Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91911 times)

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
Re: 113" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »

how you make the domes

2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »

TorqueInc,
Those pistons look like they have some potential!
Do you have a foundry in the back yard? lol
Are these pistons going to require any crank balancing?

David,
The Build remains the same, except for the nicasils and 4 more inches.
I guess somebody needs to be the 'monkey' for the nicasils, it may as well be me... :nixweiss:

'Never thought that there would be this much 'piston drama' in this day and time :nervous: :nervous: especially with "off the shelf" components...

'Got an early education about gearing, and operating ranges, racing speed boats, in my younger days. 'Was fortunate to be involved with OMC and Mercury in their V-6 Development Programs, in the '70s, as the V-6s were a quantum leap in the technology of the time.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »

TorqueInc,
Those pistons look like they have some potential!
Do you have a foundry in the back yard? lol
Are these pistons going to require any crank balancing?

David,
The Build remains the same, except for the nicasils and 4 more inches.
I guess somebody needs to be the 'monkey' for the nicasils, it may as well be me... :nixweiss:

'Never thought that there would be this much 'piston drama' in this day and time :nervous: :nervous: especially with "off the shelf" components...

'Got an early education about gearing, and operating ranges, racing speed boats, in my younger days. 'Was fortunate to be involved with OMC and Mercury in their V-6 Development Programs, in the '70s, as the V-6s were a quantum leap in the technology of the time.

They do not require the engine to be rebalanced...I provide factory pistons to the manufacturer to get the weights within a couple grams....hell none of the Harley engines(that I know of) are balanced from the factory anyhow.

Nope no foundry...foundrys are the devil...followed by pattern makers and guys who own machine shops that actually do raw casting machining

www.jwperf.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »

John,
4cc dome might could work for me, PM you. Back cut and straight rods, looks good. What is the dome thickness when you done with them? 2.17 In 1.65 Ex, that is a head full of valves....lol

Ed
Honestly you may have the best before the rest of us do with the Rev kit. When you go to asking around about them lots and lots of people can tell stories of all the bad times of old with them, but never hear any horror stories in the recent times.

We never had enough water to spend much time with the race boats, but sure spent a lot of time on the quarter mile and the local dirt tracks. I am thinking fast on the water would scared the s*@t out of me!! I guess the piston drama is something I have seen enough of the it doesn't bother me a whole lot to throw a piston in the piston vice and mill the dome to whatever is needed and rebalance, if the crown thickness is there. I kind of have an advantage on that though because my brother owns an automotive machine shop complete with dyno. I still have a lot to learn about the Twin Cam world and have learned a whole lot by listening to what these builders have to say as well a the members here.....now if I could just understand it.....

What kind of time line are they thinking now?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:46:55 PM by Yellow09SERG »
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2014, 09:51:27 PM »

John, how are the Harley crank rod assy's balanced? In the auto world you balance the piston, the rod, and create a bob weigh that bolts to the crank....how does that work in the HD world when the crank/rods are assembled as one piece?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2014, 10:15:31 PM »

John,
4cc dome might could work for me, PM you. Back cut and straight rods, looks good. What is the dome thickness when you done with them? 2.17 In 1.65 Ex, that is a head full of valves....lol

Ed
Honestly you may have the best before the rest of us do with the Rev kit. When you go to asking around about them lots and lots of people can tell stories of all the bad times of old with them, but never hear any horror stories in the recent times.

We never had enough water to spend much time with the race boats, but sure spent a lot of time on the quarter mile and the local dirt tracks. I am thinking fast on the water would scared the s*@t out of me!! I guess the piston drama is something I have seen enough of the it doesn't bother me a whole lot to throw a piston in the piston vice and mill the dome to whatever is needed and rebalance, if the crown thickness is there. I kind of have an advantage on that though because my brother owns an automotive machine shop complete with dyno. I still have a lot to learn about the Twin Cam world and have learned a whole lot by listening to what these builders have to say as well a the members here.....now if I could just understand it.....

What kind of time line are they thinking now?
Oasis and T-Man should have their goodies to Heritage Cycles H-D 'the first of this coming week. The GM asked me yesterday for a little 'breathing room', since the Service Dept. is swamped with Daytona. We're gettin' closer :nervous: 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »

is it time to go back and edit the subject line to 117? lol

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »

John, how are the Harley crank rod assy's balanced? In the auto world you balance the piston, the rod, and create a bob weigh that bolts to the crank....how does that work in the HD world when the crank/rods are assembled as one piece?

From the factory they are not balanced,what hoban,silvermoon,falicon,r&r cycle and others do seems to vary some but I leave the crank work to the pros.

www.jwperf.com

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »

John, would the 110 cyl's take that much of an over bore? I was under the impression that .060 was pushing it.

no problems with .060 on 4" cylinders,we`ve done quite a few sets,no probs

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

John the only DOMES I can see are in your avatar sic !!!  And you rocking the bibs  :2vrolijk_21:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2014, 12:54:39 AM »

Bibs everyday brother  :2vrolijk_21:

www.jwperf.com

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2014, 01:40:23 AM »

Here's a set of CP's at 4.075" bore. This piston is made with a 6cc dome that was whittled down to a flat top and then thermal barrier coatings were applied to the crowns and dry film to the skirts. Just got them finished up a couple days ago but thought you guys might like to check them out.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2014, 02:23:50 AM »

Those look good.
Are those the new bullet style. If they are I didn't think you could cut the dome cause those were too thin due to the lightweight design. I deal with the factory direct and that's what they said?

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »

Yes they're bullet series but these are custom tailored with the intent of having one piston to cover 2 applications. They are made with the dome for those that need it but the custom design permits cutting it down to a flat top. The set you see in the picture were domed and have been cut.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »

Here's a set of CP's at 4.075" bore. This piston is made with a 6cc dome that was whittled down to a flat top and then thermal barrier coatings were applied to the crowns and dry film to the skirts. Just got them finished up a couple days ago but thought you guys might like to check them out.

Purdy :2vrolijk_21:

How long have you been using the coatings? Is there any real world data as to the benefits of the thermal coatings? BlackDiamond seemed to have some issues with the coatings on his "Lexi" Build...
About how much $ to have the tops of the pistons coated?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.