Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is an easy way to protect the paint under my seat?  (Read 3389 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
What is an easy way to protect the paint under my seat?
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »

I have a new solo seat coming. It's larger than the stock seat and will set higher on my rear fender. I'm reluctant to use 3M Scotchgard paint protection film because it looks difficult to apply. I will also have to remove the protective covering under my pillion. Suggestions very much appreciated.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: What is an easy way to protect the paint under my seat?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »

Go to the HD dealer and buy some of the clear plastic stickers that they give as part of a kit with the flags that snap onto a Tour Pack or any of a hundred other parts that HD thinks might rub the paint.

Take the new seat and thickly apply some bike wax to the bottom of the seat.  Carefully so you don't smear it, install the seat into place.  If you can't do that just set it straight down into place without hooking the front.  Carefully lift the seat back off.  Where you see the wax is wear you need to apply the stickers.  Make sure you clean the wax off with rubbing alcohol first.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:37:02 AM »

Go to the HD dealer and buy some of the clear plastic stickers that they give as part of a kit with the flags that snap onto a Tour Pack or any of a hundred other parts that HD thinks might rub the paint.

Take the new seat and thickly apply some bike wax to the bottom of the seat.  Carefully so you don't smear it, install the seat into place.  If you can't do that just set it straight down into place without hooking the front.  Carefully lift the seat back off.  Where you see the wax is wear you need to apply the stickers.  Make sure you clean the wax off with rubbing alcohol first.

I would add to the above that you will probably want to actually sit on the seat with your full weight to make sure you find all the points of contact.  Some seats flex enough to make a difference.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »

3m Scotchgard Proctectant is easy to apply.   You first clean then spray the area with a solution made up of water with a little of ivory dishwashing soap.

Peel the protectant off its backing and slide it into place.  The soap and water solution allows you to slide it around.  Then squeegee all the water/solution out from under the tape and let dry.

Hope this helps

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »

I agree that the 3M film is the best way to go, and it really isn't that hard to apply if you follow the instructions.  Where it can become tricky is if you apply it to a surface with compound curves, in which case you may need to cut little slices out to make everything lay flat.  Look at the fitted kits from the Motorcycle Armor folks for an example.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »

3m Scotchgard Proctectant is easy to apply.   You first clean then spray the area with a solution made up of water with a little of ivory dishwashing soap.

Peel the protectant off its backing and slide it into place.  The soap and water solution allows you to slide it around.  Then squeegee all the water/solution out from under the tape and let dry.

Hope this helps

I agree completely.

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »

Any film protectant will work. I had my front fairing done and at the same time did under the seat and the tank area where the bullnose touches the tank.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

I have used 3M clear for years, easy to apply, all you need is a straight edge to cut it and a razor blade along with a  a 2" window tint type rubber squeegee with a old empy bottle of window cleaner. Cost wise a piece of 3M approx a foot square can usually be picked up as a roll-end from most sign shops for a couple bucks. Use a piece of scotch tape on the front and the rear sides of a corner and simply pull apart to start removal of backing, then spray area to be protected with water with a drop or so of car wash type soap, try to stay away from dawn, it will cloud more than less alkaline car wash soap. Do not over squeegee as the very small bubbles will dry and go away in sun. Easy Peasy, you will be impressed at the finished product and only takes a few minutes.
Harley will charge you more and pieces will be small, try a sign shop IMHO the 3M is more "Clear" than the cheaper stuff.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.