Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gap in Headlight Trim Ring  (Read 5192 times)

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
Gap in Headlight Trim Ring
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »

I know I read in the past that people have had problems with a gap in the headlight trim ring.  I put the extended trim ring on my last 3 bikes and I like the look of it.  I had the dealer install the extending rings on the headlight and the spots.  I didn't really look at it before I left the dealership, but there was at least a 1/4 gap on the headlight ring.  I tried to snug it up a bit, but couldn't get it to close much.  I did not get the instructions with the ring, but as I recall, you loosen up the screw that holds on the stock ring and then install extended ring, which is what I did.  Anybody else have the same problem recently and if so, were you able to fix it somehow?  Thanks.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Gap in Headlight Trim Ring
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »

Mine had a gap, tightened screw on stock ring and it fit much better. Have no idea why or if that made the difference. Easy to try.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »

Mine had a gap, tightened screw on stock ring and it fit much better. Have no idea why or if that made the difference. Easy to try.

I tightened it, loosened it, even took it out completely.  Nothing helped.  I think that it is a bad ring.  Looks like a cheap add-on with the gap.  I think I am going to exchange it for another and see if there is a difference.  Thanks for your reply.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:49:48 AM »

Please post pics.

Yzernie

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE that had the engine blow up twice.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »

Please post pics.
Pics would be great!!
"The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it" - Unknown

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »

Here is a picture of it.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »

Here is a picture of it.

Think of it as a drain for any water infiltration...   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »

If I recall,you leave the stock headlight ring on?

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »

If I recall,you leave the stock headlight ring on?

Yes, you leave it on, but you loosen the mounting screw for the stock ring first.

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 05:59:05 AM »

Ok, keep in mind that I just bought this 40k bike three days ago.  Called the dealership and the parts mgr gets on the phone.  He tells me they are supposed to have a gap because he is looking at an 05 RK as he is talking to me and it has a gap.  I should have told him to take a walk over to the 12 CVO SG that I just traded and it has no gap.  Look at HD's pictures of bikes with trim rings.  You can see the line where the ends come together...big deal, but there is no gap.  Sorry for the rant, but idiot responses like that get to me a little.

Here is the conclusion (not solution) that I have drawn.  The ring that I put on my bike is only sold for 2014s.  I think that you may need a slightly larger ring for the 2014s than for prior years.  I think that they just took the ring from prior years and made some other modification to it as far as how it may stay in place.  So, I think if you have a 2014, you are going to have this gap no matter what you do until they modify the part a little.

I could be wrong.  Has anyone put the extended trim ring on a CVO Limited or bike with the same headlight and not get the gap?  Thanks.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 06:46:37 AM »

Looks like you need a proper size screw driver and tighten that screw down.    Get a good grip on it and turn it.   That should go away. . I have one on my sg with the stock ring still on.  Stuart

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »

Ok, keep in mind that I just bought this 40k bike three days ago.  Called the dealership and the parts mgr gets on the phone.  He tells me they are supposed to have a gap because he is looking at an 05 RK as he is talking to me and it has a gap.  I should have told him to take a walk over to the 12 CVO SG that I just traded and it has no gap.  Look at HD's pictures of bikes with trim rings.  You can see the line where the ends come together...big deal, but there is no gap.  Sorry for the rant, but idiot responses like that get to me a little.

Here is the conclusion (not solution) that I have drawn.  The ring that I put on my bike is only sold for 2014s.  I think that you may need a slightly larger ring for the 2014s than for prior years.  I think that they just took the ring from prior years and made some other modification to it as far as how it may stay in place.  So, I think if you have a 2014, you are going to have this gap no matter what you do until they modify the part a little.

I could be wrong.  Has anyone put the extended trim ring on a CVO Limited or bike with the same headlight and not get the gap?  Thanks.

Mine has a small gap. I've spent more time reading this post then I ever spent worrying about it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.