Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Saddlebags  (Read 11911 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Saddlebags
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »

The ease of the bag install is pretty much dependent on the alignment of the front support bar. If the bar is bent or off angle with the disconnect knuckle then the bags are difficult to slide forward the last 1/8 of an inch into the locked position.

To adjust the front support knuckle simply loosen your passenger pegs which will allow the support knuckle to be moved. Install the bags and tighten the passenger pegs.

Unfortunately to loosen your pegs will mean that you must remove the pegs from the peg bracket. If they are double washered to keep them from vibrating down then you're going to have a tough time getting them back on. So, I used a rubber mallet to bump the disconnect knuckle arm up and down. The bags now go on easily which makes using the locking mechanism a breeze.

Pilot... 10-4 on no room. We got one of the newly released Harley travel bags and got the riders backrest pad for it. Now the wifey can haul more when on a trip and have back support for long distance riding. Unfortunately it rests on the passenger seat and sissy bar so even if you had an extra helmet there would be no place for the passenger to sit!   :nixweiss:

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »

Pilot... 10-4 on no room. We got one of the newly released Harley travel bags and got the riders backrest pad for it. Now the wifey can haul more when on a trip and have back support for long distance riding. Unfortunately it rests on the passenger seat and sissy bar so even if you had an extra helmet there would be no place for the passenger to sit!   :nixweiss:

I'd like to see a couple pix of this setup.... Sounds good!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:07:37 PM by CVOpilot »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »

Only Pic I have

bosshogg69

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »

Mr.Wizard, What model bag did you buy? Is it the rolling style? My wife is looking for this type of set up for her Conv.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 06:34:34 AM »

All this cuz our womens gotta bring sooooooooo much crap. :huepfenlol2:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 01:53:39 AM »

newbie to this board, but not to riding, or to harleys. Bag coming off happened to me today on a five lane highway.  I hit a pretty big bump in the road and my right side bag went flying across several lanes of traffic.  Cars were swerving everywhere, it could have been very ugly but fortunately no other accidents were caused by my bag.  The left bag came loose as well but I was able to reach back and grab it with my clutch hand and exit the highway.  I know both these bags were secure before I left.  This seems to be happening pretty frequently for the number of these bikes on the road.  Have any of the previous posters had any resolution from the mo co?

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

Are we saying that the bags falling 2011 also?
Are these bangs locked in?
Are the 2011 $1400 to replace
I would put on the Hard bags if they are that much
I am going to look to install a safety lock or tie to the support  to stop the uglyness
I had my knee operated  this past week so I am stuck in doors
I guess thats why I am doing so many posts on harley sights( at least for me)
Something tells me that strap for passenger could be hooked to back of driver seat to the carry strap on bag????
We need a a saftey bolt/strap or pin

Mike

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »

yes, mine was a 2011 ConV, and yes the bags were locked.  Bike was brand new, only 250 miles logged.  I have not looked into replacement costs yet, I want to talk to the mo co on Monday.  Something tells me that they will say that this is the first time they have ever heard of a problem!

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

Went on a HD dealership free ride last weekend.  a guy who bought a 2011 Conv the day before was at the front of the group when the right bag came off.   Luckily everyone missed the bag flipping through the bikes at speed.  He told me that the sales folks were showing him how the bags came off and on before the ride.   

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

i started to get around with the knee alittle today what  I did find if you take the carry strap behind the bag
and loop it through the sissy bar it wiil hold the bag from falling to the  ground if the lock pin comes out
Thaught it may be a temp repair to save a bag
Still not sure with that rod flopping aroud  hitting the wheel???
Use tip at your own risk         
Mike

GordieHM

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

When you lock the bags on, are you sure the pin is popped into place.  :-\
The left bag is always a little tricky to lock in.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:53:34 PM by GordieHM »

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

back on the 24th of march i commented on this, getting the three positions lined up is a little tricky, and i have done it many times and yesterday took the bags off to clean and it was still a fiddle.
easy to get two positions in but yo must pull on each one just to make sure,

i find the front fairing the hardest to get on

chywy

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »

My right bag goes on and locks slick as a whistle.  My left one needs a firm "smack" with my hand to drive the mechanism home.  The left one was originally almost impossible to remove as whoever handled the bag last got things misaligned and jammed it so bad I had to replace the spacers at the dealership.  What I consider a deficiency on the part of the moco is the fact the bags are 33% less usable space than stock bags on the Heritage.  Look behind your bags and tell me what is occupying all that extra space back there??? Air!  Think of all the space back there that could have been incorporated into the saddle bag!  My immediate thought was that the bags were really not custom built for this bike.  Must have been custom made for something else and somebody thought, "Gee, we could use them on this bike at $545 (???) per !   A shame.  I would love riding down the road with some real "stuff" in the bags on this bike.   Pork

I find myself having to do the same thing.  Royal pain - and I figure if I've got to hit something to get it to work - something isnt't right.  As far as the bags coming off - I wonder if weight in the ebag becomes an issue or part of the equation.  You can't help notice the waring not to put more than 10 lbs in the bag, which makes the bags worthless except to carrying a few cleaning supplies and rags.  I'll check out the solution that was posted to re-adjust the fittings.

chywy

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »

Pork,

Here's how to fix that sticky left bag: Loosen the 3 bolts that hold on the lower mounting bracket and put the bag on the bike. Tighten them up once the bag is on the bike and fully in place. It will operate as smoothly as the right one. I found that out after I replaced the arm that got bent when the bag took a tumble.

MikeV

Thanks for the tip,
CHYWY
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.