Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New FXR3 owner  (Read 1908 times)

greenenvy

• FLHRSEI.ORG
New FXR3 owner
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:29:42 PM »

Well, I own my second collector HD.  The first is a 1991 Sturgis and now the FXR3.  I picked this up with some cosmetic damage.  I won't tell you the price I paid or you might start flaming me.  I want to get the opinions of those on this list about the tank, which has to be repaired and repainted.  I am handy with the auto spray gun and will do the work myself and am considering the following:  Either paint the lime green metallic back exactly like stock, or do a lime green tinted ghost flame job on it which would be a pearlescent light shifting effect, but still tinted the same color green.  I really wanted this bike and damn near live on the couch after buying it!  Also, it seems like these bikes are dropping in value based on the ads I see around on google.  I assumed these would hold up better with the extremely limited numbers of them out there.  I have seen them for sale in the range of about 12k to 14k.  The dealer in Tucson, AZ has a green FXR3 listed at 14k now.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: New FXR3 owner
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:50:36 PM »

Hey GreenEnvy, you got a couple of nice scooters.  There was a thread earlier about bikes holding their resale value....got quite extensive, if I remember.  Bottom line:  they're not good investments, but a hell of a lot of enjoyment.  Therefore, paint your tank whichever way will satisfy you best, unless you're gonna sell the bike right away. Personally, I'd go with the ghost flames if you can do them well.  Let us see what you end up with.....  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:02:54 AM »

Welcome to the board, Green.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:28:10 AM by RedFXR2 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »

Painted CVO tins for FXR's are still available through HD or try this website:

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/OEM.asp

I was just told that the MoCo is no longer offering factory paint on some older models except in limited colors.......ie: in older dressers only black or primer.  So, this could be the start of a 'trend'.  :-/ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »

I was just told that the MoCo is no longer offering factory paint on some older models except in limited colors.......ie: in older dressers only black or primer.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

Let me add my welcome as well, Green! To agree with everything Red said and add, hopefully your newest addition will bring you many years of good riding and friendly conversation with old-school bikers, newbie's and RUB's alike.

I too was surprised at the decline in resale value. As for the FXR4 (2000), the MSRP was $18,260 (Cali) and $17,995 everywhere else. I was at a stealer a while back looking at new toys, so just out of curiosity I asked. They offered me $9K. That
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »

I am beginning to think I should have my color in my name too, Red... Green.

I have given it some thought, and decided that "Tangerine Dream" just doesn't suit me. Heck, if I had bought the more popular Screamin' Yellow version I could at least call myself "Yellow Fever" - that sounds menacing!
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

greenenvy

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 02:34:29 PM »

Thanks for the comments on my post.  I will post pictures when I decide what to do.  In retrospect, I think all the comments about the resale value have elements of truth in them.  If you paid MSRP back in 1999 and enjoyed the bike, then 12-14 is still not a bad deal after 7 years.  I have this motto that I try to remind myself of before jumping in.  "It is easy to buy and hard to sell".  What you want is priceless and what you have is worthless.  It's just the way the game is played, which is why it is really best not to sell .... just keep adding to the collection!  Why does my wife not buy into this very sound logic?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 04:53:29 PM »

....."It is easy to buy and hard to sell".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:23:23 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.