Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: need more hp  (Read 3007 times)

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
Re: need more hp
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 10:20:20 PM »

Thumper:

Don't know where you are (East or West Coast). In 2004 Brad Yuill at Freedom Cycle in Reno reworked my SE heads added cams and ported the throttle body. We used the stock pistons.We decked the heads and used cometic .030's for 10:1 straight up (no comp. releases necessary). The bike had Freedom Pipes and a PCIII. We ran a real flat torque curve peaked at 122 and hp was 118 with the rev limiter at 5800, (could have been >120 with a 6200 limiter). Since then he has seen even better results with other SEEG's.

[highlight]The problem isn't really with the stock pistons[/highlight], it's just that the cylinder boring on most stock motors is out of round and while matching pistons and combustion chambers is certainly the proper and best procedure, it isn't mandatory. Now having said that, we did go back through this motor when I rounded up summo cash and bored the cylinders and [highlight]put in forged pistons[/highlight].

Hubbard is absolutely correct though when he says that you can get some significant gains with air flow, exhaust and mapping.

Glad to hear you didn't stick with the stock cast pistons.  I've heard many times and have seen the issues that can arise with cast pistons not being able to take the heat and stress of higher compression and revs with this setup.  Forged are the way to go.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 07:06:49 PM »

You'd be surprised at how many AHDRA bikes are running cast pistons. They're not a problem. Every Harley comes with em and plenty go unmodified. The only reason I switched was because of the out of round issue.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »

Thumper:

I'd give Hubbard's builder a try. He sounds like he's a good one! Bob Wood is a good source to talk to re; power. He's real accessible to. Woods Performance

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 07:23:56 PM »

Thumper:

Don't know where you are (East or West Coast). In 2004 Brad Yuill at Freedom Cycle in Reno reworked my SE heads [highlight]added cams [/highlight]and ported the throttle body. We used the stock pistons.We decked the heads and used cometic .030's for 10:1 straight up (no comp. releases necessary). The bike had Freedom Pipes and a PCIII. We ran a real flat torque curve peaked at 122 and hp was 118 with the rev limiter at 5800, (could have been >120 with a 6200 limiter). Since then he has seen even better results with other SEEG's.

The problem isn't really with the stock pistons, it's just that the cylinder boring on most stock motors is out of round and while matching pistons and combustion chambers is certainly the proper and best procedure, it isn't mandatory. Now having said that, we did go back through this motor when I rounded up summo cash and bored the cylinders and put in forged pistons.

Hubbard is absolutely correct though when he says that you can get some significant gains with air flow, exhaust and mapping.

PCC,
what cams were fitted? sounds very impressive!

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
Mike
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 10:26:57 PM »

You'd be surprised at how many AHDRA bikes are running cast pistons. They're not a problem. Every Harley comes with em and plenty go unmodified. The only reason I switched was because of the out of round issue.
PCC,

I noticed in your previous post that you thought most stock cylinders are "out-of-round".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 09:50:09 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jeepster09

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Thumper007,

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »

grc:

These are cylinders in actual builds and, of course, measured properly with torque plates attached during the re-honing process.

Aussie: The cams are Freedom Cycle grind #4.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.