Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the widest rear tire that anyone has put on their FXSTDSE?  (Read 9848 times)

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold

I have seen pictures of Deuces with rear tires that appear wider than mine, and what is the widest tire without changing swingarm?
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: What is the widest rear tire that anyone has put on their FXSTDSE?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »

200mm is max fender  inner struts get in the way, you still have to space sprocket out to clear tire, you need a 5.5 rim for that tire, its close, but close means it doesn't touch. you may have to remove belt guard or modify it also, its very doable, just have to be determined !

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »

What you are noticing perhaps is the 2003 had a 160 rear tire stock vs a 180 on the 2004's? I don't know, but the 180 I would think should fit, and imho, looks wide enough.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »

and to add to above post, thats what I have on mine, but I am limited due to drive side brake, but yes it fills the fender quite well

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »

Harley, what is drive side brake?? Do u have a different set up then stock?? Pictures?
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »

in this section (deuce) theres a thread "pics of my deuce" thats me. yes bI have drive side brake that puts the rotor and caliper between center hub and drive pulley, this allows a better view of the wheel, ya got a 1200.00 wheel, ya want it to show, and it makes the brake kinda disappear, theres a ton of things on my bike that don't show unless you look close, its "understated elegance"!

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 Cobalt Blue/Starlight Black
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »

I have the 180 Pirelli Night Dragon's on my '04 SED. There speed rated at 130mph. I like em.
Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »

Will a 4.5X17 Rim hold a 180? I am happy to run a 180 as opposed to a 200 4sure, I love the stock wheels that came with the bike which r 4.5"....... These bikes have such a wide fender that the 160 that's on there looks a smuge too skinny for my taste.....
       2 list....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »

Will a 4.5X17 Rim hold a 180? I am happy to run a 180 as opposed to a 200 4sure, I love the stock wheels that came with the bike which r 4.5"....... These bikes have such a wide fender that the 160 that's on there looks a smuge too skinny for my taste.....

Depends on the tire.  Some brands might tell you their 180/17 requires a 5.5" rim, others might claim their 180/17 tire will work on a 4.5" rim.  Check some tire specs first.  And don't assume just because someone else claims to have installed a particular tire on the stock rim that it was/is a good idea.  More than one person has been very sorry after mismatching rim and tire sizes.  The tire manufacturer knows what they designed their tire to fit; believe them before you believe folks on an internet forum or someone trying to sell you a particular wheel.

Try some of the tire websites, such as Dunlop, Metzeler, Pirelli, Avon, etc.  Most have a feature that lets you select your model bike and they will tell you which of their tires they recommend.  You can also look at the various tire model specifications charts that will list tire size designations, recommended rim sizes, actual dimensions of the tires, load ratings, etc.

None of my business of course, but when it comes to looking cool or being safe, I think being safe is the obvious choice.  Don't make the mistake of believing that just because Joe Blow found a way to shoehorn a particular tire onto his stock rim and then stuff it into a stock swingarm and fender, that you should follow suit.  Do your own homework and consult real experts if you aren't 100% certain.  This stuff is much more important than comparing notes on stuff like handlebars or seats.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »

Thanks for the input everybody! Jerry u r right on, and I have started looking at what I want from a different perspective. Now having looked and viewed my bike, I think the 180 is plenty wide, it is more a product of the hight of the tire, I have a 160X70 currently, the 180 in a 70 would be more of what I'm looking for. Does anyone run a taller 180 that could recommend a tire that has worked for them??
Thanks!
       2 list....

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.