Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will this Derby Cover work?  (Read 625 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Will this Derby Cover work?
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »

I've got an '09 and although it says it fits all twin cams, they are definitely different on the inside.  In the photos, the left is the stock one and the right is the aftermarket.  On the stock cover, there is a groove for the orange rubber seal to fit in.  They recommend a gasket 25416-99C with all of the Harley covers for 07-up.  I'm wondering if that's the flat gasket like the older ones and the Harley covers are just like the one I just purchased.  I'm assuming that the flat gasket will work.  Anyone know?

I just got off the phone with HDBrad03 and he thinks the gasket will do the trick for me...but I figured I'd finish the post since I was ready to hit Post.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Will this Derby Cover work?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »

The big o-ring was superceded by the gasket.  It has a built in ring that rides where the o-ring did.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Will this Derby Cover work?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »

The big o-ring was superceded by the gasket.  It has a built in ring that rides where the o-ring did.

Thanks Don.  So, from what you're saying, it sounds like this should work for me.  I'm guessing that redesigning the gasket with the o-ring attached makes for a better seal than either one by itself, and then they didn't have to make new covers with the groove for the newer models.  I'm also guessing that I don't need to have the groove then.

I did notice that this new cover is slightly smaller in diameter than stock.  The bolt holes still line up perfectly, but it won't be a tight fit.  It's probably less than 1/16th inch smaller...maybe 1/32 inch.  I don't think that looks like a problem, unless the gasket extends beyond the edge and then I'd be able to see it in the small gap around the circumference.  I'll take the cover with me to buy the gasket and find out real quick if that will be an issue.  If it is a problem, it only takes a few minutes to stick the stock one back on and I'll return the cover. 

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.