Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hawg Wired Saddlebag lid SBL 200P  (Read 3397 times)

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
Hawg Wired Saddlebag lid SBL 200P
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »

Has anyone else tried these HW speaker lids?    Just picked up the BIG SIX package to augment my existing 6.5 FOCAL fairing and rear pod speakers.  The plan was to use the hawg wire lids with HW Z 6.5's also in HD lower fairing speaker pods and run it all on the new HW refrence series 400w amps(replacing my existing HW300w amps).

I am a little disapointed with the lids ...  I expected to get what i saw in the photos on HW site ...  I was told they would be genuine harley parts(unpainted) but modified ...  what i got are pretty ruff castings that need to be ground off in places, filled in others,  machine tool scuffs and scratches, dimples(lows) and high spots on the top of the lid   ...  someone else's mark ground off on the inside, and a  hot melt brand "Fairing factory" re-stamped and even what looks like attempt to be corrected a time or two ... you need to add gaskets and standless rear hook tabs  to even make it mountable.  No Hawg Wired stamps or markings that i can find.  

seems like for a nearly $800 price tag they would be a little cleaner. Definantly not what is pictured on the web site.

Is this tipical for a new harley SB lid ???
Does anyone know a painter in northern Cal that will be able to match my 04 B&B paint for the lids at a reasonable price?   which begs the question what is reasonable?  hahaha

Thanks for any feedback
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:05:01 PM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Hawg Wired Saddlebag lid SBL 200P
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »

Thats a bummer, the web photo's are nice but not what you describe.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »

I just purchased the set of hard bag lids, speakers, grills and IPod rear mount kits to hook up to the 500w J&M amp I installed on my 09 Road glide CVO. The lids were spot on clean, no scratches prior to sending them out for paint. They did come completely disassembled which was what I expected as I knew they required paint. Not sure but you might have gotten a bad set, I would check with the dealer and look to see if they can replaced.

I would definitely let HD know if you are not happy with the quality, it will help others down the road.
TTCVO

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »

These were not purchased from harley,  they were a special order from hawg wired ..   hawg wired had told me that they purchased all their lids from harley and then modified them to sell to end customers ..

that is interesting that your lids from harley, unpainted, did not have flaws like mine do ...  I will check with hawg wired on monday to see what the scoop is .... just seems like you should not have to grind them down and fill them with bondo if they are brand new ...   could be im just not in the know ....

keep that feed back coming ...  

thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:07:20 PM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

CVO Willy

• CVO Willy
  • Full CVO Member
  • Loving The Wine Country

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »

Has anyone else tried these HW speaker lids?    Just picked up the BIG SIX package to augment my existing 6.5 FOCAL fairing and rear pod speakers.  The plan was to use the hawg wire lids with HW Z 6.5's also in HD lower fairing speaker pods and run it all on the new HW reference series 400w amps(replacing my existing HW300w amps).

I am a little disappointed with the lids ...  I expected to get what i saw in the photos on HW site ...  I was told they would be genuine Harley parts(unpainted) but modified ...  what i got are pretty ruff castings that need to be ground off in places, filled in others,  machine tool scuffs and scratches, dimples(lows) and high spots on the top of the lid   ...  someone else's mark ground off on the inside, and a  hot melt brand "Fairing factory" re-stamped and even what looks like attempt to be corrected a time or two ... you need to add gaskets and standless rear hook tabs  to even make it mountable.  No Hawg Wired stamps or markings that i can find.  

seems like for a nearly $800 price tag they would be a little cleaner. Definitely not what is pictured on the web site.   Does anyone know a painter in northern Cal that will be able to match my 04 B&B paint for the lids at a reasonable price?   which begs the question what is reasonable?  hahaha

Is this typical for a new Harley SB lid ???

Thanks for any feedback

:vrolijk27:  WOW! I would only have to think for that kind of money you paid for those lids that they would of come ready to prime and paint. Got to say, I hope Hawg Wired steps up to the plate and offers you a way to refund your purchase or offer you a offset of offering you some of your money back. I have seen a lot of other lids on the market for half that money. Whats Up Hawg Wired?  :nixweiss: Hoping it all works out for you when you contact them on Monday. Let us all know how they treat you with there customer service. Hope to here only good news for you..............................   :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:39:36 PM by CVO Willy »
CVO WILLY

Loving The Wine Country

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »

Fairing Factory makes many products. You can search Google and find their Company and their product listing.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

just a few more photos,  photos are not coming out well,  but you get the idea  ..

This one shows a ridge that needs to be ground down all along the edge of the lid and casting blob

2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »

Wow, those are trash... Mine were perfect, take them back, no way I would keep them.

Also, there is a place in Port Washington WI. The guys name is Bill, they did CVO paint for Harley Corp for some time. Go on line and look up Kaliber Autobody, Port Wasdhington WI. Very resonable, I just got mine back and they are very nice. He really came through for me as the Stardust silver paint is not available from Harley.

TTCVO
TTCVO

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »

Note: The finish shown in these images are post paint. Lucky 13 Lids come in a raw ABS finish and will require some minor preparation before paint.

That's a quote from their website......but what you show is not what I'd consider 'minor'!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »

Agree, HW needs to step up. The HD units I purchased were less money and very clean.
TTCVO

CC-12YR

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:23 AM »

Has anyone else tried these HW speaker lids?    Just picked up the BIG SIX package to augment my existing 6.5 FOCAL fairing and rear pod speakers.  The plan was to use the hawg wire lids with HW Z 6.5's also in HD lower fairing speaker pods and run it all on the new HW refrence series 400w amps(replacing my existing HW300w amps).

