Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: decelleration popping and noise from engine.  (Read 9592 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
decelleration popping and noise from engine.
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

Well, I looked back about 8 pages and didn't see anything for this but I may have to be corrected.  My 2012 has been experiencing a considerable amount of noise when getting into the 2800 rpm range and higher since new.  Told the dealership it sounds like a popcorn popper.  Issues with taking off in 1st gear as well as considerably more decelleration popping than should be present.  Plus mileage about 40 mpg or so.....rarely any more.  So, finally they sent a mechanic (their top one; he's the guy we go to when we can't figure it out) and he brought the bike back into the shop and I didn't hear anything for about 1/2 hour.  Finally I asked about the bike and was told "the mechanic says he didn't find anything with the clutch and he couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary about the popping on decelleration.  (Maybe I got the 'wrench' that is good at what he knows and sees but can't hear anything any more....?) ok, so finally I asked what about the bike.  The service tech told me that yes, there is something seriously wrong with your bike and you can't even take the bike.  we have to keep it here and it will be about 2 weeks before we can fix it.  Have to split the case apart and it is suspected bad balance bearings in the bottom of the  engine!  Great!  I can't even take the bike?  I needed it that weekend for a couple trips.  I said it is on warranty isn't it?? He said yes, but if they tell me not to drive it and I ignore that advice and drive it, it may not be covered.  So, then a few minutes later I get another  tech that starts to ring me up and is telling me they didn't find anything wrong with the bike and that I'm good to go. I said somebody else just told me exactly the opposite.  That it was so bad I couldn't even drive the bike?  I asked him are we talking about the same bike??  He said yes, and then I asked him how there could be completely different stories and be the same bike?  He told me "well, I guess I better just stay out of it!"  (yeah, sounds good to me!)  Then a little while later the first guy comes out and says, here's the deal.....some serious issues with the bike but they can let me take it and I can just bring it in sometime and they will need it for about 2 weeks for repairs.  Now I am a little confused.........they made out a form and gave me a claim number, etc.  So it is documented.  Jump ahead to this last week...... Rode the bike to work without the fairing one day and had absolutely no noise or harsh sounds coming from the engine area.  Accellerates smooth as glass thru the 2800 rpm range and above.  One of the caps on top of the forks (right side) has a wear area where the chrome is worn clear to the brass below......So here is my observation:  The problem appears to be a serious vibration of the fairing/windshield.  It is plastic on metal and is acting like a megaphonefor the bike.  .  Amplifies everything imensely but moreover I believe something inside the fairing is vibrating as well.  So, last night my fix was to try to adjust a small (1/32nd or so) gap between the chrome fork cap and the spot under the fairing (gray plastic area just under the speaker.  it is a cutout area.)  Was able to get it where I can put a piece of paper (no more) in that gap.  Only wearing on the right side so imagine it is only touching on the one side.  I don't think it is anything with the engine at all.  Will test out my theory soon and see if the vibration goes away.  Expect it may.  And then I don't have to go thru the agony of splitting the cases, losing parts, scratching the frame up and all the other things probable while having our bikes in for "repair".  Is anybody else experiencing a little wear on top of their chrome cap or the vibration I have been describing??  Maybe it's just mine.  Pork

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:23:22 PM by porkypig »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: decelleration popping and noise from engine.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »

None of my business Pork, but I strongly suggest you find a better dealership, even if you have to ride a hundred miles to find one.  As I read your post I started thinking this should have been posted in the Humor section, then I got to the end and realized you weren't joking.

All the who shot john, left hand/right hand, BS miscommunication doesn't engender much confidence or trust in those clowns.  Fortunately you didn't just blindly accept the leave it and we'll tear it completely apart story.  Lord only knows what you may have gotten back after all their high quality work.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »

Thankyou, Jerry.  I firmly believe that rarely is anything ever the same once the factory seal is broken.  I know things get put together incorrectly at factories sometimes, but after seeing how repairs have been made to a bike or 2 of mine, and the trail of carnage that can accompany that repair, I'd just as soon limp by as get the repair if it entails tearing the engine apart.  I can imagine what may have happened if I had left it there.   "Yeah, we tore apart your engine and the bearings were bad but you're in good shape now.........uh, no, we already returned the bad bearings to the factory.  sorry, dude...........just missed 'em......"  Now, Ill be working on how to troubleshoot my clutch as well as the pinging.  I know there's some smarter people out there. 

