Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91494 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »

Evening Update; Going to 117"

After being told by the Manufacturer to run the rings that were .003-.004 > spec, the guys at Oasis & Revolution offered to give me a set of new Revolution 4.060 Nicasil Cylinders, Pistons & Rings, 'thought for a second, called back, and asked why not 117~ 4.125? if I pay for the case boring and the Cylinder Mid Bolt Kit? Oasis said sure!!! :2vrolijk_21: (aarrggghhh! will "the may as well, while we're in there" ever stop??? The CVO Forum has taken it's toll on my credit card :nervous: :nervous:

'Thinking about cams with less low end, and more top end (3k - 6k) than the T-Man 625s, since we are going to naturally gain TQ w/ the increased displacement, and have the lower ratios of the DD7. To better understand; I really preferred the "softer" bottom end of the 259s compared to the "tractor motor" with the stock 255s, especially in the low speed, tight, off camber roads that we encountered on the West Coast. Being "softer" on the bottom, it was easier for me to modulate the TBW. And we really enjoyed the "top gear roll-on" from 90+ w/ the 259s :coolblue:

'Just want to keep the compression low enough to accommodate the touring out West.     

Definitely  goin' to need more clutch now :pepper:

For any of y'all still following this thread, I would really appreciate any input, good, bad, or ugly, on this scenario!!       

Thanks to All,
(Especially Oasis, for their "Yes we are building a piano" mentality) :2vrolijk_21:

Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »

JMO

You've got the sickness, LOL.  I would stay with your original build.  Once you get into boring the cases then why gain only 4 CI?  The gain vs money will be???  Then of course then why not a 120" kit, a 124" or ....?

I've been there, done that!   I love my 117" but not sure I would do that again.  My latest bike stayed a 110".  However it really depends on your addiction, the monkey on your back.  I fight with mine all the time.  Heck, I'm looking at putting a 98" kit on my 95" SERK because I already own the kit.  But that's just my excuse, it really doesn't make any sense to do it.  I have to go take an exhaust off now to try another for more power...got to feed the addition monkey.  Good luck.

JW

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »

call Tman... stop the insanity  :-\
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »

I ran a 124 with the .625's in my 04 pumpkin.  Loved the low end torque and believe me, you didn't miss anything at 90 mph!  With the stock 5 speed and wide open, I would shift 4th to 5th at 120-125 mph and it still pulled like crazy.  Ran out of bike before running out of engine as the bat wing made the front end VERY light at top end.  I wouldn't change the cams
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »

JMO

You've got the sickness, LOL. Do you know of any 12 step programs?? 
I would stay with your original build.  Once you get into boring the cases then why gain only 4 CI?  The gain vs money will be???
 It's costing me about $300. for the case boring and center bolt  

Then of course then why not a 120" kit, a 124" or ....?
If I woulda known that S&S was coming out w/ a Granite 124, before I got into this build, that is the route I woulda went (see my op)

I've been there, done that!   I love my 117" but not sure I would do that again.
Why? Have you had issues related to the 117? 

My latest bike stayed a 110".
'Was perfectly happy with the SE Stage III, until ESP denied a claim due to a failed lifter, and refused to reinstate, unless I ran the bike bone stock, no pipes, no tune, nothing... So my dealer and I agreed to build the bottom end and go 113 so that I could have the cylinders bored by a competent machine shop, which we don't have in this area, that's when the "may as well, while we're in there" started...[/i] :nixweiss:

However it really depends on your addiction, the monkey on your back. 
 The '05 SEEG is bone stock :cherry:, the '01 Switchblade traps towards 120 :pepper:
I fight with mine all the time.  Heck, I'm looking at putting a 98" kit on my 95" SERK because I already own the kit.  But that's just my excuse, it really doesn't make any sense to do it.  I have to go take an exhaust off now to try another for more power...got to feed the addition monkey.  Good luck.

As you can see, I'm really good at justification. Would you be my sponsor??? Thanks!

JW

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »

It is your engine.....do as you please.

Some thoughts since this is no longer a hurry up project.

I would not run nicasil cylinders if they were free......they run a tick cooler....big deal its nothing new and has proven to become a problem in aircooled engines.

I honestly do not understand what the big deal with rings is,a phone call to two of the ring manufacturers....not the piston companies....should be all that is needed to take care of this.....best bet ? find another company to supply the pistons and move on.

Randy @ hyperformance has a piston for the 4.06 SE cylinders in a couple of bore sizes,might want to contact him.
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »

I have been to the 12 step program @ least 4 times.  I was never a very good student.

Problems?  Well.... if your bored on night grab a couple cold ones and put "Lexi" in the search box.  That will tell some of the story.  This scooter has been snake bit, BFH (bike from hell)  But I'm stubborn and will not quit.

But seriously, do what feels right.  You do the best you can and make fixes from there. 

Seems with Nikasil; builders either endorse em or hate em. 

