Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2011 Screamin' Eagle Engine Noise  (Read 17245 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: 2011 Screamin' Eagle Engine Noise
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »

A windshield ( and I do not care what brand it is) is not going to make an engine noise go away.  The way the wind goes over or around that windsield may suppress the noise, but the problem is still there.  If it were that easy to get rid of an engine noise   --- Harley would start putting different windshields on from the factory. and tell us they have finally cured the 110 problems.

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »

First of all - I must agree [contrary to Harley's assertions] - that it is indeed a "Noise" and NOT a "sound"]
In my opinion - [for what it's worth] - a "sound" is something that is produced due to design, materials oor what have you [like the 5th gear whine in my '08 which is attributed to the fact the 5th and ist are 'straight cut gears' - and straight cut gears produce a "sound".]
There is no plausible explanation [at least not one that I have ever heard] about that clatter / rattle etc heard eminating from the 110" CVO motors.

Second - I have to restate that the noise in this RPM range is not "GONE". It is simply not reflected or amplified by my new windshield the way it was with my Stock windshield.
It is STILL THERE - but only in a far more muted fashion that  it is now not bothersome or aggravating to the point where the noise level created would serve to consume me with frustration.

I stand by my comments.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »

When I remove my lowers the rocker rattle 'goes away'.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

I have never claimed to be "the sharpest knife in the drawer".....

That being said - I have wracked my feeble little brain attempting to come up with some other explanation for this situation - other than sound reflection and amplification.

I have put +- 1,000 miles on the bike since the new windshield was installed - and that being the only change - cannot for the life of me figure out any other reason for the reduction in the sound intensity.

I would be tempted to think [which is a dangerous thing for me to do] that perhaps the lower fairings just might serve as an additional components on the bike that would be positioned in such a way that it might allow sounds to 'bounce' up at the rider and be reflected towards the person oprating the motorcycle....

Again - I can only speak about MY experience.....

Others may be far more knowledgeable have different opinions - which I respect, but I sure can't find any other reason for this.

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »

BTW Dayne66...

Guessin' I probably know you....

I used to work for Steve on The Island....

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »

First of all - I must agree [contrary to Harley's assertions] - that it is indeed a "Noise" and NOT a "sound"]
In my opinion - [for what it's worth] - a "sound" is something that is produced due to design, materials oor what have you [like the 5th gear whine in my '08 which is attributed to the fact the 5th and ist are 'straight cut gears' - and straight cut gears produce a "sound".]
There is no plausible explanation [at least not one that I have ever heard] about that clatter / rattle etc heard eminating from the 110" CVO motors.

Second - I have to restate that the noise in this RPM range is not "GONE". It is simply not reflected or amplified by my new windshield the way it was with my Stock windshield.
It is STILL THERE - but only in a far more muted fashion that  it is now not bothersome or aggravating to the point where the noise level created would serve to consume me with frustration.

I stand by my comments.

I think you will find that if you COMPLETELY remove your windshield, fairing, lowers, and crash bars and then ride at 85 MPH for four hours straight (without a helmet or ear plugs),   ----   like magic the engine noise and sound will vanish.  HUH?? :nixweiss:

knackers

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »

G'day wadez1,
I recently got my bike back after 4 months. My cvo is a 07 springer but what your describing is pretty damn close to where my yarn begins.

My engine suffered from the lack of clearance with the rocker covers but fortunately no dramatic oil leaks so it was sent in for the ENHANCEMENT.
After the enhancement my engine now had a new rattle which was present on the 80 klm ride back home, this was present between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
That night the dealer was notified which has helped because my bike is now 9 months out of warranty.
Yep I have heard all of the excuses, bad fuel, syn oil, quiet exhaust and so on. The dealers head mechanic rode the machine and agreed the engine now had travelled
about 2000 klms since the enhancement. The engine always had the rattle and now was chewing around 500 ml oil per 1500 klms which it never did prior the
enhancement. Luckily for me the Harley Rep for Australia rode the bike and gave the dealer the go ahead to find the cure.
When the enhancement was c/out new piston and rings were fitted and this is what had caused my issue. When I picked up the bike last week I spoke one on one with
the mechanic who admitted the pistons were out of spec and my engine now had a new top end. Cylinders, pistons and lifters were replaced and the noise had been
PISTON SLAP. The bike has only travelled 80 klms since picking it up due to our winter but the engine is quiet and I mean quiet. I realise this is a long winded yarn but
I cannot believe the difference with my engine and I know time will tell so I hope my experience might help you out.
Regards,
Knackers     

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »

Keep your legs together up against the tank it helps reduce the noise, don't forget to move them when you stop......and we pay tens of thousands for our quality American made Harley CVO.s !

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »

Jim Kennedy, I would venture to say that the noise you are hearing is piston slap. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »

Might very well be....

I am no expert.

Thing is - Mine made an incredible racket from Day 1 when it got very hot and was in heavy stop and go traffic in Summer months. At 12,000 miles we finally decided to do a leak-down test, and found the front cylinder at 28% leak-down and rear cylinder 35% leak-down, both measured with piston at the middle position in the cylinders.

Ordered and received new pistons, cylinders and piston rings [warranty]. Tech carefully measured fitment prior to install to make certain we were not going to end up with same situtaion.

Put back together and broke-in motor with regular HD 20/50. The mechanical 'flutter' we have been discussing remained.

However

The loud clattering sound was gone and now with 32,000 miles has not returned.

The flutter I hear has always been there [now just not nearly as noticeable as it was a month ago, which was the day I installed the new windshield].

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »

Jim Kennedy,

When you say he carefully measured fitment what do you mean.

Did he torque plate the cylinders and use a bore gauge to check them?

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »

Yes. He was quite thorough.

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »

you could add a set of woods cams & quiet it right down Jim...lol :2vrolijk_21:
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:11 PM »

Right now I think I am pretty much convinced myself that I am just going to ride it until something breaks...

I have a few modifications, but nothing serious - super tuner and stuff for a wee bit more performance and a few cosmetic items. Also added a few items for safety and reliability and to address the 08 and earlier handling issues.

A totally different topic... but BELIEVE me "bagger-wobble" DOES exist [I found out the hard way.....! ]

We have been into the motor 3 times, the primary twice and the cam chest once.

Although I find myself pretty much satisfied with the power the way it is now, I am sure the next time the motor is apart [for whatever reason] that there will be a few performance upgrades taking place at the same time.....

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 06:47:29 AM »

Wanna hear beau-coup noises?? :confused5:
Pull the hood off your car/truck,(liquid cooled, tighter tolerances, to boot) sit on top of it, and have someone drive you down the road at 60-65 mph. :nervous:
You won't like it at all, but in your vehicle, your insulated via the firewall from those sounds.
Scott
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.