Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frame scrape  (Read 1759 times)

lnadler

Frame scrape
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »

The bottom of my frame has an 8" scrape from going over a low curb. The paint is scraped off and I don't want it to rust. I don't necessarily have to paint it blue- I just want to protect it from the elements. Would appreciate any help.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Frame scrape
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »

Going to have to paint it in order to stop it from rusting. If it is underneath quality of refinish work would not have to be as good as on tank but you still probably want  a decent job. I would sand it with 400 wet, tape off the area around it and using airbrush put a light coat of expoxy primer, then follow up with color coat. If your frame is black it is powder coat, best you can do is a decent paint touch-up.
Most folks would just spray some black on and let it go.

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:27:30 PM »

Going to have to paint it in order to stop it from rusting. If it is underneath quality of refinish work would not have to be as good as on tank but you still probably want  a decent job. I would sand it with 400 wet, tape off the area around it and using airbrush put a light coat of expoxy primer, then follow up with color coat. If your frame is black it is powder coat, best you can do is a decent paint touch-up.
Most folks would just spray some black on and let it go.

Yup, that's what I would do also.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:51:47 AM »

Sand it thoroughly, dry it well maybe wipe with a solvent and spray it with a rattle can black. As long as it's clean and dry, even the cheapest paint will work for this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:06 AM »

If it was me, after sanding and cleaning the area,  I would either get some Rust-o-leum w/primer in one, carefully spray some into the cap of the can or similar, and apply a couple thick coats with a small brush, second coat minutes after the other (don't apply more coats after it is dry or it will wrinkle) or brush on some POR-15. Epoxy paint would be good too. I would not spray it on for risk of overspray. With a brush you can control exactly where it goes.

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 21 queries.