Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NY Times Motorcyles blamed Death Rate Rise  (Read 1859 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
NY Times Motorcyles blamed Death Rate Rise
« on: August 24, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »

[size=22]Death Rate on Highways Rises, and Motorcycles Are Blamed[/size]

By MICHELINE MAYNARD
Published: August 23, 2006

DETROIT, Aug. 22

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: NY Times Motorcyles blamed Death Rate Rise
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »

This subject made "Today" show on NBC this morning. Today Show information, news and stories - - MSNBC.com Look under the "Today Show Video", and click on "Motorcycle deaths worsen U.S. traffic toll" to view video.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:27:19 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:07:02 PM »

Maybe they should look more closely as to cause of injury (motorcycle alone, cage vs. motorcycle,etc.). I guess big question that not addressed is would 1/2 that died without helmet on been preventable with helmet?  Also notice they glossed over that there are more total pedestrain deaths per year!  Maybe they should wear helmets too!!!!
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »

Maybe they should look more closely as to cause of injury (motorcycle alone, cage vs. motorcycle,etc.). I guess big question that not addressed is would 1/2 that died without helmet on been preventable with helmet?

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »

Tell us the causes of the motorcycle deaths....again it's "not wearing a helmet"  but never a mention of the cager that turned left in front of the rider and caused the F*cking crash in the first place.
how bout I go buy a big old used dump truck...wait at an intersection for the first cager I see coming who is not wearing a seat belt..then pull out to the left in from of him at the last second so he T-bones me real good in the side of the bed..
Story would be .".motorist killed by truck driver."... why not ..".motorist killed in crash..not wearing seat belt"
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:36:44 PM »

While every human life is precious, and every fatal accident tragic, these fatal accidents are not going to stop.  Ever!  What the liberal press, and mental giants such as Matt Lauer report, are only parts of the story.  The part they want you to hear.  A Motorcycle is not part of the plan they have, for how we should live our lives.  More Motorcycle deaths would convince me....More Motorcycles on the road.  And, more drunked up, doped up, don't know how to drive anyway, no attention paying, rednecks and idiots, in cages that have no concern for a Motorcycle.  I'd bet money, substancially more of those unfortunate Riders, went down because of cages.  I'd bet 85 to 90% of those accidents involved cages.   I know when I straddle the saddle, the odds are against me.  But it is my choice, no matter what I read, or what anybody says.  Sure I like to run WFO, but I do try to be somewhat intelligent about it.  I know I can't run WFO 24/7.  For the most part, I stay the hell off 2-Lane roads, too.  Large parking lots?  Not me.  Big packs of Motorsickles?  Not me.  Going thru town?  Not me.  In the front?  That's me! ;)  Later--HUBBARD                
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 09:56:44 PM »

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:33:22 PM »

Hubbard, kinda reminds me of first time I took the Mrs. with me to Los Angeles (1984).  When we happened to be on the freeway about 4 pm she said what are we gonna do to keep from gettin run over?  I said get in the left land and go faster than anyone else.  Worked for me.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 10:33:26 PM »

Like most bikers, it ticks me off when so-called journalists and "government experts" (say what?) trivialize the issues bikers face on the road, and imply that we are to blame because we weren't smart enough to wear full body armor, helmets, etc.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 03:10:29 AM »

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] I wonder if the use of cell phones could attribute to some of the accidents as well.  At leat once a day, on my to and from work, someone changes lanes in and around me that has not did a shoulder check, cause they have that d(#m phone held up to thier ear.  You lay on the horn, and they just slink back to the previous lane, still not in any way concerned that they have almost caused a few of us in and around them to have a real bad day.  I wish that hands free would be the law and enforced.   :-/

[smiley=soapbox.gif]Sorry, I know there are many, many factors in an accident, this one issue has just got me boiled over. >:(  I talk on the phone while driving.  I have an ear peice, phone secure in a pocket in my car, and I shoulder check before changing lanes, even if I am fairly confident of what is going on around me.  I drive to work on a major interstate hiway.  It is full of locals and many, many folks just going North to South or South to North, and most folks are trying to do it pretty much WFO.   [smiley=nervous.gif]

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 09:20:28 AM »

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] I wonder if the use of cell phones could attribute to some of the accidents as well.
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 10:36:51 AM »

Lots of good points in this discussion.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 10:59:38 AM by RedFXR2 »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 11:03:20 AM »

Red...you missed another important catagory of Florida drivers.  How about the illegals and  foreign tourists that don't have clue and/or just don't give a chit.  The particular  breed that doesn't speak or read English, are about 5 feet tall, have a camera permanently mounted around their necks and appear from the back to be operating a driverless vehicle are my special favorite.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

The News media left out the most important part of the story and I for one am really disappointed "It's ALL GEORGE BUSHES FAULT" Without that staement included in every story I feel that the current report is very misleading  :)

As Fuel Price Continues to rise more folks with flock to Motorcycles and thus more folks will be Killed in the learning process! This will only lead to more useless regulation and laws to further control the Motorcycle industry.

3000lb Vechical runing into a 845lb bike will make for a real mess anyway you care to study it [smiley=soapbox.gif]

You can study anything and make it come out in any slant you wish to have it. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »

Red...you missed another important catagory of Florida drivers.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.