Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rinehart Exhaust Install  (Read 5210 times)

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
Rinehart Exhaust Install
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »

I bought a set of Rinehart Staggered pipes on e bay. I am semi capable of working on cars but this is new area for me. Is there anything complicated doing this change? I have a pair of Rush slipons already installed and A SE Race Tuner. I hate the Rush pipes they gotta go. I am a little concerned dealing with the O2 sensors. Any help is appreciated.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Rinehart Exhaust Install
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »

Should be a piece of cake.

If you remove the sensors before you remove your stock pipes you will need an 02 sensor socket that can be purchased at about any auto parts store. Check the size but I believe it to be 7/8". Unplug the sensors and remove them. Make sure the threads are clean for the sensors on the new head pipe before installing them, they will cross thread easily. Put a little anti-seize on the 02 threads and install them on the pipes first. This may save you a busted knuckle over trying to install them when the pipes are on the bike.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to leave the sensor attached to the old pipe and just unplug the wire  and then remove the sensor on the bench and replace it in the new pipe? I can't see a way to unplug it

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »

Each sensor has a pony tail that is about 12" to 14" long. Start at the sensor and trace the wire back. You will find a plug connection, pull the rubber locking tab back and separate the male and female connectors. The front cylinder 02 sensor plug is hidden behind the voltage regulator. You will need to remove the regulator to get to it. The back cylinder plug is located behind the oil tank. You will need to remove the seat and maybe remove the battery to find the connector.

Unless you are willing to tear the bike apart to get to the 02 sensor plugs and unplug them both, it will be impossible to remove the exhaust header to the bench with the sensors in the pipe. There is a crossover pipe joining both the front and rear head pipes that will not allow you to remove one pipe at a time, in theory you can but it's a real b*tch. So, you should unscrew both sensors to remove the head pipe as an assembly. This will save you hours of time and a few busted knuckles.

It is easier to purchase the 02 sensor tool (about 10 bucks), remove the sensors then the remove the head pipes. This tool looks like a spark plug socket with a open slot down the side for the wiring.

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »

Thanks for the info. Gave the bike a good look over the rest of the replacement seems pretty clear. The pipes will be here in about a week. Anybody want a pair of Rush slipons with 900 miles on them ?? Cheap

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »

Thanks for the info. Gave the bike a good look over the rest of the replacement seems pretty clear. The pipes will be here in about a week. Anybody want a pair of Rush slipons with 900 miles on them ?? Cheap

They will fit more bikes than just the ConV. You can visit their website and see they fit most all newer model softails except for the crossbones and the Nostalgic Deluxe.

Not to beat a dead horse or meaning any disrespect to Rush... what is it about Rush that seems so unpopular to the ConV owners? 

Too loud
Tinny sound
Cheaply made
Expensive heat shields

???

Just curious to see what everyone else has on their mind besides their hat.

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »

I just didn't care for the sound. They look good and the performance was good after I had the Race Tuner done, but i just wanted something else.

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »

Installed the pipes tonight. Went pretty easy. The rear sensor was a pain, the connection is behind the oil tank but you can get to it from under the bike. It was easier to have the sensors still attached to the old pipes than to try and get them out while still on the bike, Also the rear sensor so so friggin tight I don't think a socket could have broken it loose. The Rineharts are awesome.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:26:33 PM »

Glad you found that rear connection... without finding it your job would have been a real bear for sure.

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53:48 AM »

Dood2, post some pics when you get a chance.
Live To Win!

Felos

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »

The rear cylinder header pipe cracked around the "L" shaped mounting tab on my '05 FLHTCSE2.  I sent an email to Reinhart and explained that I was the second owner of this cycle and it had 25000 miles on it.  I heard nothing from Reinhart and really didn't expect to.  I had the pipe welded up and forgot about it.  A package arrived about three weeks later with a new header pipe with a new "band" style mount.  There was no invoice and no correspondence.  I am impressed with their customer service and the sound. 

HD Rider

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »

Nice job, Dood2.  Glad this worked out for you.  Enjoy the ride!
HD Rider

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.