Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help!!!! My bike is not charging  (Read 3888 times)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
Help!!!! My bike is not charging
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »

Hi Guys,     I am having a problem with my SERG.  I have not been able to ride for the last two weeks, and when I parked it last I was having no problems.  I went to start it yesterday to finally get out for a ride and it wouldn't start.  The battery had enough juice in it to turn it over once... then "click click click" I pushed it back into the garage and put it on the trickle charger for the night.  This morning it fired right up and I took it for a 10 mile ride thinking that should charge it fully.  While riding I kept an eye on the charging gauge and it was staying at about 10.5 amps, not moving up or down for the whole ride.  When I got home I shut it down and tried to restart it but again the battery was dead.  Can anyone speculate whether this is a battery or a charging system problem?

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Help!!!! My bike is not charging
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »

Marty, the dash instrument is actually a voltage rather than an amperage gauge.  But you still recognized it's lower than should be and that's really all that matters.

Do the obvious/simple/cheap things first.  Clean all the battery cable connections and make sure they're tight.  When that's not it (I know, not sounding optimistic) check the following link for a series of steps to check and isolate the individual pieces:

http://community.jpcycles.com/articles/tech-articles/pages/testing-harley-davidson-charging-systems.aspx

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

Thanks Don,  That was my next project (to check the conections) after I get off of the computer.  Then I will hopefully know more.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »

Marty, the dash instrument is actually a voltage rather than an amperage gauge.  But you still recognized it's lower than should be and that's really all that matters.

Do the obvious/simple/cheap things first.  Clean all the battery cable connections and make sure they're tight.  When that's not it (I know, not sounding optimistic) check the following link for a series of steps to check and isolate the individual pieces:

http://community.jpcycles.com/articles/tech-articles/pages/testing-harley-davidson-charging-systems.aspx

Great link! I have had similar problems in the past, turned out it was the stator. Wasn't a big deal to change it out.
Al

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »

Great link! I have had similar problems in the past, turned out it was the stator. Wasn't a big deal to change it out.

It's not unheard of for stator and regulator to both need replacement.  Don't know which kills the other.  But have been the puppy chasing its tail trying to figure out which one when it was both on a couple of bikes.

If just one piece failed I'd replace it and move on.  If any two of the three failed, however, the cost would be such I'd replace the rotor, stator and regulator as a set with 06 touring parts and pick up the benefit of the three phase charging system.  If already changing enough that it's cost/time effective it's a worthwhile swap.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:40:51 PM by Twolanerider »

Dawolf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »

I had the same exact issue...Stator and Regulator had to be replaced...I would start off with the stator...

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »

my bike is on a battery tender - a new battery every year - third starter - and we go for a couple hour drive anywhere, as soon as I turn the bike off, there is no more starting it. Thanks for the tip of stator and regulator. I do not know if these have ever been replaced.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »

my bike is on a battery tender - a new battery every year - third starter - and we go for a couple hour drive anywhere, as soon as I turn the bike off, there is no more starting it. Thanks for the tip of stator and regulator. I do not know if these have ever been replaced.

You've definitely got a problem Candy.  There's a voltage gauge in the dash.  While riding is it around 14 on the gauge?  It would fall below that on idle but while riding it should be there.

Sounds like the battery tender keeps the battery charged while the bike isn't in use.  Then use discharges.  Even if you had an electronic or an electrical problem that was putting a draw on the battery I don't think it would discharge the battery in a couple hours time.  If so the battery tender wouldn't keep up.  Given your description I'd definitely be concerned about a problem in the charging system. 

That "system" is those three parts mentioned.  Stator, rotor and regulator.  Good and clean battery cable connections are also necessary. 

If MrWe has a multimeter with a DC voltage range on it it can be used to check charging system output at the battery.  Just in case you're not trusting the dash gauge.  If a problem is shown would then have to sort out which part or parts in the system are causing it.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »

You've definitely got a problem Candy.  ...
Thanks so much for the guidance, I will ask our local shade tree mechanic to have a look see.
They tackled it last year and they thought that if I just left the alarm on when on tender, it seemed to not discharge the battery, but that is not working once we get underway.
I was sick most of last year so I hardly got to ride at all, and when you do get to take off for a few and then the bike dies on you, it is just no fun.

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 21 queries.