Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 120 Jims  is it worth it?  (Read 1122 times)

hogasm

120 Jims  is it worth it?
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »

Taking old blue to the Harley shop to fix a oil leak. They have to split the cases to fix it. They suggested having temkin bearings installed while it is apart.
My question is is it worth it to have a Jims 120 kit installed at this time? And could the jugs or the HTCC ported heads be reused on this motor with machine work done to them?

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: 120 Jims
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:22:22 PM »

Taking old blue to the Harley shop to fix a oil leak. They have to split the cases to fix it. They suggested having temkin bearings installed while it is apart.
My question is is it worth it to have a Jims 120 kit installed at this time? And could the jugs or the HTCC ported heads be reused on this motor with machine work done to them?  

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hogasm,
   I thought the JIM's 120 kit was a complete Engine, only disassembled.  Am I missing something, or are you thinking of just buying a partial kit, and having your 103 jugs, and heads brought to 120 specs. locally?  If so, I would think that to be cost prohibitive.  Personally, I'm partial to Zipper's.  But that's just me.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

hogasm

Re: 120 Jims  is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

Hubbard, just talked to the dealer. The 120 kit is available either assembled or disassembled. When the cases are split they send it to zippers to install the bearings, and if you want to increase it to a 120 then machine work is done to accept the larger crank. He is also partial to zippers over the jims motors, but warranty issues could arrise if I did not go with a jims motor, because of harley's warranty.
I was wondering what parts could be used over if the motor was made into a 120. I did find out that the jugs could not be machined to work but could not find out if the heads could be reused.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:14:05 PM »

I was wondering what parts could be used over if the motor was made into a 120.
------------------------------------------------------

You may be able to re-use the spark plugs............ :-/

Get out the cash and go for the Zipper's setup!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »

For what its worth,

If you go the route of the 120/124 kit upgrade, I would expect you to reuse the Cam support plate and the oil pump and thats about it.   New juggs, new heads, new cam, new lifters, new heavier adjustable push rods (less flex), lets not forget the roller rockers and the new fuel system to deliver your air / fuel.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.