Hope everything works out.  Good luck bro.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »

Welcome to my world. I just wanted to get some heat off the thing, then a reject on ESP and the slippery slope started. Hey maybe the shops are paying the ESP people off and the shops are conspiring on the work upgrades. Just a thought, no one held a gun to my head.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »

Welcome to my world. I just wanted to get some heat off the thing, then a reject on ESP and the slippery slope started. Hey maybe the shops are paying the ESP people off and the shops are conspiring on the work upgrades. Just a thought, no one held a gun to my head.

Didn't you bring your bike straight from the Dealer to Oasis???

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »

Dang Ed, I am sure you have already explored all you options, but as I was thinking 113 the thought in my mind was to take the Suburban Speed piston that are 10.5's and mill the dome to a flat top. From my understanding there is enough dome thickness in that piston to do so and those pistons are supplied with rings
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

I ran a 124 with the .625's in my 04 pumpkin.  Loved the low end torque and believe me, you didn't miss anything at 90 mph!  With the stock 5 speed and wide open, I would shift 4th to 5th at 120-125 mph and it still pulled like crazy.  Ran out of bike before running out of engine as the bat wing made the front end VERY light at top end.  I wouldn't change the cams
'Know what you mean about running out of bike, balance is the primary consideration whenever I do any mods on anything I own...

Since we have the aero-management, and suspension of the SERG dialed in, the bike is stable as a brick at 110+. ('know things change exponentially above those speeds, but the '09 feels like it can handle it)   95+ is where I prefer the Shark over the Bat

Thanks for the feedback on the cams!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »

It is your engine.....do as you please.

Some thoughts since this is no longer a hurry up project.

I would not run nicasil cylinders if they were free......they run a tick cooler....big deal its nothing new and has proven to become a problem in aircooled engines.

I honestly do not understand what the big deal with rings is,a phone call to two of the ring manufacturers....not the piston companies....should be all that is needed to take care of this.....best bet ? find another company to supply the pistons and move on.

Randy @ hyperformance has a piston for the 4.06 SE cylinders in a couple of bore sizes,might want to contact him.

'Having heard the horror stories about the nicasils, I am a bit skeptical...

Both Oasis and T-Man use nicasils and bank their stellar reputations on them.

Both Oasis and T-Man know that durability is my primary concern with this Build, and that I want a bike that I can have confidence in over the long haul...

'Know that the nicasils are a "love or hate" with Builders :nixweiss:

'Thought that Wiseco made their own rings?

That's why I asked for and appreciate! y'alls input.

On your recommendation, I will speak with Oasis tomorrow about the possibility of going with different pistons/rings, maybe 4.060 +.005???

Thanks again,
Ed

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »

Dang Ed, I am sure you have already explored all you options, but as I was thinking 113 the thought in my mind was to take the Suburban Speed piston that are 10.5's and mill the dome to a flat top. From my understanding there is enough dome thickness in that piston to do so and those pistons are supplied with rings

David, 'never thought that one would have to modify pistons in the world of plug & play that we enjoy in today's Harley Aftermarket, especially on a 113???

'Remember back in the day ('70s) when I started with the Harleys, if you wanted something custom, you pretty much had to make it yourself...

Do you have your name on a Granite 124 yet??? Tell the truth... LOL!

Thanks for the info!

70* and sunny today, gotta get the '05 out of the barn :cherry:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »

David, 'never thought that one would have to modify pistons in the world of plug & play that we enjoy in today's Harley Aftermarket, especially on a 113???

'Remember back in the day ('70s) when I started with the Harleys, if you wanted something custom, you pretty much had to make it yourself...

Do you have your name on a Granite 124 yet??? Tell the truth... LOL!

Thanks for the info!

70* and sunny today, gotta get the '05 out of the barn :cherry:

I guess to some manor never out grew those days, still pretty bad about if I cant find just what I want modify it till it is...... then wonder why the hell did I do that and what was I thinking....lol.

WELL..... names not on one yet....but.....  Something to think about if your not already to deep in this motor, I emailed S&S on the granite 124 and the response I got from them pretty much says yes we are getting ready to produce granite, but didn't come out and say 124. That being said if they produce granite then would think that a person would stand a chance of getting anything in their product line in granite. The 124 would be nice, but I have been asking about a 116 kit using our granite case, their 4 5/8 crank and a drop in 4" jug. Now we keep our case with the matching SN, still keep granite jugs with o-ring bases, and could still use our 110 heads which I believe would work decent at that CI displacement. When finished we have a stock looking CVO that would be what HD should have offered from the beginning as an upgrade to the 110.

All that said maybe I should reread the first line I wrote and just order the 124....lol.

I am glad it is 70 somewhere and you can grab that ride out of the barn. Burn the road up for those of us that are looking out the window seeing more white stuff.  :2vrolijk_21:

David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »

Right mods, wrong bike(owner). No that guy had wrecked and bought a limited. Mine is a 2010 cvo ultra. My spiral was more slowly accomplished. I went 110- 110 cams, breather, tune- 113, 7sp- 117, Timken- and misc. add on's along the way, Dakota  digitals, radio display to blue(Iron Horse) LED's to go with tourpack splitter, Progressive's, SE shifter, Hogtunes tweeter dash, VH hi-outputs and xovr hdrs and a few more. Makes me tear up thinking about it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.