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »

yea I'm with Jerry on this one as well...... find another dealer ... or better yet or seek out a good indy and get his thoughts 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

a better indy??

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »

This is scarry chit.  :'(
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:44:24 AM »

Pork, do you drive all the way to Riverside to have work done on your bike?  Because it sounds exactly like the dealer in Riverside.  And Loma Linda.  And Glendale. 

I hope you find an easy and cheap solution to your problem.

Dan

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:25:17 AM »

All I can say is......wow.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

12 CVO Convertible Satin Pewter
09 Deluxe Vivid Black-Sold

1998 Corvette 500HP
1970 Chevelle SS454 M22 Rock Crusher

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 06:43:50 AM »

a better indy??

independent Harley shop ...a non dealer shop
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »

ok, Lever, gotcha!  You are probably right about that.  But the same goes for finding a good indy.  We have a local shop that has a mechanic there and his forte is telling everybody that he used to be a Harley wrench and now he is of course an authority on  Harleys.  His approach is that he can do stuff for cheaper.  So a few years ago I considered  using him to diagnose an issue with my Heritage shutting down.  He said he had some pretty good ideas.  And the Harley shop didn't seem like they could get me in before Sturgis.  In the meantime I used this guy to do a 30K service for the bike.  When it was done, I felt like I got a $175 oil change is all.  Couldn't tell me anything about my bike, and said all was well with everything.  Then I decided to use the Harley dealer when they were able to get me in.  They found the issue quickly and it was done.  So, have to look around for a good indy as well and hope you don't run onto a Harley mechanic that possibly couldn't make it at the Harley dealer.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:12:20 AM by porkypig »

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »

Hi
I was alarmed by this when I first had mine and its done 10,000 miles now and is still doing it but I now love it and would hate it to be cured.

see post from last year

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61762.msg870809#msg870809

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »

well, y'all, headingout for Sturgis this am.  anyway's, wanted to bring you all out of the dark and let you know my findings over the last couple weeks.  ended up doing a sort of a test and took the fairing/windshield off to see if that made any difference.  Mind you, there is a little more wind noise because of that, but my overall issues with the "bearings" deep in the bowels of this internally balanced engine went promptly away!  Engine sounds much more quiet and smooth.  Really difficult to detect anything at all.  Just as our frame acts as a "megaphone" and "transmits" lots of the engine sound directly thru the bike in the form of vibration at higher speeds and sound as well, that fairing does the same thing I believe.  On the tourers, they are rubber mounted and vibrate/shake at low idling speeds but when they rev up, they smooth out like glass.  Well, here is the kicker----  the beautiful chrome knob that screws down onto the top of the fork on the right side is in direct contact with the bottom of my fairing.  So much that it has worn markings thru the chrome and into the brass cap itself..........oh, crap, it's out!  Harley chrome is not solid chrome!!!!!  Oh, well, my wife refers to it as the "other precious metal", so who am I to argue with her???  Anyways on the left side I can slide a piece of paper between the cap and the bottom of the fairing but not on the right.  So, in my infinite, self-professed wisdom, I took the fairing off, and managed to loosen screws in the body of things trying to maintain perspective of how things relate to each other; you know, when you tweak this, something else has to move or take its place; sort of the Isaac Newton theories, or Michael Angelo, or one of those otther old guys that contributed to our motorcycle physics...........so, I managed to move things around enough that I could get a piece of paper between that knob and the fairing on the right.  Makes sense, that if it is rubbing enough that you push thru chrome, it may be touching enough that it could vibrate????  And the sound has pretty much just gone away.  Bless us poor owners that would otherwise be "going under the knife" of those surgeons of the Cycles who are just too anxious to get our bikes into the operating room and remove our splines, or especially our "bearings deep in the bowels of the cases which 'must' be separated."  I have been without a bike so many times while those "knuckleheads" scratch their....................heads...................just to have them come back and say, "sorry, we ordered the wrong part for the umpteenth time but we know what it is now.  just bring it back again in a couple weeks and we'll look at it and scratch our .................heads...........again and we'll get you fixed up."  I'll take care of my own issues as best as I can and continue reading and contributing right here on the forum where there are guys willing to take time and effort for the common cause of us all riding better bikes.  No time to take pics of anything right now.  Sturgis bound, y'all.  Take care and talk to you when I return....Hi Ho Silver.....................or Happy Trails...........or Into the Western Sky comes.........................................    the Porkster.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:53:09 AM by porkypig »

