m. |(27) Comments

Harley-Davidson Inc. shares were up 8% Tuesday afternoon after speculation that the company was the potential target of a leveraged buyout.

Trading volume was extremely heavy. As of mid-afternoon, more than 13.6 million shares had traded hands, compared with an average daily trading volume of about 3.3 million shares.

Harley officials would not comment on the speculation that private equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts was the potential bidder for the motorcycle company.

KKR also declined to comment, according to the news agency Reuters.

"Just like many other stocks in the last few weeks, Harley-Davidson is popping on leveraged buyout rumors. On Friday it was Supervalu, today it is Harley," Reuters quoted Jud Pyle, chief investment strategist at Options Network, as saying.

The "TAZMUN"

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: Harley Buyout
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »

Jeeze. Pay the new guy 6.5 million and then some one is about to buy the company.  Am I conspiracy freak or is this a bit suspect?  :'(

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »

J-Carr I think your right on the money with that speculation. :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »

Craig Kennison, an analyst covering Harley Davidson with Milwaukee-based Robert W. Baird & Co. Inc., said today’s speculation seemed to be based on rumors.
He said Harley shareholders would likely be “enormously disappointed” with a $27 or $28 per share price. Harley’s stock peaked at $75.87 per share in November 2006.
“I am one that sees a significant amount of value (in Harley) that the market does not appreciate,” Kennison said. “I wouldn’t be shocked if others saw a tremendous value in Harley Davidson. We’re close to the bottom of the cycle for Harley. Management has been at the forefront of some meaningful changes and the company has not yet seen the fruits of those changes. I would be surprised to see a sale at that price when there is so much that’s left on the table.”
The cost cutting measures that Harley has made in recent years, including plant closures and layoffs, will make the company more profitable when the economy and sales rebound, Kennison said.
“We’re at the beginning of the cycle, and I think investors have reason to be optimistic about the turnaround that (Keith) Wandell (Harley’s CEO) is leading,” he said.

My thoughts
I bought my Harley SERG because I like the whole Harley Davidson concept/idea package. I'm rooting for their survival!

Don't care to see "Hawng Davidson" the Chinese owned motorcycle company. There's a lot of value in the name but where and how it's built should matter as well.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:14:38 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »

Craig Kennison, an analyst covering Harley Davidson with Milwaukee-based Robert W. Baird & Co. Inc., said today’s speculation seemed to be based on rumors.
He said Harley shareholders would likely be “enormously disappointed” with a $27 or $28 per share price. Harley’s stock peaked at $75.87 per share in November 2006.
“I am one that sees a significant amount of value (in Harley) that the market does not appreciate,” Kennison said. “I wouldn’t be shocked if others saw a tremendous value in Harley Davidson. We’re close to the bottom of the cycle for Harley. Management has been at the forefront of some meaningful changes and the company has not yet seen the fruits of those changes. I would be surprised to see a sale at that price when there is so much that’s left on the table.”
The cost cutting measures that Harley has made in recent years, including plant closures and layoffs, will make the company more profitable when the economy and sales rebound, Kennison said.
“We’re at the beginning of the cycle, and I think investors have reason to be optimistic about the turnaround that (Keith) Wandell (Harley’s CEO) is leading,” he said.

My thoughts
I bought my Harley SERG because I like the whole Harley Davidson concept/idea package. I'm rooting for their survival!

Don't care to see "Hawng Davidson" the Chinese owned motorcycle company. There's a lot of value in the name but where and how it's built should matter as well.
I agree with your value, HOWEVER, the days of "Cheap credit" are over. Chasing women and and young people are not going to improve sales. You NEED products that are "what young people want", at a price they can afford.
Harley has not done that yet. I believe it will be many years before that happens.
Hope they can hold on till then!
The "TAZMUN"

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »

Jeeze. Pay the new guy 6.5 million and then some one is about to buy the company.  Am I conspiracy freak or is this a bit suspect?  :'(

Ride Safe,
J-Carr
I'll 2nd that notion !     :coolblue:

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
Will KKR Take Harley-Davidson for a Ride?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »

In a way, speculation that Harley-Davidson (HOG) might be the object of a leveraged buyout is the best news the company has received in seven quarters of below-expectations results. If the speculation is true, a buyout would show that at least someone -- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, also known as KKR, according to the rumors -- believes Harley's fortunes have bottomed out and the company still has a chance to recover. Investors reacted with favor to the notion, pushing the stock up more than 8% in today's trading.

What could KKR be seeing that the market didn't? After all, Harley reported its first quarterly loss in 16 years for the fourth quarter of 2009 due to continued restructuring and slack sales. New U.S. Harley registrations have fallen from 251,400 in 2007 to 162,000 in 2009.

But from KKR's perspective, Harley also might be a company that's finally taking the necessary steps to streamline its operations. Harley is closing a number of manufacturing and test facilities around the country, including some in its home state of Wisconsin. It has dumped minor brands MV Augusta and Buell. It has taken a huge hit in its financial services sector, absorbing bad loans and dealing with tight credit, while still managing to finance almost half of the Harleys bought in 2009. The company closed 28 of the weakest dealerships in 2009 and reduced the number of unsold units sitting on the showroom floor.

Will Bikers Rebel?

And most important, the value of the Harley-Davidson brand hasn't been too badly tarnished, although the low value of used bikes is a continuing concern. For a stock that sold for almost $75 per share less than four years ago, the roughly $27-per-share might just tempt some company to take Harley for a ride.

What will motorcyclists think? The last time the company was in hands other than the current ownership, it was owned by AMF, a company best known, at the time, for bowling equipment. It cut costs and quality, and virtually drove the brand into a wall. Harley was finally rescued by a group including descendants of the founders, and it took them years to restore the reputation of a brand that had become as well-known for leaking oil as highway attitude.

If this deal is for real, KKR will need to take measures to reassure the Harley nation that the brand's quality and aesthetics will remain unscathed. The most tempting cost-cutting measure, off-shoring, would be hard pill for devotees to swallow.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/a2uGRu
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:33 AM »

KKR's rep is to break up not operate.
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »

KKR's rep is to break up not operate.

Quite true.  KKR bought the company where i USED TO work... :nixweiss:  They bought the company where my neighbor worked as well.  Now we both have a lot of time on our hands...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

TangleEyes

• Misplaced Texan

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »

Quite true.  KKR bought the company where i USED TO work... :nixweiss:  They bought the company where my neighbor worked as well.  Now we both have a lot of time on our hands...

Maybe I'm pissing in the wind, but anyone think KKR wouldn't have second thoughts on breaking up and destroying an American born icon like Harley? It may have to come down to just how many in the KKR brass have something resembling scruples. Although scruples are something disappearing these days.  :nixweiss:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »

Maybe I'm pissing in the wind, but anyone think KKR wouldn't have second thoughts on breaking up and destroying an American born icon like Harley? It may have to come down to just how many in the KKR brass have something resembling scruples. Although scruples are something disappearing these days.  :nixweiss:
They're not in it for 'scruples'.....strictly bizness.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »

They're not in it for 'scruples'.....strictly bizness.  har.  spyder
I think you are 100% correct
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:52 PM »

Private equity firms never buy out anything to run it.  That's not their mode of operation.  They take over a company, break it up and sell off the pieces for a profit...that's all they're in the business for.  If KKR takes over the MoCo, it could be the end of an era...they could care less about brand or being an American icon...that all comes second to making a profit.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »

And the museum becomes even more important/relevent to the family business.  ??? spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »

Bottom line is that a company is a line on a spreadsheet to firms like KKR.  All about cash flow and P&L.  They could care less about the company itself.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.