Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?  (Read 15444 times)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

I get around 14 k out of a rear tire then she has that flat spot everyone thinks is ok. I toss it, even though it has a few k left. I tend to think about my safety and not the 30 bucks I can stretch out of a tire.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »

I join in the line of thinking with Dick and a few others here.....my life is worth more than another 1k miles.  As soon as it gets to the wear bar, it's replaced.....that's what the wear bar is for.

And......a quietly kept secreat......I ride a tad bit more spirited than most...on a regular basis....so I'm not about to take the additional risk of trying to squeeze a few more miles out of a tire.

I also use the transmission and down shift for control in all the twisties....that takes a toll on a tire.  But then, I've never had a warped rotor, either and my brake pads last longer.  It's all relevant my friends. :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:14:25 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »

JC
   You say you've never warped a rotor. Have you always run the free floating rotors that come standard on a CVO on all of your H-D's ? I ask because I've never warped one of those but I've warped several no floating ones. You come flying down off Mt Washington in New Hampshire or Pike's Peak etc and they heat up fast. I know you guys did some serious climbing at the Cripple Creek GTG but you had the Cherry Bomb on that run.

B B

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

Dr.D, the difference between you apparent knowledge in this post as compared to the "subthread" you started is what has me convinced my post in your subthread is correct. Keep it up Dude, I need a good daily laugh

B B

In the sub of the subthread that I started in the first thread I was confused but know I see real clear. If the threads are showin the tire ain't no good thanks for showin me this thread. :-\ ::)  :pepper:

In the future I'll try compose better material.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »

JC
   You say you've never warped a rotor. Have you always run the free floating rotors that come standard on a CVO on all of your H-D's ? I ask because I've never warped one of those but I've warped several no floating ones. You come flying down off Mt Washington in New Hampshire or Pike's Peak etc and they heat up fast. I know you guys did some serious climbing at the Cripple Creek GTG but you had the Cherry Bomb on that run.

B B

I'm in the mountains all the time.....it's over 7k feet just 80 miles up the road from me. 

While we rode Pike's Peak, that was a dirt road and used mostly gearing coming down with a feather of the brakes now and then. I ride asphalt the same way.  Been riding since the early 70s and have never had a warped rotor however, I did have one that cracked on my 86 Heritage, once.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »

Changed the front at 5500 due to cupping changed the rear at 8500 it had squared off a bit it was in for some light damage repairs (no tmy fault) so whilst it being broke down i thought i may as well .Whats a couple of thousand miles difference gonna make ?DO IT

Someone i know went on a 2000m trip with a rear tyre you could see where the tread used to be (shadow) until the white wall started peeling off with the heat then he got worried & had it changed. Along with the starter that decided to die overall cost 1800ch Francs.
Serves him right. :-\
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »

I'm in the mountains all the time.....it's over 7k feet just 80 miles up the road from me. 

While we rode Pike's Peak, that was a dirt road and used mostly gearing coming down with a feather of the brakes now and then. I ride asphalt the same way.  Been riding since the early 70s and have never had a warped rotor however, I did have one that cracked on my 86 Heritage, once.

OUCH, this is where we part ways JC. I'd rather buy a $120 rotor than rebuild a motor cause I was riding like a trucker with a Jake Brake. Sorry, no offense, just my personal opinion that using your engine to slow your bike down; especially coming down the side of a mountain is hard on it.

B B

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »

using your engine to slow your bike down; especially coming down the side of a mountain is hard on it.

B B

That's how I always ride, I feel much safer using the engine then the brake in most circumstances. Once you get a good feel for the (your) bike and the conditions you ride the bike under using the engine just feels natural. JMO.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »

You can't use one or the other if you want to go fast....it takes all of it.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »

Worn out tires, brakes and motors just mean you had a great life. Back to work boys so I can make more cash and ride the piss out of em.

I can easily see getting anywhere from 2k to 12K on a tire. There are to  many variables such as roads, riding styles, tire compounds, loads, power application and braking habits that affect milage to come to much of a consensus. It's your money and your life so change when you want to. All my personal opinion and all arguments accepted.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

You can't use one or the other if you want to go fast....it takes all of it.  :) spyder
You're right Spyder. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »

Wouldn't it be so boring if we all agreed on everything ?

I use my engine only in those situations where the brakes are not enough.

And after 40+ years of riding, I try hard to avoid those situations.

B B

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »

For this guy, tires, clutches, gearboxs and engines all last about the same.
Ever wonder what the heel shifter was really good for? Wonder no more.

SG
Fullsac
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »

Just changed my rear tire again with 18000 miles on it,, squaring off a bit, but still not to the wear bars.  Does handle allot better with the new tire.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »

For this guy, tires, clutches, gearboxs and engines all last about the same.
Ever wonder what the heel shifter was really good for? Wonder no more.

SG
Fullsac

Well that's one way to use up a rear pretty fast...   ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.