Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz  (Read 12009 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:46:26 AM »

have a question for any that have installed the dynamic ringz.  I have a 2013 serg and I recently bought the dynamic ringz for the front and the signal stabilizer as recommended by custom dynamics.  I got them yesterday and installed them and found that they work fine without using the signal stabilizer.  I don't mind not using that and getting the $60 back, but I just have to wonder how many other people have found that a signal stabilizer/load equalizer was not necessary? 
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »

i didnt get the load equalizer and the only side affect i see is when i use a directional my security light goes on. the next time i use a directional the security light goes ot.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »

have a question for any that have installed the dynamic ringz.  I have a 2013 serg and I recently bought the dynamic ringz for the front and the signal stabilizer as recommended by custom dynamics.  I got them yesterday and installed them and found that they work fine without using the signal stabilizer.  I don't mind not using that and getting the $60 back, but I just have to wonder how many other people have found that a signal stabilizer/load equalizer was not necessary? 
Mine work great without stabilizer/load equalizer.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »

Don't know about the 2013's as my 2011 was all incandescent as far as the turn signals went.

When I put the LEDs on just the front signals, it worked fine.  It was only after putting LEDs in the rear signals that the load equalizer came into play.

If not mistaken, aren't the 2013's already set up with LEDs?  thus making a load equalizer not necessary as your original post?

8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

Don't know about the 2013's as my 2011 was all incandescent as far as the turn signals went.

When I put the LEDs on just the front signals, it worked fine.  It was only after putting LEDs in the rear signals that the load equalizer came into play.

If not mistaken, aren't the 2013's already set up with LEDs?  thus making a load equalizer not necessary as your original post?

8)

they have the leds in the back, but the front turn signals are incandescents.  i had tried a set of the 'moonshinez' front leds that a bud had and they flashed fast, i was kinda expecting that from the dynamic ringz too, and cd alluded to that as well.  however, after just installing them, i got the initial fast flash that you get when you have to 'teach' the ecm that you have leds not incandescents.  after that, seems to be fine.  i haven't gotten a chance to ride with them yet, been raining here, but i guess what i'll do is to hang on to the signal stabilizer and see how things go.  if i don't have any problems in the next couple of weeks, then i'll return it to cd.  they have a 30 day return policy so it gives me a little time.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »

Where is this here-to-fore never heard of "mystery" ecm that learns about led's located? I know Dave at Custom Dynamics and neither one of us is aware of this amazing piece, so help a brother out and tell us where it is located on the bike.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »

I tried it without the load equalizer but got fast blinks.
Not to Hi-Jack but these are so bright I'm getting brights flashed back at me! They really show up in the daylight though.
RETIRED! :fireman:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »

Where is this here-to-fore never heard of "mystery" ecm that learns about led's located? I know Dave at Custom Dynamics and neither one of us is aware of this amazing piece, so help a brother out and tell us where it is located on the bike.

maybe i didn't word it exactly correct since i am not the electrical genius that many are. your ecm will flash fast when you have the turn signal on to signal you that you have a bulb out.  when you first install your leds, and hit the signal, because of the reduced load, your ecm thinks a bulb is out, so you flash the one side, then after a few seconds, you cancel and then flash the other side, so that the ecm 'senses' that both left and right are equal and not actually burnt out.

i thought i remembered reading that from cd's own literature, but can't find it now on their website since they updated to the 2014s.

if i'm wrong and it isn't necessary to do that step, then i apologize for making you go through all the extra work of turning your left turn signal on until it flashed fast, and then turning the right one on, but somehow i think that you'll survive.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »

Keep the load equalizer and I would suggest going ahead an installing.  You may not be getting any negative effects at this point but as some have stated already (and mine did the same thing), it will effect the operation of your factory alarm without the load equalizer.  And while they may be working fine now (no fast flashing), that won't last....take it from installing them on two 2012's.

However, you do have a 2013 so there may be a difference from the 2012's...

Still, the load equalizer is easy to install, water proof and works great.  IMO, cheap insurance the lights will work and not interfere with anything else.

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »

I thought the purpose of the equalizer was to "balance" out the resistance or current difference between incandescent and led circuits.  If you didn't have any LED signals on your bike beforehand and then install some in the front or rear, then the circuit would be unbalanced between the front and rear - which would require the equalizer to balance it back out again.  If you were to replace both front and rear signals with LED's, then the circuit should remain balanced and not need the load equalizer.  However, the 2013's had LED's in the rear signals, but incandescent in the front, so I don't know how or what Harley did within the harness to deal with that.  There might be some load resistors in there already to balance the front and rear signal circuits.  This might be why after adding LED's to the front signals that the circuit once again becomes unbalanced and requires the additional load equalizer to balance it out again.  It would be more trouble than it's worth, but in theory (if it's even correct) one should be able to remove whatever Harley did internally in the harness, add front LED's to their 2013 CVO and not need any external load equalizer.

Of course, I could be completely out of the ballpark with theory.

Hoping some of you others will "light" the way before I get to this mod ('cause I love the Ringz),

Tru

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »

from what I understand, and what has been my experience, if you put leds on either front or back, a load equalizer wasn't needed.  but once you put them on both front and rear, you did need one.  so hd may have not done anything to their stock circuitry on the 2013s.

sprinkman

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »

Does anyone have static coming through their radio using these? Mine has static when I turn my signalon.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »

okay, after riding without the signal stabilizer for a couple of days, I've decided to go ahead and install it.  what i'm finding out is that i'm having intermittent issues, sometimes it flashes fast, sometimes not, sometimes the red key icon comes on, then it goes off.  I think that i'll just do it right and install it. 

and sprinkman, i'm not having any static coming through.  at least not yet.  will update if I get it after installing the signal stabilizer.  maybe you have a bad ground?

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »

Does anyone have static coming through their radio using these? Mine has static when I turn my signalon.

Without the load equalizer, yes I did notice some signal interference when I had the FM playing.  I did run a couple days without the load equalizer (as noted in the post above...fast flash came/went and the red key would come on at times).  With the equalizer installed, no problems what-so-ever with any of the previous issues....works like a charm after 6 months and 10K miles.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:06:02 AM by Haird »

SimonNottsUK

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory & Vintage Gold (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust & Charcoal Slate (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHXSE Gunship Grey
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

Mine work great without stabilizer/load equalizer.

Hi there,

Did you buy the European specific Dynamic Rings, and if so, did you have to take the fairing off to wire in the running lamps?

Thanks

Simon
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 21 queries.