Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progessive's 412 Shocks not really working out...  (Read 1260 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Progessive's 412 Shocks not really working out...
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »

Still trying to get the 2010 FLHTK lowered to where I can comfortably back the bike up.  I have no troubles flat footing, however due to my short inseam, backing the bike up even on the slightest grade can be a challenge.

I went ahead and removed the stock 13" HD shocks and installed a set of Progressive's 11.5" 412 shocks.  I must say that they are one stiff ride...  Bumps or bad road surfaces at Hwy speeds can be brutal...  I realize that going with a shorter shock will reduce the overall travel and the ride may be comprimized... I've tried adjusting the preload, but it doesn't seem to matter where I set it, the ride seems the same.  I'm 160 lbs and very rarely carry a passenger or heavy weight...  The TP is detachable and I rarely ride with it.

Just curious to hear from those with shorter inseams (29") as to what shock in the rear works better...  I was considering Progressive's 440 or 940 shocks but don't want to gamble $$$ without getting clear feedback from those of similar size/stature...

Can lowering the front springs make that big of a difference.? I've read mixed reviews as to whether lowering the front really works...  It's a bunch of $$$ to find out that the result was marginal...

My Corbin solo w/ shaved sides really helped a bunch.  Just one last piece of the puzzle to fix...  what shocks will perform and fit the best...

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Progessive's 412 Shocks not really working out...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »

I have the Legend's on mine but to do it again I would use the Arnott's as the compressor works much faster up and down. The Legends are very slow to go up and they are almost twice the price of the Arnott's.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »

Still trying to get the 2010 FLHTK lowered to where I can comfortably back the bike up.  I have no troubles flat footing, however due to my short inseam, backing the bike up even on the slightest grade can be a challenge.

I went ahead and removed the stock 13" HD shocks and installed a set of Progressive's 11.5" 412 shocks.  I must say that they are one stiff ride...  Bumps or bad road surfaces at Hwy speeds can be brutal...  I realize that going with a shorter shock will reduce the overall travel and the ride may be comprimized... I've tried adjusting the preload, but it doesn't seem to matter where I set it, the ride seems the same.  I'm 160 lbs and very rarely carry a passenger or heavy weight...  The TP is detachable and I rarely ride with it.

Just curious to hear from those with shorter inseams (29") as to what shock in the rear works better...  I was considering Progressive's 440 or 940 shocks but don't want to gamble $$$ without getting clear feedback from those of similar size/stature...

Can lowering the front springs make that big of a difference.? I've read mixed reviews as to whether lowering the front really works...  It's a bunch of $$$ to find out that the result was marginal...

My Corbin solo w/ shaved sides really helped a bunch.  Just one last piece of the puzzle to fix...  what shocks will perform and fit the best...

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I have Progressive 440 on one of my bikes, usually ridden solo and they work great.
I have Works on my FLHTK one inch shorter, great ride.
The newer bike is my "road bike" and we ride 2-up, loaded most of the time, and the shocks were custom built for that load.
I would recommend the 12" shocks, lowered forks, lower seat and you will probably be fine. JMHO
Picture is of the 440's on the 2010 before I installed the Works.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:49:35 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »

Here's the Works shocks
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »

I'm similarly vertically challenged, and I've found that the best approach is to do everything possible with the seat and with your riding gear to improve the situation first.  The very last thing to consider should be shorter shocks, because as you've found they have shorter travel and thus tend to be harsher.  Sure, you can buy very expensive custom made shocks that might work better than the off-the-shelf Progressives, or even more expensive air systems with onboard compressors, or you could even spend a ton on a reverse gear setup I suppose.  I managed to solve my problem with a new pair of boots when the local dealer had a sale, less than $100.

What kind of riding boots do you wear?  I found that switching from my previous brand of boots, with a relatively thin heel and sole, to a pair of Harley boots with a very thick heel and sole, made a world of difference in backing the bike.  I hated parking at the pizza joint Momma and I used to frequent because the spaces all had a slight slope toward the curb, and when combined with the inevitable loose pebbles and sand it was almost impossible to back out.  First fix was to back into the space so I could just ride straight out, but after buying a better pair of boots I could do it either way. 

Just a thought. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »

Hey Jerry thanks for the comments. And I agree completely with your assessment...

I've got the SWAT boots and I'll never give these babies up...  they're simply the best! So thicker soles will be a last resort.

However, I did attack the seat issue and at the end of the day, I could survive with HD's 13" shocks...  but I was just trying to see if there was a decent alternative. Even a set of 12" may be better than what I have now.

I did put a set of Arnotts on my wifes SG and she loves it.  I may wind up going that route when it's all over.  We'll see...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »

I'm with you on those Original Swat boots.....I'll die in em before I give them up.

Sorry to hear about your problems there Matt.  You know how tall I am and I have a problem backing my SESG (compared to my SEEG) on even the slightest grade.  They're just a heavier bike and even the slightest grade, I'm backing in. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »

For the "vertically challenged":

http://www.tabortrikesusa.com/reverse_gear.html

JUST KIDDING

Nice chat with you, Matt......good luck in your search.

HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.