12cvosoftail

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

Hi,

I haven't checked the fork caps, but will later on today. However, I will tell you that I normally ride with the windshield removed. However, last weekend I put it on for a 500 mile ride and noticed immediately that the CVO vibrated much more than normal. I'll post later after checked the caps.

12cvosoftail

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »

I checked my fork caps on both sides and you are correct they are both worn down the the windshield touches the forks on both side.  I could not slip a piece of paper between them. This explains the vibration with the windshield installed. Oddly, the vibration appears to be engine related even though it's clearly due to the windshield since the problem only occurs with the windshield installed.

Thanks so much for finding this problem. There is a cutout in the plastic of the fairing for the forks, but they didn't make it deep enough as both sides touch. I am contacting HD tomorrow.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:38 AM »

Is  anybody else experiencing the popping and backfiring on decelleration?  I had a guy I knew had a new 2004 Road king and right after it was new, he took a small pipe and knocked out the inside of the muffler (some sort of thing like a knockout in an electrical box) that he thought restricted the breathing of the muffler system.  Guess made the bike run smoother.  Does this bike have that same construction in the muffler and has anybody knocked out the inside of the pipe?  Would it aleviate the backfiring and popping I am experiencing?  Any ideas?  thanks.  Pork.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

Pork,

I have had the same issues with popping/backfire/decelleration and had it fixed with a Dyno tune.  See this posting.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=71964.0

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »

Wow, been almost a year since I started this topic.  anyway, 2 days ago, I get my service writer calls me up and says he has good and bad news.  the bad news is that they have checked out the oil and there is filings in the oil.  The good news is that Harley is going to put in a brand new engine.  yay!!  They're not even going to tear the motor down.  Wonder why, though..............   But I am expecting it might run better after that.   pork.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

sounds like  good news  :orange:
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »

Can`t argue with that!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

Great news  :2vrolijk_21:
For once the MOCO comes up trumps!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »

Don't do it.  You will make things worse, especially backfiring and popping.  It will be like having a straight pipe with no baffles and bike will sound like crap and will kill your low end torque.

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak or exhaust leak or a bad plug or plug wire. Not sure why a good dealer can't find the problem.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »

Now wait a minute.............you're saying don't let MoCo put a brand new engine in my bike?  Because it will make it worse?  Are you close by?  Can you come right over and diagnose the bike yourself?  I surely don't want to make a mistake but I truly can't see where I am making a mistake.   Pork. ;)

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »

I think he is talking about your friend the "punching" out the cat or something in the exhaust..  New engine is good!!
David

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »

Yes on the engine !!!

No on punching out the muffler !!!

Go with a Screaming Eagle slip on muffler if you want quiet performance and a TTS fuel management system to help cool down the bike and improve performance.

Glad Harley is going to take care of the engine.

Did they say what the problem was?

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

Okay, SteveO, just reread the postings and now realize what you were talking about with the popping/baffles removed, etc.    :) That bike was 8 years older than this bike and I imagine the technology is different now and wouldn't be a good idea.  I'll take the advice.  But glad you weren't recommending NOT going with the new engine.  So, Saturday they will install the new heart and hopefully I will be good.   thanks.  Poork.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 12:23:38 AM »

well, tonite I picked up the bike with the brand new engine in it.  They showed me my old engine in a box ready to ship back to Milwaukee.  That engine is sure big when out of the bike!!  Took it out on the road and it appears to run flawlessly so far.  Much more power than before and when it idles, it idles like it is supposed to.  So, do I have any suggestions about how to break in this new engine?  I was told by someone at the counter that I should "drive it like you stole it"!  I said, well, there are 2 of us (me and my wife) who heard that.  someone else said "be gentle with it".  So, forum brothers and sisters, what do you say?    Poork.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »

Pork,  that subject has about as much controversy as opening up a new thread on who makes the best oil.  There are definitely two different views on this and a lot of internet research to back up both points.  I prefer the "ride it hard" approach, however if something breaks and the MoCo can discern that you didn't follow the recommended "gentle" break in procedure, it can invalidate your warranty, or so I've been told.  Very happy to hear that your problem had a happy ending.