I am a little disapointed with the lids ...  I expected to get what i saw in the photos on HW site ...  I was told they would be genuine harley parts(unpainted) but modified ...  what i got are pretty ruff castings that need to be ground off in places, filled in others,  machine tool scuffs and scratches, dimples(lows) and high spots on the top of the lid   ...  someone else's mark ground off on the inside, and a  hot melt brand "Fairing factory" re-stamped and even what looks like attempt to be corrected a time or two ... you need to add gaskets and standless rear hook tabs  to even make it mountable.  No Hawg Wired stamps or markings that i can find.  

seems like for a nearly $800 price tag they would be a little cleaner. Definantly not what is pictured on the web site.

Is this tipical for a new harley SB lid ???
Does anyone know a painter in northern Cal that will be able to match my 04 B&B paint for the lids at a reasonable price?   which begs the question what is reasonable?  hahaha

Thanks for any feedback

Be fair and quote this properly, having dealt with HW before this just doesn't seem to add up to what I've come to expect from them.
Obviously the Lucky 13 lids are pictured painted on the website.
You've not mentioned the Sidecar Cycles designed speaker pods with removable grills (for ease in painting), drainage system, stainless steel support bracket or the speaker harness with quick release capability.
Nor did you mention the ZX 6.5 spks that come with the package
BTW raw lids come that way, you paint them, then add hardware and gaskets.

A friend of mine has the same combination your about to do... and it kicks butt. His tour-pak speaker pods have been vented to the inside of the tour-pak giving it even more bottom end.
You should try this if you haven't already. Cool thing about the lids, he says the more stuff you pack into the bags the better the bass gets!
Any chance your selling the old amp, is it a PSC-3004?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:23 AM »

I have had very good success with a painter in Placerville which is not too far from you in Folsom.

Mikes Hawg Paint

http://mikeshawgpaint.com/

The owner is Mike Wakeman and he can color match anything.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »

CC-12YR,     I agree with you that Hawg Wired have stood up in the past when it came to defects etc,  and maybe they will come through for me too ...   i don’t know ... I contacted HW last Monday and shared with them my dissatisfaction with the quality of the lids and asked them what they could do for me .... I  believe I talked with Justin ...  he told me that these were for sure not Harley lids as he had told me they would be, three weeks earlier in pre-sales phone conversation ...  he indicated that they never used Harley lids and that he never said that ... its possible that i was confused who i was talking to the first time, and that it was someone other than Justin that told me they would be Harley lids,  but i was told they were Harley by someone that works there  ....  now no one wants to admit to the conversation ... fine .. If this is the best quality they have to offer for lids i am not interested in them ...all i want is to work out an exchange with HW.  not even a cash refund ..    I even suggested that they could take these defects back and substitute other HW  products for them ...  Justin said he has no authority to do exchanges, but he would get back to me ...

I have been waiting for 5 days without a follow-up contact from HW ...  Where is the customer service now?

I have spent thousands of dollars with this company and you make it sound like i am doing them a dis service by not talking about a speaker i have never even heard ... when my only complaint at this point is that the lids are substandard.   

CC-12YR,  If you like them so much,  perhaps you could solve all the issues by making me a fair offer to take them off my hands. HW will be happy ,  and i will be happy, and you will certainly be happy ...   send me a PM with your offer .....
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

CC-12YR

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 03:52:12 AM »

VRODDAVE,
Sorry to give you the wrong impression, I agree the lids are rough... no question! Just sounds like others are drawing a conclusion on what you've paid for by saying the HD lids cost much less. Is it not a complete kit... speakers, raw lids, speaker mount, grills, speaker wire harness and water drainage kit... anyway, keep on them, good companies always want to do the right thing... sometimes their just too busy getting out of their own way!

If I had the dough for your lid kit I'd consider making an offer, my cousin is a painter and would make short work out of the clean up. Unfortunately, I am at this time trying to put my bike back together with his help. Someone backed into it and preferred to remain anonymous! I already bought a new lid and am almost done with the whole fiasco, if your old amp is for sale... maybe I can swing that much, good amps are the key!
Sorry this isn't working out, best of luck... persevere!

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »

CC-12YR,  sorry you cant take advantage of what might be a great deal for you ...  my issues are not about cost .. franky, if someone GAVE me these lids, i would not install them on my bike.

I wish that i could say that cosmetic issues were the only flaws with these lids ... there are also design flaws that i think are important.  For example,  the lid has a seal and gasket around the inner lip.  on the HW lid,  someone forgot to include in the casting enough room for the gasket to stick on ...  I have compaired this to my harley lid and found that harley extended the casting to accomidate the gasket ..  maybe its just mine, check yours in this location shown in the photo.

With the cast of the HW lid i guess they just expect me to keep re-gluing the gasket in place over and over as there is just not enough room for a good bond. does this result in lack of seal?  im thinking so ...

Further as to the painter making short work of the ruff casting ...  well, from what i am hearing, a new harley lid goes from parts man to painter (sanding prep)...   HW lid requires 1 or more hours of bodywork(bondo, etc) .. who pays for that? 

and that does not count prep on the inside of the lid to remove the grinding marks, smoth and finish, and who puts that nice pretty hawgwired logo they show on the website inside anyway ?   my painter?  nothing in the box to accomidate that ...
 ...  who wants a logo and un-dented un-ground inside of a SB lid?   i guess the same guy that spends 3k on a stereo for a motorcycle .. hahaha
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 21 queries.