Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some FXR suggestions  (Read 2656 times)

Bullwinkle

Some FXR suggestions
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »

My dream bike was a blue FXR3 but had to "settle" for an FXR-SP, another story.

It took a few years to get the FXR-SP like I wanted it.  Besides an engine swap I had some suspension work done.  I used the Race tech cartridge emulators in the front and found some Koni shocks on eBay.  Made all the difference in the world, but I got used to it and thought all FXRs were this way.

Then I found a clean FXR3 and bought it.  First ride felt like something was bad wrong.  The handling felt vague and disconnected.  Funny how you can get spoiled.  So I had the cartridge emulators installed and went on eBay to find a set of good shocks.  Luckily I found some Works shocks for a very good price and put them on.  My beloved handling returned!

Lesson here is that we take things for granted.  So I suggest at least the cartridge emulators.  It makes a tremendous difference.  Footpeg replacement costs will rise, though.    :orange:  In only a few months <in Florida> I have ground about 1/4" of the top end of the left footpeg.  The bottom is ground off about 7/8" so far.

Not to be flamed for heresy since I have all the stock parts safely boxed, but an Electra glide 5 gallon gas tank is a nice swap and also a second disk and caliper on the right side.

In retrospect I should have painted the front tank brackets black so they are not so noticeable, but it is not too bad.

FWIW, ymmv, etc.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
Re: Some FXR suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:21 AM »

Bullwinkle-

Really like the FL tank addition as well as the handlebar mounted gauges.  The larger tank (extra fuel) must be great for "survival touring" in those desolate areas.  Been thinking about doing the same in the near future.  Regarding your gauge setup, I did a similar thing with my FXR3 gauges using the wrinkle black mounting bracket (no reflective glare vs. chrome), -- as I switched my tank out to the FXLR model. Was even able to snap in the stock indicator lights.  Swapped out the handlebar clamp with a Bar & Shield logo kind.  Also it's necessary to find new tach and speedo gauges, as the tank mounted gauges do not fit into the handlebar-mount cups.  Mounted the setup using 1-inch clutch cable mounts at the bend in the stock handlebar risers.  Lined each of the two clutch cable mounts with strips of rubber inner tubing to snug them up on the risers.  Just enough clearance to use the quick-release windshield mount, if necessary.  Ahh, the price we pay for wanting it the way we want it! 

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:35:22 AM »

Bullwinkle.....good lookin' scoot
Any problems concerning the larger tank fitment?
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »

I've got couple of fxr's, red 2 and blue 3 and am curious about the race tech cartridge emulators..you spoke of. another fellow spoke of changing out front springs with something that would improve handling and shock we feel on front end of our fxrs. What exact item did you change to from race tech, i may change out my fxr2 w/ 21 inch first and then my fxr3. How much improvement do you feel? both my bikes are stock.  Any other fxr2, 3. 4. folks change out their rear shocks..if so what?  and other mods to front....give me your opinion please.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:22:22 PM by hdfxr3 »

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.