JB

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »

x2 ...lot of info  including dyno break in as well
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

Many - Many different views on break in.  Probably because there is really no way to tell who is correct.

I have broken in many engines with the same procedure,  (cycle , cars, tractors, small engines )    Very gentle (low rpm and acceleration) for the first few miles (250)  or hours (4).  Then do recommended break in for next interval half of time. ( 500mile or 8hrs )

CHANGE the oil filter.   

After filter change I then get progressively more aggressive.   Change oil and filter at recommended interval.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »

all good recommendations and thoughts.  Let me tell you about this morning....got your helmet strapped on, seatbelt firmly in place.....oops, this is a motorycle, never mind........and hand on the throttle??  if this bike was a car, it would register as a NASCAR this morning.  what a beautiful day.  75 degrees, just t-shirt and vest (I know; what about safety??) well I had my helmet on.  filled up the bike as the dealer must have forgotten and left me with about 1/8 of a tank.  Headed out to work which is about 35 miles and didn't want to run out of gas.  This engine has a tiny bit of discernable noise which may be acceptable as it is a frame-mount engine vs rubber mount. But the accelleration from 1000 up thru 2000 and as high up as 3500 was absolutely flawless.  As I go into the 3000+ realm, it started that Harley growl (sweetspot I call it) that I love so well but seems to attract the cars with silvers shields on the doors.........Like I said, if this was a car, it could have been a NASCAR.  Feels like endless throttle.  Never got into 6th gear as I was trying to keep the rpm above 2K and not go over 3500 but keep the rpms up there. Raise it up to 3500 and then go down to 2K on its own power and then back up again slowly.  Revvd as smooth as glass.  2800 and up is where I realized the noise and vibration etc on the last engine.  This engine seemed like it could have continued up in rpm until it sounded like a scalded cat!  But don't want the MoCo to see that in print!  I was mucho impressed.  Just sad that the first 12,000 miles was spent with an engine that was destined to be sent back to the factory in shame. Now, like Jasray and a few others have testified, I love this bike.  It is well balanced and well designed.  I still liked the bike before but even more now.  What is wierd is that I can go thru 1st gear without the bike feeling like it is ready to stumble and fall.  And like I said, seeing that engine in the box ready to be shipped back to Milwaukee.....that is one biggggggggggg motor!  Anyway, if the next number of miles works out, I should have this bike for some time.......unless Harley puts out a 2014 bike this year that I just can't live without.  Truly I think my wife would send me to the hospital to be examined..........but she does admit that chrome is the "other" precious metal.............  ha!   Pork.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:17:56 PM by porkypig »

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »

Life is good....Enjoy!

It is good to hear that it all worked out for you. 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »

Pork,

I have had the same issues with popping/backfire/decelleration and had it fixed with a Dyno tune.  See this posting.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=71964.0
Oooh, Jas, reading your post makes me want to make a special run from Washington state down to Texas to see Ed.  Now that the bike is running better, I believe it could make a difference.  However, previously, as they found brass in the bottom of the engine, not sure what he could or would have been able to do.  Now, I seriously need to reread these posts about which pipes to buy and which tuner, etc.  Can see some of that happening now but not sure of what is in my area in the way of a tuner (person). 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »

Just wanted to post an update as to how the engine is running after total replacement.  It is running just fantastic.  Not used to this much power or this smooth.  Have almost 400 miles on it now and wanted to get it broke in before the ride to Spokane this Friday so that my wife doesn't have to put up with the speeding up, slowing down game for 130 miles.  But it is sure smooooooth.  Will be anxious to see what the mileage will improve to once I am able to keep a steady speed with a lower rpm.  Plenty of power and haven't experienced any vibration yet.  Maybe they got it right this time.  $8K later.......   Pork.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

Great News  :2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »

Pork...  happy to hear all is well now.

JB

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:36 AM »

well, I plan to ride to work tomorrow and by the time I get home, I should be off the breakin.  then just hope I don't get a ticket......ha!  Pork.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »

pork sounds like the gremlins are behind ya ...grats  glad it work'd out for ya  :2vrolijk_21:
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

That's Tony the Tiger GREEEEEEEEEAAAAT news Pork!! :pepper: :pepper:

Does it run better than your 2010 or 2011?

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

well, if you know me well, you know I'm a continual victim of '1st impressions'.  Meaning it's common for me to think upfront that the ill is cured, only to be lured into false thinking soon after I declare, "it's a miracle; I'm cured!"  however, in this case I have put 500 miles on the new 'ticker' now and it runs just like a NASCAR car would (I've never actually seen or heard one live) run.  Runs circles around the '10 and '11 engines I had.  My theory??  Harley doesn't have to abide by DOT's (or whoever sets the rules) strict requirements for releasing a brand new bike out into the public.  they are replacing a complete engine.  Possibly there is a loophole or clause that allows them to replace the failed engine with a new one and at that point they are allowed to time it and tune it like it should have come from the "gettin' place" in the first place.  Instead of telling us, "sorry, dude, we can only time or tune it like it came from the factory:..  sorry, but they all run lean, or rich, or whatever.....gosh, look at the time. I'm gettin off shift, but somebody else can give you another 'line of bull' in the morning." 
So, I'm going to enjoy  riding it up to Spokane this evening with my best girl on the back and find that sweet spot where it really does roar now like Tony the Tiger! It's GGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttt!!   ha!   Pork.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »

well, if you know me well, you know I'm a continual victim of '1st impressions'.  Meaning it's common for me to think upfront that the ill is cured, only to be lured into false thinking soon after I declare, "it's a miracle; I'm cured!"  however, in this case I have put 500 miles on the new 'ticker' now and it runs just like a NASCAR car would (I've never actually seen or heard one live) run.  Runs circles around the '10 and '11 engines I had.  My theory??  Harley doesn't have to abide by DOT's (or whoever sets the rules) strict requirements for releasing a brand new bike out into the public.  they are replacing a complete engine.  Possibly there is a loophole or clause that allows them to replace the failed engine with a new one and at that point they are allowed to time it and tune it like it should have come from the "gettin' place" in the first place.  Instead of telling us, "sorry, dude, we can only time or tune it like it came from the factory:..  sorry, but they all run lean, or rich, or whatever.....gosh, look at the time. I'm gettin off shift, but somebody else can give you another 'line of bull' in the morning." 
So, I'm going to enjoy  riding it up to Spokane this evening with my best girl on the back and find that sweet spot where it really does roar now like Tony the Tiger! It's GGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttt!!   ha!   Pork.
Glad to hear everything is great on the west coast Porky. Enjoy your trip to Spokane.  Keep us posted as your new engine gets some miles on it.  Is it all stock including mufflers?  Enjoy

John
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 06:32:46 PM »

Yes, it is so far John. If this holds true, I can's see a reason to get other mufflers, etc. but, we'll see.

slmetcalftx

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »

Pork,

I've been having the same problem with my bike. It's the 2012 Convertible and the deceleration popping is terrible. We changed the pipes from the big radius (which is what was on the bike when I bought it) and have the Vance Hines with the TTS tuner. And still having terrible time with the deceleration popping. Doesn't get better when the engine is warm either. I'll have to go back to where you said you had it diagnosed in Texas, because I live here, but it's a big state. LOL! We are heading out to Sturgis Friday, so won't be able to have it looked at before we leave, but definitely worth considering everything you've posted and tried to do.

Now if I can just figure out how to get some Bose speakers mounted on the bike. LOL!

Ride safe everyone!

:huepfenjump3:
Sherry
"Tex"

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »

Sherry you have a great tuner all you need to do is find a tts tuner in your area and they will take care of your deceleration popping ....here is a link from tts website  there are many in the texas area including  GMR  which is also a site  vendor  ..hope this helps ...Lever
http://www.mastertune.net/dealers.htm
2017 Road King M8
stage IV
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 21 queries.